PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a long time enthusiast...

buddy plant
06-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone! I have been lurking here for a bit, and I guess its time I introduced myself. Anyway, I own a pair of JBL Flair speakers (C45), with the S4 system. I purchased them new in 1973. For now they are driven by a Denon Class A amp with 200 watts per channel. I've been very happy with these speakers over the years. They put out lots of bass, and to my ears they sound real nice. The sponge parts on the grill covers got hard from aging so I removed what didn't fall off, and replaced it with a burlap type fabric. I have had both woofers re-coned by JBL authorized repair shops in 1987, and again earlier this year. I primarily use these for Rock music, but they sound great when playing Classical, and Jazz too. Due to my satisfaction level for the past 34 years, I consider these speakers a bargain, worth every penny I paid for them.
Bud Plant

buddy plant
06-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Somehow I put this post in the wrong forum. I meant for it to go into the "General Audio Discussion" forum. The speakers are NOT for sale at this time. If someone wants to move my original post to the correct forum I would appreciate that very much.

mech986
06-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi Buddy Plant,

Welcome to LH!! Sure hope you enjoy your stay here. Very nice Flairs, especially with the intact 3D grilles and the stands. I haven't seen the S4 system in that cabinet but sounds like a great combination. You certainly have taken good care of them, especially with reconing the bass driver twice, should be good for another decade or two.

I've got a pair of Flair cabinets in a little rougher shape, some moisture had gotten to the bottoms and split the seams on one side of each speaker. Looking to see what I could do to recover them.

Are you in NorCal or SoCal? In either case, you'll have plenty of LH buddies and friends to share your JBL interests with. Just be careful, we'll probably take you over to the dark side!

Regards,

Bart

Titanium Dome
06-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Your kit looks nice.

I have some of those same books on my bookshelves.