PDA

View Full Version : Changing binding Posts on L-300

bloatedpig
06-09-2007, 07:55 PM
My friend is thinking of changing the twist type speaker wire binding posts to accept bannana plugs on his 300's...........how are the posts connected on the inside? Is there soldering that needs to be done or slip on connectors? We need to access the rear panel right, or do we need to remove the woofer and go through the front? Never had to dabble with this before....I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks

remusr
06-10-2007, 01:02 PM
You need access to both sides via the woofer opening. Posts are held in with a nut and use a small flat male tab for a press-on connector. Easily replaced with standard gold-brass banana plugs having a male connector on the back. Don't have to be very long either.

bloatedpig
06-16-2007, 03:31 AM
what is "a small flat male tab for a press-on connector?..............and how are the connections on the inside to the terminals?.........is there soldering involved or a slip-on type wire fitting?

Thanks for the help

Uncle Paul
06-17-2007, 11:02 AM
He's referring to a spade type connector like these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=41&ObjectGroup_ID=400

Don't throw the original parts away in case you want to restore them to original condition later. L300's are collectable. I'd place them in a plastic baggie and staple them inside the cabinet near the new terminals or stuff the bag securely behind the fiberglass.

sourceoneaudio
06-18-2007, 12:56 PM
what is "a small flat male tab for a press-on connector?..............and how are the connections on the inside to the terminals?.........is there soldering involved or a slip-on type wire fitting?

Thanks for the help

Bloatedpig,
I upgraded both types of standard JBL input connectors on a pair of 4401 Control Monitors, and a pair of L15's. The L15's have the twist connectors you are referring too it is a very easy swap, here is your Parts Express part number.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-302&CFID=5426915&CFTOKEN=10721370

Remove the 5 way binding post from the plastic plate they come attached to. It is a direct swap, no drilling or soldering required. If the standard JBL push type connector is used you have to ream out the hole with a 5/32" bit, and do a 1/4" drill bit dia. shallow counter sink from the back side, because the new post has a shoulder on it. So to get it to fit flush it needs a little room.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
J/S-S1A :D

hjames
06-18-2007, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the help

Here's what I did when I set my L200s up for bi-amping. I made a pair of small wooden panels from some birch I got at Home Depot. Measure them so they'd be just a bit larger than the opening on the back of my speaker.
I drilled them and mounted 2 pairs of Parts Express brass 5-way binding posts on each one. (For an L300 you could just do one pair on each plate, unless you want to get into biamping) Then I soldered a length of zip cord (about 18 inches I think) to the connectors that came with the bind posts - taking care to mark them red or black on the inside and out. Then I pulled the woofers so I could get to the inside of the box. I removed the original plates that were held to the back of the cabinet with short screws, then mounted my replacement plates in their place.
Connect the lines from your binding posts to the crossover network in the box. Then reinstall the woofer.

If you do go this route be sure to keep ALL your original hardware as a potential buyer/collector may want them to return to "stock" at some point.

bloatedpig
06-30-2007, 06:30 PM
No Bi-amp at this time, but thanks.............sourceone, thanks for the time to post the very helpfull pics!

Best regards

T.Rex
06-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Hi guys.....I am planning to change-out my binding posts and have a question.......originally I replaced with cheaper Parts Express, direct swap binding posts but want to use something a little beefier. Sourceoneaudio shows some internal shots of his speakers with the binding post nut tightening against an "intersection" so to speak. I have a wire leading to the L and another leading to the R binding posts connecting with female quick-disconnects accordingly on the inside of the speaker. My question is: Does my inside securing binding post nut have to touch the "intersection" or do the leads leading to each binding post suffice? Sourceones speakers are not L300's and am not sure if the same applies to my set up. My replacement posts are of a larger diameter and the attaching nut would not sit where the current one does. There is a rectangular particle board piece covering this area and I can not see behind it. There are holes only for the binding post nut. I hope this is not too confusing......................................... ...............Thanks!

T.Rex
06-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Never mind, I got it covered