PDA

View Full Version : Altec 9815-8A need help

bridgeman1894
06-07-2007, 02:24 AM
I am looking for some info, may be a spec sheet or some form of technical information, sizes types of speakers etc, for Altec Lancing 9815-8A loudspeakers. I have two of them and they was probably first instaled in around 1992-3. Can any one help?

moldyoldy
06-07-2007, 02:48 AM
Welcome!

The 9815-8A is the functional equivalent of the M500 sytem in a nicer finished cab;

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/systems/M500%20Speaker%20System.pdf

3154 LF, 909-8A HF (OEM version, no rear cover or mag rubber) on an MR994 MantaRay horn, custom-built XO with switchable CD EQ. M500 pre-rigged to fly, not sure if 9815 is or not.

I have a pair of the M500s. IMO, considering size and all other factors, one of Altec's best 2-way systems. Not as efficient as the older 2-ways, but capable of higher sustained output before distortion, and more uniform power response than most of their other direct radiator reflex systems. Optimal performance with low DF, SS amps.

For home/nearfield use, get them off the floor till the horn is near listening position ear height for best imaging. If possible, keep them out of room corners to minimize early reflections from the 90 degree horns. If they must be in/near corners in a small room, hang a rug or other absorbant material on the wall, directly beside and extending a few feet in front of them.

Also excellent for small venue SR, sub optional.

Hang onto them. ;)

bridgeman1894
06-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Welcome!

The 9815-8A is the functional equivalent of the M500 sytem in a nicer finished cab;

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/systems/M500%20Speaker%20System.pdf

3154 LF, 909-8A HF (OEM version, no rear cover or mag rubber) on an MR994 MantaRay horn, custom-built XO with switchable CD EQ. M500 pre-rigged to fly, not sure if 9815 is or not.

I have a pair of the M500s. IMO, considering size and all other factors, one of Altec's best 2-way systems. Not as efficient as the older 2-ways, but capable of higher sustained output before distortion, and more uniform power response than most of their other direct radiator reflex systems. Optimal performance with low DF, SS amps.

For home/nearfield use, get them off the floor till the horn is near listening position ear height for best imaging. If possible, keep them out of room corners to minimize early reflections from the 90 degree horns. If they must be in/near corners in a small room, hang a rug or other absorbant material on the wall, directly beside and extending a few feet in front of them.

Also excellent for small venue SR, sub optional.

Hang onto them. ;)

Thanks for info much apretiated.
bridgeman1894