PDA

View Full Version : JBL factory kits with EXPIRED glue tubes

GordonW
06-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Just a word to the wise.

Got a JBL LE15H kit. Went to put it in, discovered the date code on the Bostik glue had expired.

Like, back in 2002. As in FIVE YEARS too old. Consistency of sticky paste. :blink:

Decided NOT to use it... discretion being the better part of valor. :D

Anyone getting JBL factory kits... be SURE and LOOK at the glue tube, for the date code!! The rest of the kit is obviously fine, but that glue does definitely have a finite shelf life!!

Fortunately, I had plenty of appropriate glue on hand (we're a reconing shop), but I have to wonder if JBL would have sent replacement glue if I had complained about it... anyone had this experience?

Regards,
Gordon.

John
06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Just a word to the wise.

Got a JBL LE15H kit. Went to put it in, discovered the date code on the Bostik glue had expired.

Like, back in 2002. As in FIVE YEARS too old. Consistency of sticky paste. :blink:

Anyone getting JBL factory kits... be SURE and LOOK at the glue tube, for the date code!! The rest of the kit is obviously fine, but that glue does definitely have a finite shelf life!!

Well if the glue is 5+ years old, I guess the cone kit is too? As well the foam surround is 5 years old already so someone is going to get a shorter lifespan from that LE15 then they should.

GordonW
06-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Not as concerned about the foam. The kit was in a sealed box, so it wasn't exposed to outside air and contaminants, to much of an extent. I've actually seen experiments, where one piece of foam was put into a bag, and the other not... and the foam in the bag would last MUCH LONGER than the one in 'open air'.

Yes, it's a bit older... but given that most modern foam (polyether) lasts much longer than foam made over 10 years ago (polyurethane)... it should be fine.

Regards,
Gordon.

SMKSoundPro
06-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Yes, I too have received "old" glue with kits.

I am using moyen glue for things, and squeezing every liitle bit of the tubes.

The glue that Roger at Sound Speaker Repair in Tucson turned me onto is: Blacken 99. He was able to get it from Taiwan, and seems to be exactly the same as CP Moyen. It flowed out of the tube BEAUTIFULLY!!!

Every dust dome looked an automated robot had dispensed the glue, perfectly! I was really proud of the results. Now, Roger says he cannot get this brand for what ever reason.

So, I am back to using the glue in the JBL kits and saving every little drop.

I am not using Bostick glue anymore, simply because I don't have any.

I know there is alot of glue and industrial adhesives out there, but will always use what momma jbl tells me to. Its just that simple.

Scott.

Andyoz
06-06-2007, 12:37 PM
I noticed that the glue that came with my 104H (4 " midrange) re-cone kit was dated 1999!

What do you guys think about using it?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/andyoz/IMG_0797.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/andyoz/IMG_0796.jpg

John
06-06-2007, 12:39 PM
You will have to decide this yourself by opening it up and see how it flows out of the tube.

SMKSoundPro
06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
You will have to decide this yourself by opening it up and see how it flows out of the tube.

DITTO!

edgewound
06-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Just a word to the wise.

Fortunately, I had plenty of appropriate glue on hand (we're a reconing shop), but I have to wonder if JBL would have sent replacement glue if I had complained about it... anyone had this experience?

Regards,
Gordon.

Gordon,

Bostik can be reactivated with acetone or MEK if available.

Empty the tubes of glue into a squeeze bottle and thin down with the solvent...if it gets a little thick over time, add some more solvent to make the glue flow again. Learned that at JBL training ;).

Just about any solvent-based glue can be reactivated with the solvent, you just have to try it.