PDA

View Full Version : Replacing crossover elements

BIG RED
02-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Hello all, I have a few pairs of what I consider very nice Jbl's.What I am looking to do now is replacing crossover componets with newer stock.The speakers in question all sound very nice and have been reconed.Will this make a big sound difference in the speakers?My wife has put her foot down and feels that 7 pairs is enough.I am open for any and all feedback.

speakerdave
02-08-2004, 06:40 PM
"My wife has put her foot down and feels that 7 pairs is enough"

SEVEN pairs of SHOES!?

BIG RED
02-08-2004, 07:02 PM
no seven pairs of JBL.

boputnam
02-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Hey, big... ;)

There's been quite a bunch of posting of re: crossovers. Giskard, for one, has been very encouraging of adding bypass caps in certain instances. Then, there are the posts of Earl K who is often pushing the envelope in crossover design/components.

What you might do, is Search various strings for "crossover"s, "network"s, and for those networks specific to your 7-pair. You are entering a very complicated space. Are you good with a soldering iron...? Do you feel lucky... :rotfl:

AudioGeek
02-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Hey Big Red,

Call Chuck Tocci at 508-588-8389 (Boston). He does very good work and can design/build probably any X-over you might want. He'll discuss the various parts options with you, etc. Prices are reasonable too.

BIG RED
02-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks to all,I have a great EE friend.We trade goof jobs,when I have an ID.IO T error with my computer system its handled.When serious Grunt work is needed its covered.I guess what I wanted to know is do I trade existing cap values for newer same value caps or is it worth tweeking the bejesus out of the cross overs?Thank you all for the output and I might make that call.Damn is'nt this site great.