PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction Quadrex installation

Fisherdude
06-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm going to be installing new repro Quadrex grills on my L100's, and I have a question on preparing the frames.

My current grills have the JBL replacements for the original Quadrex (at least that's what I assume they are!). They are smooth chocolate brown cloth with JBL logos. The black backing cloth is intact and in perfect condition, as is the front chocolate cloth. The frame holding the chocolate cloth appears to be glued in. I'm assuming this would need to be removed, and the repro Quadrex foam then glued to the black backing cloth. Is this correct? Is there any way to remove the frame holding the chocolate cloth without destroying it?

Any suggestions from those that have done this replacement would be most appreciated!

Tia,
Clay

rww1951
06-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I have the same JBL replacement grilles on one set of my L100s. Those replacement have a 1/2" x 3/4" wooden frame around them if they're like mine. You will probably have to gently pry them out of the grille frame while protecting the walnut banding. When I installed mine many years ago they were just a press fit I uesd no adhesive. Pot luck on how yours were installed.

Fisherdude
06-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks!

I tried a gentle prying and tugging, with no result, although I was pretty gentle. I'll give it another try.