PDA

View Full Version : mrx or srx suitable for homeuse?

henko
06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi all.
New to this forum I would like to ask for impressions from the jbl mrx525 and the srx725. Opinions that i have read are from prosound guys that say "smooth and loud for a topbox" and I thought that a more hifioriented opinion could be found here. I cant find any of the mentioned nearby so I would like to be encouraged before i go quite far to have a listen.
What I seek in a new loudspeaker is high efficiency and good dynamics. I like "playing air-drums" listening to rock music and pretend that I am Mr Moon, so percussion need to sound realistic. I can barely hear sounds at 17 k so extreme highs are not that important. I listen to many types of rock music, opera and electronica, and I will use the speakers as mains in my home theater setup with a subwoofer.
All the best -Henko

mikebake
06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Hmmmm. Why are you looking that direction? In any event, if you want one for home, the SR's are better than the MR's. Look for an SR4735 or SR-X4735, preferably. This is a 2226 based three way, with horn loaded 8 inch cone mid and a 1.5 inch comp. driver on an integral horn. Plan on possibly needing to attenuate the mid-hi in home use. They are best when bi-amped, considerably.

johnaec
06-05-2007, 01:04 PM
I think he's looking at the SRX series, which is *completely* different than the old SR series. 'Still sound reinforcement, but much better than the original stuff...

John

mikebake
06-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Right. I mentioned the x series above. The crossover received a change as well in the X series.

johnaec
06-05-2007, 04:18 PM
'Still different than what he's asking. Due to JBL's goofy naming strategy, there's the SR-X series you mentioned, plus the all-new SRX series, that uses neodymium drivers and differential drive: http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/index.htm

Completely different.

John

Zilch
06-05-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm not seeing anything in SRX700 I'd be interested in using at home.

Look to AE series, instead, perhaps....

johnaec
06-05-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm not seeing anything in SRX700 I'd be interested in using at home.But I'll bet the SRX738 3-way would still sound pretty good! http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/738.htm

There was a guy over at ProSoundWeb that plugged some SRX725's into his home system and said he was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded. The SRX725 uses the 2451 HF driver instead of the 2431.

John

soundboy
06-05-2007, 04:58 PM
[quote=johnaec;172292]But I'll be the SRX738 3-way would still sound pretty good! http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/738.htm

I was thinking the same thing. Still rather have something more refined for home use...those babies bark in a 60 degree pattern...but, it's a pretty nice bark!

mikebake
06-05-2007, 07:35 PM
'Still different than what he's asking. Due to JBL's goofy naming strategy, there's the SR-X series you mentioned, plus the all-new SRX series, that uses neodymium drivers and differential drive: http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/index.htm

Completely different.

John
Ahhh, I get it!

boputnam
06-08-2007, 04:35 PM
...I will use the speakers as mains in my home theater setup with a subwoofer. I have only heard these in SR applications. In those settings, they are good, indeed.

I use the 712M's for my wedges, and they are terrific - they require less EQ at fewer frequencies to achieve flat response, and I would imagine that is a design characteristic of the entire line.

DJXS.ee
01-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm not seeing anything in SRX700 I'd be interested in using at home.

Look to AE series, instead, perhaps....

the three way does not appeal to you??? if i had a stupid amount of money i would rather have 2 of the SRX700 three way as fronts for a home theatre setup. an 18" transducer, come onn what more could you ask for.

having 2 MRX 528's and 2 MRX 525's does not sound bad at all, by far the best sounding speakers ive heard from JBL so far (the vertec is good haha) but we use them inside, and for our sound reinforcement gigs. in both types of venues we would be able to play it louder than our old rig, and not have so much fatigue on the ears, and the bass is tremendous but clear. the mids are loud but precise, the highs are loud as well and crisp and clean, and they blend perfectly and effortlessly. the bass in movies is undescribable. the neighbors come over when master and commander is being played, and 2000+ people inside a massive gymnasium are all feeling this sensation in their feet in chest called bass that they have never felt before. they are a wonder of JBL's power and technology. we plan on getting 2 more MRX528's. and 3 more amplifiers. you cannot go wrong with the MRX's or the SRX's. they have the best of both worlds, insane SPL, and presice clean crisp amazing and pleasing to the ears SQ.

57BELAIRE
01-12-2009, 08:36 AM
How about these? SR4738A Series II (improved crossover) three-way
biampable.

Nice thump from the 2241 and sizzle from the 2416 ti. comp. driver. The
2123 10 in. is a bit foreward but works nicely in the vocal range.

I have them hooked up in my living room...they can be a bit fatiguing after
awhile (cranked) ...sort of a poor man's L300. :bouncy:

robertbartsch
01-12-2009, 10:19 AM
...have a pair of sr4725s for HT and they kick but....

Doc Mark
01-12-2009, 12:11 PM
...have a pair of sr4725s for HT and they kick but....

Robert,

....but, what do they kick? ;););)

Doc

P.S. Just messing with you, my Friend! You obviously mean they kick "butt", othewise know as "hinie", "boo-tay", "cheeks", "nalgas", and sometimes, just plain, old "but"! ;):D;)

RIGGED
01-12-2009, 01:53 PM
How about these? SR4738A Series II (improved crossover) three-way
biampable.

Nice thump from the 2241 and sizzle from the 2416 ti. comp. driver. The
2123 10 in. is a bit foreward but works nicely in the vocal range.

I have them hooked up in my living room...they can be a bit fatiguing after
awhile (cranked) ...sort of a poor man's L300. :bouncy:

Man, those are some nice looking speaks-hard to find though.
I had the 4735s and the 4738s on my radar for a while-nothing like a big ole speaker's presence in the livin room.

RIGGED

mikebake
01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
When you listen to quality material like this, as I do, then you need SR speakers in the home to do it justice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAg5KjnAhuU

57BELAIRE
01-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Man, those are some nice looking speaks-hard to find though.
I had the 4735s and the 4738s on my radar for a while-nothing like a big ole speaker's presence in the livin room.

RIGGED

"there's nothing like a big ole speaker's presence in the livin room'

LOL well said!

boputnam
01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm not seeing anything in SRX700 I'd be interested in using at home...Bingo.

When you listen to quality material like this, as I do, then you need SR speakers in the home to do it justice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAg5KjnAhuU That there is hilarious.

I'd not bring any SR cabinet into the home - it just ain't right. Likewise, I'd not bring any studio (like 43xx or 44xx) series monitor into a SR application and expect good results. You must use the right tools for the job...

scott fitlin
01-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Bingo.

You must use the right tools for the job...AND, have the right fine finish and cosmetic appearence for THE LIVING ROOM, or WIFEY SAYS, OH HELL NOOOOO!

:rotfl:

RIGGED
01-15-2009, 09:03 AM
AND, have the right fine finish and cosmetic appearence for THE LIVING ROOM, or WIFEY SAYS, OH HELL NOOOOO!

:rotfl:

Nothin a Starbucks card can't fix. lol

RIGGED

Titanium Dome
01-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Bingo.

That there is hilarious.

I'd not bring any SR cabinet into the home - it just ain't right. Likewise, I'd not bring any studio (like 43xx or 44xx) series monitor into a SR application and expect good results. You must use the right tools for the job...

I agree, though paradoxically, I like SR amps in the house. The difference is that the SR amps often have both top notch specs and substantial power, while the SR speakers have more limited FR while having substantial power handling.

Except for "live" recordings (whatever that means anymore), there's nothing I buy that an SR speaker can accurately reproduce in the home. It can give me BIG sound, though.

Sometimes BIG is good. :yes: :dj-party:

...but I'm not interested in a loud party every night.

On a slightly different note, I wouldn't mind having Yao Ming come over to my house, but I wouldn't want him to play basketball inside.

RIGGED
01-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Sometimes BIG is good. :yes: :dj-party:

...but I'm not interested in a loud party every night.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good point TD, I strongly agree which is why I'm going to construct a platforms with castors, my spine hurts bad enough.
So now I can just wheel them in every weekend and give my drums a break during the week.:D

RIGGED

mikebake
01-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Bingo.

That there is hilarious.

Depends what the job is; if the job is to play air drums etc. maybe a decent SR solution is the ticket. Having listened to my share of SR stuff in a home environment, I think what happens is that if someone doesn't have an alternative that is sufficiently high efficiency, dynamic, and free of compression, then a decent, available SR system might be a preferable tradeoff.
The better home solutions can give you all of that and the refinement, but those are not particularly common in the overall audio landscape.

01-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I think what happens is that if someone doesn't have an alternative that is sufficiently high efficiency, dynamic, and free of compression, then a decent, available SR system might be a preferable tradeoff.

A bunch of people I know criticize the use of sound reinforcement speakers in a home environment. I also know people think certain sound reinforcement speakers are low-fi, and rightly so. Most aren't made to be used in a home environment. I'm sure a decent pair of $150 bookshelves can easily beat my Control 28s in clarity and frequency response, and I have no problem admitting that. Although most of you are probably thinking this is an unorthodox approach, I've seen the Control Contractor line used in many locations throughout my travels. I liked what I heard, so I bought a pair. Others might say they sound flat and inaccurate, but I'm honestly fine with that. As long as I like "that" sound, screw what others have to say. :D

But what's really important is how they sound to you. That's what makes this hobby so fun. There's such a broad line of speakers you can choose from for every application, each with their own unique sound. You might try out an expensive pair of speakers with glowing reviews, and think the sound like absolute crap - and that's fine. Buy what sounds good to you. After all, sound is completely objective, in my opinion of course.

RIGGED
01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
"I've seen the Control Contractor line used in many locations throughout my travels"

The Corpus Christi airport in Texas is laiden with Control 28s. I first heard them at the Kemah boardwalk, man they had them things bangin!
Sadly, the boardwalk took a one two combination courtesy of hurricane Ike, I'd be curious to see if the 28s made it.
I currently have a pair in my gameroom/garage and they sound sweet!

RIGGED

boputnam
01-17-2009, 03:34 PM
I agree, though paradoxically, I like SR amps in the house. The difference is that the SR amps often have both top notch specs and substantial power, while the SR speakers have more limited FR while having substantial power handling.Well put, Doug.

I have a rack(s) of QSC's driving my home system(s), and am really pleased with that combination. However, whenever I've been tempted to even trial a SR speaker product in the home, it ends-up just down-right silly. :o:

Oldmics
01-17-2009, 11:03 PM
I have a rack(s) of QSC's driving my home system(s), and am really pleased with that combination. However, whenever I've been tempted to even trial a SR speaker product in the home, it ends-up just down-right silly. :o:

My steadfast rule is

In the home 3-30 watts.

Outside of the home 3-30 kw. (per side of course)

Works for me :p

Oldmics

robertbartsch
01-18-2009, 12:23 AM
UHG!

If you look at the drivers in an SR series system they are the same drivers that are used in the most modern of movie-house forums - the ULTIMATE home theater!

I went to see a movie today and the sound system was truly outstanding.

RIGGED
01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
UHG!

If you look at the drivers in an SR series system they are the same drivers that are used in the most modern of movie-house forums - the ULTIMATE home theater!

I went to see a movie today and the sound system was truly outstanding.

Looks like one of those occasions where we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Well, not us Robert, we both enjoy copius amounts of SPL rockin our livin room courtesy of JBL Professional.
I did build a couple of dollys for my 4691b/SR4725s speakers today, those darn things are just too heavy to lug around.

I put them in the closet during the week, makin my livin room more aestheticlally pleasing but when the Friday rolls around-it's on!!!!!

RIGGED

01-18-2009, 07:43 PM
I put them in the closet during the week, makin my livin room more aestheticlally pleasing but when the Friday rolls around-it's on!!!!!

LOL. Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the look of JBL's professional products over their consumer line. Seems more timeless.

mikebake
01-18-2009, 08:14 PM
I did build a couple of dollys for my 4691b/SR4725s speakers today, those darn things are just too heavy to lug around.

RIGGED
Sell/dump them and get into the newer neo magnet systems; lots lighter, and mo' better.

RIGGED
01-19-2009, 10:43 AM
LOL. Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the look of JBL's professional products over their consumer line. Seems more timeless.

AMEN brother!
The pro look of these speakers is just as important as their sound-kind of like the cars of the muscle era-they just look bad A$$. lol

RIGGED

RIGGED
01-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Sell/dump them and get into the newer neo magnet systems; lots lighter, and mo' better.

LOL

Actually Mike, my gal suggested I replace them with those Bose cube like speaks, said they blend in better. :banghead:

RIGGED

mikebake
01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I just heard the top boxes for the new Eon series; first blush says good sounding and astoundingly light.