PDA

View Full Version : refurbing the old system

MLinVA
06-05-2007, 10:21 AM
I have been a live sound engineer since 1977. In 1978 I bought 2 Kenton Forsythe designed LTR-1515 cabinets and loaded them with the recommended 2220B speakers. On top of that I had 2482 horns with the phenolic diaphrams for mids and 2420 horns for the top end powered by Yamaha P2200's since the turn on voltages more closely matched the JBLs than the crowns. I ran this system with my own sound company in Woodstock, NY area for the next 20 years. During the 80's I added 4520 folded horn subs loaded with 2225s for a 4 way system. At some point Phoenix Audio in Newburg, NY went out of business and I added 2 more sets of matching mid and high horns. In 1991 I moved to West Virginia and used the system there for a few years, then moved to Virginia where the system has been sitting in a garage since 1997. Rats had invaded the bins and nested in the insulation but the speakers seem intact. All speakers and horns have shown continuity and I have the speakers pulled and wiped down. All the Anvil cases had the foam disintegrate and I am replacing that.

I have recently put together a small club system (EAW subs and full range cabs with crown XTI amps and QSC powered monitors with all Heil Microphones which are the best I have ever heard and I still use my Roland Space Echo in addition to a lexicon dual digital delay) for local work and since there aren't many engineers available I have been working for about 8 bands. I have been asked to do some outside gigs so I am cranking up the dinosaur and using my new EAW subs. I called a company in Wheaton, MD to have all the components scoped and was quoted $1600.00 to do that. I don't think that's cost effective so I am just going to hook it all up and see how it sounds. I have an outdoor 4th of July gig in the mountains with a hard rock band. Does anyone have any suggestions about refurbing this system, any cleaning instructions?

Mary Lou
the sound slut, I'll go anywhere and do anyone

Titanium Dome
06-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Welcome, Mary Lou.

There are several knob twisters, slide shovers, and case luggers on the site, so I'm certain they'll have some advice. One or two helpful hands are right there in VA, so maybe they'll chime in.

Enjoy the site. :)

Fred Sanford
06-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Where in VA? I'm running a PA at Massanutten every Tuesday night this Summer, then in Richmond on Friday, too.

je

MLinVA
06-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi JE and thanks for the welcome titanium,

I'm in Culpeper, VA sort of north central VA. I'll be running this system at Graves Mountain Lodge near Madison, VA on the 4th.

Has anyone else tried Bob Heils mics yet? I just ordered 5 more for drums. I wonder how the old system will sound after getting used to the EAWs.

Mary Lou