PDA

View Full Version : Cat Scratch Fever...Help!

Krunchy
06-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Wifes cat scratchin the hell out of one of the grille covers on 4430's
Anyone have any ideas on how to deter this kind of behavior.
Urge to kill rising!!! :die:

louped garouv
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
well placed blunt plastic blow gun loads (not the darts) when caught in the act?

:)

be careful not to hit a cone though!

http://www.sworddemon.com/productimages/bdk_white/thumb/SD24.jpg

moldyoldy
06-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Taser.

Zilch
06-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Cat repellant on the replacement grille cloth.

The commercial stuff reeks, but pepper, maybe? :dont-know

Audiobeer
06-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Declawing......that's the only thing short of choking them!

loach71
06-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Even my little cat named AK doesn't go near the JBL goodies...

;) Microwave oven? :D

hjames
06-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Wifes cat scratchin the hell out of one of the grille covers on 4430's
Anyone have any ideas on how to deter this kind of behavior.
Urge to kill rising!!! :die:

Hang 'em High!!

Speakers win over measely cat values ...

mikebake
06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Same training as used for a variety of cat no-no's; squirt gun as the cat approaches the target. Or de-clawing.

moldyoldy
06-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Same training as used for a variety of cat no-no's; squirt gun as the cat approaches the target. Or de-clawing.

No nukes? :p

Zilch
06-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Hang 'em High!!That'd work.

JBL recommends inverting 4430s when hung high.

Yup. :thmbsup:

Michael Smith
06-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Maybe a quick course in DIY taxidermy,then it's a win win situation.
Michael

just4kinks
06-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Don't declaw. It's basically like cutting their fingertips off.

My cat used to go after my cheapie KLH grills. Everytime she did I would scream at her, chase her, squirt her with water, etc. Then she figured out that it was a good way to get attention. So I started locking her in the closet for 15 minutes every time she scratched. Eventually she learned. She hasn't scratched them for 3 or 4 years. Cats are smart animals when you motivate them to pay attention.

Most importantly, make sure the cat has plenty of good scratching posts. Reward good behavior with petting, praise, and cat treats. And keep a squirt bottle nearby just in case.

Storm
06-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Why not spray the grills with the stuff that you can get at the pet store -- can't recall the name -- but it is supposed to be a strong enough scent that they stay clear of anything you spray it on.

I used it on both the valencia grilles and the JBL grilles with success. My cat scratches anything in sight, but no the speakers.

;)

-Storm.

oldsoundz
06-05-2007, 10:21 AM
You could Get a Dog

Krunchy
06-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions.
Blowguns, I just happen to have one as a matter of fact, taxidermy, who wouldnt want to take that up. Tazers are always exhilirating. Choking, as suggested by Audiobeer and Hanging by Heather (a fellow cat lover) are two options I have visualized and even dreamt of in vivid detail and great glee. The microwave could get messier then those eggs I put in there that time. Sprays have been heavily suggested by my significant other but, although they will be given a fair chance, seem to lack the high levels of ultraviolence I so dearly cherish in my later years. :D
The intricate groundwork for "The dog" has already been laid down and will be implemented in due time (spring/summer 2008).

Krunchy
06-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Hang 'em High!!

I thought you loved cats :D

Zilch
06-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Uhmmm, I thought she meant the speakers.... :p

Krunchy
06-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Uhmmm, I thought she meant the speakers.... :p
But that would require heavy lifting, manual hard work, hanging the cat would be much easier! :D and very effective.

Zilch
06-05-2007, 04:59 PM

johnaec
06-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I'd keep a squirt gun around, ('very effective!), for when you're there, but lean something, (cardboard, etc.), up against them for when you're not.

Fortunately, my cat doesn't scratch on anything except old boards outside. I have no less than 6 pairs of speakers she has ready access to - 'guess I'm lucky she doesn't seem attracted to them... :o:

John

Krunchy
06-05-2007, 05:13 PM
I'd keep a squirt gun around
Squirt Gun, I like that. It covers all the angles, plus you get an excuse to have one around, which is always a good thing! Very Handy :)

Krunchy
06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Very Cute Kitty Zilch ! :)

sourceoneaudio
06-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Big Owl! :p

Jeff
J/S-S1A

hjames
06-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I thought you loved cats :D

I DO love my kitties ...
they were rescue cats that we fell in love with ...
and we treat them well and baby them ...

but a pair of 434x Monitors is real rare ...
so our kitties need be on their BEST behaviour ...

Baron030
06-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Have you tried a Tabby Tote?
(Just kidding)

Storm
06-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Wow, that one was mean - but kind of funny at the same time.

Sheez.....

;)

-Storm.

Krunchy
06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Have you tried a Tabby Tote?
(Just kidding) Oh man! Great Price, especially since it is adjustabel, Ouch!

Krunchy
06-06-2007, 04:10 PM
I DO love my kitties ...
they were rescue cats that we fell in love with ...
and we treat them well and baby them ...

Well I guess its a good idea to have some JBL cabs around, they multitask so well.

Cyclotronguy
06-08-2007, 09:49 AM
My wife has Maude "The Enforcer" a 70 pound English Bull Terrier that whacks the cat across the head and growls whenever she fiddles with the drapes or gets too near the speakers.

Get youself a "dominatrix dog" and teach it to give the cat "direction".... good for hours of amusement.

Cyclotronguy.

richluvsound
06-09-2007, 10:28 AM
krunchy,

the only thing I love more than JBL blue !
Defender of all things mine, In return the worlds her Oyster, and chicken , fillet steak, oh yeah ! anchovies , the ultimate reward.
SQUIRT GUN gets another vote from me !

Rich:D

Uncle Paul
06-10-2007, 08:18 PM
If you can't find your squirt gun, this works, too.

Storm
06-10-2007, 08:52 PM
That is so very mean!

How cruel...

:biting:

-Storm

hjames
06-11-2007, 02:39 AM
That is so very mean!

How cruel...

:biting:

-Storm
Thats just an old funky picture of an unhappy cat with a "Lion" cut - our groomers said that cut would cost $100 for our (long hair) Himalayan (of course, I said no). That picture is ancient ...

Storm
06-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Thats just an old funky picture of an unhappy cat with a "Lion" cut - our groomers said that cut would cost $100 for our (long hair) Himalayan (of course, I said no). That picture is ancient ...

That means nothing to me. That is still a very mean trick to play on an innocent animal who can't stand up and shout - I DONT WANT THIS CUT!

;)

-Storm.

louped garouv
06-11-2007, 08:57 AM
I have my little (6#s) Maltese Dog cut like that sometimes...

I think he gets the joke, whenever we cut him like that --
he goes around "growling" at everything
(which he normally doesn't do)

back on topic, have you found something that works yet?

macaroonie
06-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Turn your amp up to 11 and play Rotweiler noises

Krunchy
06-15-2007, 08:23 PM
[quote=sourceoneaudio;172312] Big Owl! :p
I hope this baby does the trick! (available at your local garden center or HI-FI supermarket). As many of you suggested, the squirt gun seemed like a good choice to start with. Only thing is I have to catch her in the act and I am usually not home. My wife spends a lot of time in that room(which is actually the play room) with my two little kids (2 & 4) so she has become the ENFORCER! You should hear the Muppets on those speakers, its like you're right there in Plaza Sesamo :D live!. The scratching has not gotten any worse so maybe she is easing off on the grilles a bit. Gonna build a couple a scratching posts tomorrow so she can get her ya-yas out on them. The second picture shows the damage a little better, its on the upper left hand corner. The bottle with the clear liquid is my makeshift "squirt gun" it does the trick!

Krunchy
06-15-2007, 09:03 PM
krunchy,

the only thing I love more than JBL blue !
Defender of all things mine, In return the worlds her Oyster, and chicken , fillet steak, oh yeah ! anchovies , the ultimate reward.
SQUIRT GUN gets another vote from me !

Rich:D

I hear you Rich, for all her services I dare say she deserves that and then some, she's a beautiful dog. The squirt gun is winning out! especially in this modern era of political humaneness and feeling good :blink: :) :D

Robh3606
06-17-2007, 07:46 AM
:rotfl:

I love that Owl!! If you don't know it's there and turned the lights on it could scare anybody. We have a cat who loves to go after our livingroom couch.

What we did was get the clear carpet runner and cut it in strips with the grip/spike side out and dropped it onto the couch. At the same time we got one of those cardboard scrath pads and loaded it up with catknip. For the most part it worked. That gave her an alternative more to her liking.

She uses the scrath pad most of the time and we just take the carpet runner off during the day and when we are home. Good luck.

Rob:)

Krunchy
06-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Just a quick update, the cat has been really good lately, maybe she was just going through a stage, but so far so good. I'd like to thank all of you for your suggestions and comments/comics, I trully appreciate it, as do my speaker grilles :D

Fred

jim campbell
06-22-2007, 04:44 PM
:rotfl:

I love that Owl!! If you don't know it's there and turned the lights on it could scare anybody.

Rob:)folks here put those owls on the roof to keep the pigeons at bay but they soon learn and come back

Robh3606
06-22-2007, 08:10 PM
folks here put those owls on the roof to keep the pigeons at bay but they soon learn and come back

Hello Jim

Yes thats what they do that here as well. I live close to the LIRR which is the only commuter rail into NYC from Long Island. We have lots of pigeons anywhere close to the LIRR. Almost like they followed the line east?? The only thing that works long term are the spike strips on the roof peaks.

Rob:)

sourceoneaudio
06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
We use those Owl's here in AZ. to keep the friken Woodpeckers off of the house. They punched holes in my parents home and went into the attic, pretty funny sheeeeeeet. :p

Gordzilla
06-28-2007, 09:27 AM
i am moving in with my girlfriend and her two cats... been thinking about this as a possible problem. the cats attacking my gear. my speakers shall not be damaged. no way. it's not ok, i cannot allow that to happen.

does the spray have a smell that humans can detect? or find offensive?

clmrt
06-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Don't declaw. It's basically like cutting their fingertips off.

In my twisted mind, I see a mountain of little kitty fingertips somewhere.

Krunchy
06-29-2007, 04:52 PM
[ quote Gordzilla does the spray have a smell that humans can detect? or find offensive?[/quote]

I did not try any of the actual sprays that are sold over the counter, but I am sure they must have some sort of "bouquet" about them. Just dont put catnip on the grilles :D

[clmrt In my twisted mind, I see a mountain of little kitty fingertips somewhere.]

Thats sick, but they would be right next to the chicken beaks and the leftover neuterings, its a horrible image!

Donald
07-01-2007, 03:16 PM
We had cats when I bought my Dorians back in the late 60s. Needless to say they liked the grill cloth.

I finally came up with an idea that worked. Took measurements of height, depth and width of the cabs. Went to a plastic chair cover company and got two bags (flat bottom style) made in the correct dimensions in clear plastic. Slid the bags over the speakers when I was not using them. Kept the cats claws dulled and they could scratch all they wanted. Just slid on the plastic like it was glass.

Grandma had the right idea with those covers on her furniture! :)