PDA

View Full Version : JBL ES Series

Titanium Dome
06-04-2007, 07:37 AM
This is not yet announced on the JBL Website, but I've seen this info floating around for a while.

The tweeters are supposed to be better than current drivers, and, look, they have wood (like) cabinets for all you "I don't like black" folks.

http://crunchgear.com/2007/01/24/jbl-debuts-es-series-speakers/

Titanium Dome
06-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Not the entire line as the floor standers are not pictured.

Titanium Dome
06-04-2007, 07:43 AM
A similar look with different verbiage.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/jbl-es-series-set-to-rock-the-casbah-this-spring-231424.php

Andyoz
06-04-2007, 07:43 AM
I dunno, they still look a bit "naff" to me.

Give me a set of naked 250Ti's or 44xx any day.

Titanium Dome
06-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Based on the small amount of info given here, it looks like more of a repackaging than anything else, of both the Northridge E Series and the Studio L Series.

http://dlgear.com/audio/detail,537197566,jbl-goes-back-to-the-old-school-with-es-series-speakers.html

Further explanation of the HF drivers is here:http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/0307/

Scroll down to 03/02/07 for more info, plus there's some Everest II info right below it.

Titanium Dome
06-05-2007, 01:08 AM
The tower has some old and some new. The dual woofers and single midrange look like standard issue PolyPlas drivers, but the double EOS Waveguide for the HF and UHF is a first.

The cabinet sports those goofy feet.

The baffle flowing up and back to become the top is, well, ...what it is.

The tower is $500 ($1000 for a pair).

Titanium Dome
06-05-2007, 01:27 AM
As the heir apparent to the Northridge E Series (no longer on the jbl.com Web site), the ES Series is definitely positioned above the entry-level Venue Series.

One obvious omission is the lack of an E50 replacement large bookshelf, which was a very nice speaker. Also, there is no EC35 replacement, leaving the center channel duties limited to a two-way design.

WOODBURY, NY – JBL today announced the introduction of its ES Series loudspeakers, a complete lineup of home theater and stereo models that combines upgraded performance with uniquely elegant design. Successor to JBL’s acclaimed Northridge™ E Series, JBL ES Series loudspeakers utilize technologies employed in the company’s professional recording studio monitors to deliver exceptional sound quality, and are available in a variety of attractive finishes to complement any home entertainment system and décor.

The JBL ES Series making its debut at CES 2007 includes eight models: a wall-mount/bookshelf monitor (ES10); two compact bookshelf loudspeakers (ES20, ES30); two floorstanding tower speakers (ES80, ES90); a dedicated center channel loudspeaker (ES25C); and two powered subwoofers (ES150P and ES250P). Suggested retail prices for ES Series loudspeakers range from $349 per pair to $1,098 per pair.

JBL ES Series: Elegant Design and Exceptional Performance

ES Series loudspeakers feature distinctive new styling – tapered enclosures, a unified center section, and a front baffle that curves into the top surface – that blends classic and contemporary design elements. The center section is accented by contrasting side panels. The ES Series is available in a choice of stunning finishes, including black with a platinum center section; beech with a charcoal center; and cherry with a charcoal center; all have black grilles.

To achieve their superlative performance, ES Series loudspeakers incorporate a number of advanced JBL technologies, including a new ultrahigh-frequency transducer that provides extended frequency response to 40kHz, to deliver open, smooth and detailed high-frequency reproduction with a more natural quality of spaciousness over a wide listening area.

The ultrahigh-frequency transducer is complemented by a titanium-laminate tweeter made from titanium deposited on a lightweight substrate, for high rigidity, in addition to exceptional resolution and transient response. The ultrahigh-frequency transducer and tweeter are both mounted in waveguides that deliver the same frequency response off-axis as they do on-axis, and direct sound toward the listening area, rather than off the side walls, for precise imaging and localization.

ES Series woofers and midrange drivers feature cones made from JBL’s proprietary PolyPlas™ polymer-coated-cellulose-fiber cone material, which combines the sonic neutrality of paper with the added rigidity and damping of the PolyPlas treatment to attenuate cone resonances, provide a smooth frequency response with faster transients, and allow higher playback levels without distortion. The woofers incorporate a host of additional enhancements such as JBL’s HeatScape™ motor structure, which provides efficient heat dissipation for accurate driver performance, even during high-volume playback.

All models, including the subwoofers, incorporate JBL’s FreeFlow™-port technology, which utilizes a specially shaped bass port that is tuned to the woofer and enclosure for extended low-frequency response and improved efficiency. To ensure maximum clarity, ES Series loudspeakers utilize JBL’s Straight-Line Signal Path™ (SSP) crossover network, which employs a minimum of parts to ensure sonic purity.

JBL’s ES Series models feature high-strength, high-density enclosures, braced and damped to attenuate vibration and unwanted cabinet colorations; in addition, the tapered shape of the enclosures provides additional sonic benefits. All models except the ES150P and ES250P subwoofers are magnetically shielded, and include five-way binding posts to facilitate use with any type of speaker cable. The ES20, ES30, ES80 and ES90 also have dual sets of terminals for bi-wiring or bi-amping, if desired.

The ES Series offers a wealth of installation options to accommodate any home theater or music system. The ES10 compact bookshelf monitor can be mounted on a wall, and is supplied with built-in wall-mount brackets to facilitate its use in a wide variety of custom-installation, designer and architectural applications. The ES25C center channel loudspeaker may be placed on top of or below a TV set or on a shelf, and the ES80 and ES90 floorstanding towers have an elegantly proportioned, slim profile that enables them to easily fit into a home entertainment system. The 10-inch, 250-watt ES150P and 12-inch, 300-watt ES250P subwoofers include a full complement of inputs and controls to achieve optimum low-frequency response in any installation.

JBL ES Series loudspeakers will be available in late spring 2007.

MJC
06-05-2007, 06:36 AM
The towers might be good, for that price level, but the rest of the series looks way too wimpy for my taste.
For this guy's house, only large speakers need apply.

Titanium Dome
06-05-2007, 06:40 AM
I dunno, they still look a bit "naff" to me.

Give me a set of naked 250Ti's or 44xx any day.

The towers might be good, for that price level, but the rest of the series looks way too wimpy for my taste.
For this guy's house, only large speakers need apply.

In all fairness, I don't think you are the target demographic. In fact most people on this site would not be.

MJC
06-05-2007, 07:06 AM
In all fairness, I don't think you are the target demographic. In fact most people on this site would not be.
True, that speaker line is for someone is living in an apartment, with limited space, or a small budget.
I've got the space, just not the budget for the speakers I would really like to have.

Titanium Dome
08-21-2007, 07:31 AM
I think those boys over on AVS would generally be more in the market demographic that JBL sets for these. I'm thinking it would step them up from the Venue stuff.

ColdFyre22
08-21-2007, 07:49 AM
I think those boys over on AVS would generally be more in the market demographic that JBL sets for these. I'm thinking it would step them up from the Venue stuff.

I agree!

Ill take my Studio L's over these any day ;)

Pyromania
08-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Although not mentioned in that artical, there's also the ES100.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/KGunz/ES100.jpg
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/KGunz/?action=view&current=ES100.jpg

Pyromania
08-21-2007, 11:21 AM
ES90

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/KGunz/ES90.jpg

Pyromania
08-21-2007, 11:22 AM
ES80

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/KGunz/ES80.jpg

Pyromania
08-21-2007, 11:22 AM
ES30

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/KGunz/ES30.jpg

Pyromania
08-21-2007, 11:23 AM
ES20

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/KGunz/ES20.jpg

Pyromania
08-21-2007, 11:24 AM
ES10

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/KGunz/ES10.jpg

Pyromania
08-21-2007, 11:25 AM
ES25C

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/KGunz/ES25C.jpg

hjames
08-21-2007, 11:31 AM
It'd really be better to upload your JBL speaker pictures right into the forum instead of load them to Photobucket and link to them here.
That way, in 2 or 3 years, the forum will still have the actual photos, even if Photo bucket dumps them or goes offline or pay only.

ColdFyre22
08-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Driver selections seem similar to the Studio L's. The L's have a 4" midrange in addition to the woofer, tweeter, and super tweeter that these dont have. Same thing with my LC2 center. My LC2 is 6" woofer on both side and in the middle from top to bottom, super tweet, tweet, and 4" mid. Also my L820's, and my LC2 center are sealed where these are ported. Not knowing as much as you guys about speakers, I dont know whats better between sealed or ported.

Pyromania
08-21-2007, 12:44 PM
One of the things I like is the ES100, it's got those groovy 10" woofers.

I'm with you ColdFrye, I love the Studio L's as well, and more then likely, that's what'll Ill be going/sticking with. I just wish they made like a L900 or something, something with 10" woofers instead of 8", ya know.

I've heard the 890's and they most defiantly did not disappoint me, but if given the choice, I'd take 10" woofers over 8".

I'm just going to have to wait and try to track these new ES's down somewhere (if possible) and give them a whirl. If I find them to be at least as good as the Studio L's, then I'll give them some serious consideration. If they don't quite measure up, well then it's a no brainer.

ColdFyre22
08-21-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm with you ColdFrye, I love the Studio L's as well, and more then likely, that's what'll Ill be going/sticking with. I just wish they made like a L900 or something, something with 10" woofers instead of 8", ya know.

I've heard the 890's and they most defiantly did not disappoint me, but if given the choice, I'd take 10" woofers over 8".

I'm just going to have to wait and try to track these new ES's down somewhere (if possible) and give them a whirl. If I find them to be at least as good as the Studio L's, then I'll give them some serious consideration. If they don't quite measure up, well then it's a no brainer.

Just do what Im going to do, get a nice SVS subwoofer ;)

Pyromania
08-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Just do what Im going to do, get a nice SVS subwoofer ;)
That's a good point. I used to have 2 PB12 plus/2 subwoofers, but like a dumb fool, I sold them. They just took up way too much damn room. The bloody things where the size of outdoor a/c units. lol

Well, I'm still going to try and track down these new ES series, for what it's worth. If for no other reason, I'm interested in finding out how they sound and how they compare to the Studio L series.

MJC
08-21-2007, 07:33 PM

Those dual 8" can do the job w/o a sub. The total area of those dual 8" are 100+ sq in. The area of a single 12" is 113 sq in. So there is not much to pick from the difference.

MJC
08-21-2007, 07:42 PM
The ES maybe a cheaper line than the Studio L series, but I do like the look of that dual tweeter setup, compared to the Studio L tweeters.

I'm also thinking, that the net pics of the ES are more attractive than either the Studio L Series or the PS. And with that thought in mind, I know that both the Studio L and PS are much better looking speakers, in real time.

I'm also thinking that the ES series hasn't been premiered yet, because all the Northridge E series has not been sold off.

Pyromania
08-21-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm also thinking that the ES series hasn't been premiered yet, because all the Northridge E series has not been sold off.

From what I've been told, they're due out in September. They were suppose to be out this past spring, but as most things would have it in this hobby, that roll out date didn't happen.

Titanium Dome
08-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Nice images of the ES Series. Thanks for posting them. They really show the speakers in a favorable light.

Titanium Dome
08-21-2007, 11:48 PM
First the ES100:

Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 250 Watts
Power Handling (Continuous/Peak) 125 Watts/500 Watts
Impedance 8 Ohms nominal
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91dB
Frequency Response (–3dB) 32Hz – 40kHz
Crossover Frequencies 450Hz, 3000Hz - 24dB/octave;12000Hz - 18dB/octave
High-Frequency Transducer 3/4" (19mm) Titanium-laminate dome, shielded, EOS waveguide
Midrange Transducer 4" (100mm) PolyPlas™, shielded
Low-Frequency Transducers Dual 10" (250mm) PolyPlas™, shielded
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 45-1/2" x 12" x 16-5/8"
(1149mm x 305mm x 422mm)
Weight per Speaker 63,9 lb (29kg)

Second the Studio L890:

Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 250W
Power Handling (Continuous/Peak) 125W/500W
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91dB
Frequency Response (±3dB) 28Hz – 40kHz
Crossover Frequencies 700Hz, 5kHz, 20kHz
Ultrahigh-Frequency Driver 3/4" (19mm) Mylar® dome, cast-aluminum chassis, mounted in a
Bi-Radial® horn
High-Frequency Transducer 1" (25mm) Pure-titanium dome in JBL EOS™ waveguide, cast-aluminum chassis
Midrange Transducer 4" (100mm) PolyPlas™ cone with rubber surround, cast-aluminum chassis, HeatScape™ motor structure
Low-Frequency Transducers Dual 8" (200mm) PolyPlas™ cones with rubber surrounds, cast-aluminum chassis, HeatScape™ motor structures, Symmetrical Field Geometry™ (SFG™), oversized Kapton® voice coils, magnetic shorting rings
Magnetically Shielded Yes
Baffle Low-diffraction, IsoPower™ baffle
Port FreeFlow™, on front
Network Straight-Line Signal Path™ (SSP™)
Terminals Gold-plated, 5-way binding posts, bi-wirable
Dimensions (H x W x D) 42-1/4" x 10-1/4" x 15" (1073mm x 259mm x 380mm) (including feet)
Weight per Speaker 60 lb (27.3kg)
General Cast-aluminum feet;
5/16" (8mm) floor spikes, single-packed

Titanium Dome
08-21-2007, 11:55 PM
There's several interesting things there.

1. The ES100 description totally leaves out the UHF driver.
2. The ES100 drops a little more quickly in LF response despite its dual 10" woofers.
3. The ES100 has a 3/4" Ti laminate tweeter instead of the L890's 1" pure Ti driver.
4. The ES100 is heavier than the L890.
5. The crossover frequencies are notably different.

And not clear from the description,

6. The ES100 ports to the rear in a Bass-reflex design, while the L890 FreeFlows to the front.

MJC
08-22-2007, 05:10 PM
1. The ES100 description totally leaves out the UHF driver

That's not the first time that has happened.
With the TL260 the description the mid-range, if I remember right, was left out.

4. The ES100 is heavier than the L890.

Now that is saying something, as the L890 is not a light weight.

Titanium Dome
08-22-2007, 10:05 PM
It's probably the weight of two 8" drivers versus two 10" drivers.

Steve Hustad
08-03-2012, 01:47 PM
I know this thread is 'stinky old' now, but thought I'd comment anyway...
In the spring of 2008 I put together a home theater 5.2 set-up using the JBL ES series speakers -
ES100s (pair in front L+R).
ES 25C (center channel).
ES 30s (pair for surrounds).
ES 250Ps (pair of 12" 400w/700w peak subwoofers).

Of the group, the ES 100s were most difficult to find, as JBL told me in an email reply that they don't sell them in the U.S. because U.S. buyers "think they're too big"(!).
Well *I* bought a pair, but had to have them shipped from Birmingham England to MN to get them (wanted the ones with two 10" woofers!).
They arrived in less than a week by FedEx Air in immaculate condition.
Very nice speakers, glad I got 'em. Amazing output and clarity/low end.

But probably the biggest surprise of this group was the ES30s.
I was VERY impressed with these given they're relaitively small size (6" woofer, etc.). These have amazing sound output - just run that first scene from the Blu-ray of "Master and Commander "and you'll see what I mean!. Feels like you're listening to a floor standing system - the sweet spot of the group as far as the 'ol cost/benefit ratio goes.

The weak link is probably the EC 25C center speaker. Its just too small (maybe I should just run a pair of them?). An "ES 35C" (using two 6" woofers and maybe a matching midrange?) with better capabilities would have been a good idea on JBL's part.

The ES 250P 12" subwoofers are just what I expected them to be - solid perfomers all around. They sure 'earn their keep' when reproducing that room shaking train wreak scene that's about 18.5 minutes into the Blu-ray of the movie "Super 8". Wow!

I'm running all of these from a Yamaha RX-V1900 AVR that I've also been very pleased with.
But I'm thinking of upgrading to having that drive an external amplifier like the Emotiva XPA-5 (5 x 200w).

Just thought a 'mini-review' of JBL's ES series speakers might be appreciated.
I'm very happy with them!

rdgrimes
08-03-2012, 07:59 PM
The EC35 is pretty easy to come by used, and is hugely better than the ES25. I see them on eBay regularly.

Steve Hustad
08-05-2012, 07:04 PM
The EC35 is pretty easy to come by used, and is hugely better than the ES25. I see them on eBay regularly.

rdgrimes - that's a great suggestion! :applaud:
I think I'll troll eBay for just such an option.
(I really don't know why JBL didn't market an "ES 35C", but that's life!).

I wonder if anyone has an opinion as to running TWO ES 25Cs off of an RCA splitter if I can't snag a 35C?
I imagine I'd just need to adjust the levels in the AVR's menu,...both would be 8 Ohm speakers, so the way to do it would be to split the signal to an external stereo amp, and then re-run the YPAO. That should do the trick.
Then angle each about 5 degrees away from center to give that center chanel beter disperson.
Worth tinkering with diferent configurations if this is the way I end up going.

In any case, I'm really happy with this 5.2 speaker set-up, but will look to improve the center channel 'experiance' somehow.
Thanks for your post!

rdgrimes
08-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Dual center speakers is rarely a good idea due to the filtering it can create, different distances, etc.

Steve Hustad
08-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Dual center speakers is rarely a good idea due to the filtering it can create, different distances, etc.

Funny you mention that, because I've now been hearing that same concern on another forum too.
(Though oddly ALL users on the Emotiva forum who have tried it swear by it and there are five practical dual center speaker users there who atest to that. Of the naysayers there, none have tried it).

So instead of the E35C which I'm beginning to think may not be enough of an upgrade to justify the change, I'm considering an LC2 instead.
But I'm wondering if the 'sonic signature' would be noticably different between my ES series fronts & surrounds and the L series center enough to matter?
I doubt it(?), and might just make that change.
I've measured the space, and can just barely accomodate the LC2 with a bit to spare...

hjames
08-11-2012, 01:43 PM
I found the LC2 to be a LOT better center than the EC25 and EC35 - you can even biamp it if desired - tho I never did.
I am selling my LC2 - see - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?33296-JBL-LC2-Center-in-Cherry

And yes, Master and Commander Bluray is one of my go-to demo discs! (I blame TiDome for that!)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=56586&d=1344718292

Funny you mention that, because I've now been hearing that same concern on another forum too.
(Though oddly ALL users on the Emotiva forum who have tried it swear by it and there are five practical dual center speaker users there who attest to that. Of the naysayers there, none have tried it).

So instead of the E35C which I'm beginning to think may not be enough of an upgrade to justify the change, I'm considering an LC2 instead.
But I'm wondering if the 'sonic signature' would be noticably different between my ES series fronts & surrounds and the L series center enough to matter?
I doubt it(?), and might just make that change.
I've measured the space, and can just barely accomodate the LC2 with a bit to spare...

JBLAddict
08-12-2012, 10:54 AM
And yes, Master and Commander Bluray is one of my go-to demo discs! (I blame TiDome for that!)

Doug, is that the movie you demo'd in the Two Jims where the cannon fire was rocking the sunglasses around my neck? :eek:

Titanium Dome
08-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Doug, is that the movie you demo'd in the Two Jims where the cannon fire was rocking the sunglasses around my neck? :eek:

Mebbe. :p

Steve Hustad
08-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I need a black one or I'd jump on that cherry finish one you're selling!
This center speaker does look like the way to go though.
At only 5" deep, it looks like its made to hang on the wall, but I'd shelf mount it under the flat panel...don't expect any issues from that, as I've seen it most often used that way.
Looks like J&R in NY has these on sale too! :bouncy:

(And oh, hjames, if you're looking for another fantastic 'demo Blu-ray' - try the train wreak scene that's about 18.5 minutes into the movie "Super 8" - INCREDIBLE!
It will give your especially your subwoofers (and the rest of your speakers & amps) a run for their money! Pure demo material.

hjames
08-14-2012, 03:00 PM
I need a black one or I'd jump on that cherry finish one you're selling!
This center speaker does look like the way to go though.
At only 5" deep, it looks like its made to hang on the wall, but I'd shelf mount it under the flat panel...don't expect any issues from that, as I've seen it most often used that way.
Looks like J&R in NY has these on sale too! :bouncy:

(And oh, hjames, if you're looking for another fantastic 'demo Blu-ray' - try the train wreak scene that's about 18.5 minutes into the movie "Super 8" - INCREDIBLE!
It will give your especially your subwoofers (and the rest of your speakers & amps) a run for their money! Pure demo material.

Sure - I saw Super 8 - Interesting, but not enough to own it ...
Kind of prefer the Star Trek reboot instead.