PDA

View Full Version : Behringer (DEQ2496) RTA 31 band 1/3 EQ

JBL 4645
06-01-2007, 07:57 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/Brainstorm3417/BEHR-DEQ2496_L.jpg

I’ve been looking at the Behringer (DEQ2496) which seems like a good bargain at £218.99.

Its features like RTA is what I’m looking for with wideband thou I’ll more than likely install basic 31 and 1/3 octave EQ for left centre right at a much later date. The (DEQ2496) when fitted with microphone a new microphone.

This will come at a later date but for now I’m just looking feasting my eyes on it and rubbing my hands.:)

But then again I might save up and buy two one for left and right and one for centre and the other channel?

Don Mascali
06-03-2007, 06:36 AM
The RTA displays at 61 bands. The EQ is 31 band. I love the unit.

I wont get into the "Trashing Behringer" arguments. (Some of the points I agree with). I use one DEQ2496 at the front end and three DCX2496's in my HT/Audio room and they are extremely useful in a multi- amped system like mine. I would love to have better stuff, but I have several tens of thousands in my system now.
We DO have to eat you know!

JBL 4645
06-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Don

LOL, yeah me too, but I eat small, light things in the summertime.

Wow mate you have one of these wow lucky devil. Well it shouldn’t be too long before can lay my hands on a (DEQ2496), several.

Also how does the RTA handle when testing for flat frequency response in your room?:)

Don Mascali
06-05-2007, 10:33 AM
The Pink Noise and Auto Eq is fine for about 150hz and up. Below that it can be a guide but trial and error is the best. I just play around until it sounds good in my sweet spot.
I have 2 4645c's up front and 2-2245H's in 10 cu ft boxes in the back. Both go from 80 hz down and can really get away from you if you aren't careful.

Too much is just right!:D

JBL 4645
06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Don

Please excuse me but I hafth to install a Microsoft Word on the pc, so please bare my spelling isn't that good enough without it.

Well that figures playing around with the DEQ2496 untill it sounds good. Well from what I understand about EQ'ing you can only EQ for one area with a single microphone placed at the listening postion. Or use four microhones placed around the room for a more unifrom controled EQ?

So yes it is trial and error like you say.

Well that wasn't too bad considering I'm still waiting for a 60 day trial version of Microsoft Windows, to load up. The pc was reformated last night around a friends, but I can't figure why Word wasn't on the pc when I got the thing home? It was on the pc when I was around his home last night, unless he removed the CD-ROM disc before the prorgam was fully installed, blast!:banghead::D

UreiCollector
06-05-2007, 05:31 PM
I own the Ultra-Drive, and love the unit, however I have had nothing but grief with the Ultra-Curve....

The unit is prone to random resets, which is very distracting (and sucks for the speakers as well, when that thump comes through). I have had 3 units in my possession, and all have had the problem, some worse than others.

It was very frustrating, I even upgraded firmware with no improvement in stability. :banghead:

I would recommend it "as is", if....

You use it as an analyzer only, and then copy the settings over to the Ultra-Drive, and let that do the equalization for you.

If you don't need a lot of EQ (more than 7-8 center freqs or so), then the Ultra-Drive will prove more useful in the long run I think. You still get all the nifty dynamic EQ's, etc, with the addition of low pass/high pass filters, in the Ultra-Drive. And a stable, reset free platform.

JBL 4645
06-06-2007, 04:54 AM
Urei
Yes the thump is not a cool thing at all.

Rule number 1always turn on the processors first, with amplifiers being turned ON last.:)

Rule number 2 always turn OFF amplifies first when powering down the sound system.:)

One thing that I dislike is the boosting of frequencies, I got this with one of my Technics SH-8066, which had a RTA and an Auto EQ for stereo.

With the settings it made I had to reduce the other frequencies that made it all sound harsh and bright down.

So I’m no stranger this. But the resetting you say that the DEQ2496 is doing well I’ll have to watch that.

Don Mascali
06-07-2007, 05:12 AM
My DEQ2496 stays powered all of the time. I have never had a thump.:dont-know
I run the pink noise to adjust my DCX2496 outputs and then run auto eq. I do trim the settings if I think they are too extreme. It takes several passes to get it right as I have 5 way mains.
One of the most useful features of the DCX2496 is the phase/time delay set up. With JBL's crazy phase conventions you can't be sure who is goin' out and who is goin' in!

JBL 4645
06-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Don

Yes I also tried the phase control on the DCX2496, its so neat and easy to use :applaud:

One other question can you trim the EQ on the DEQ2496 with 0.01db adjustments just like the DCX2496 and can you change the quality “Q” of each band? I’m still many months away before purchasing one of these next step next week is a second Alesis RA300 amplifier.

boputnam
06-11-2007, 08:55 AM
...can you change the ... “Q” of each band? Yes, variable in each of the GEQ, PEQ and DEQ modes.

JBL 4645
06-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes, variable in each of the GEQ, PEQ and DEQ modes.

Thanks mate. :)

Excellent just like the DCX2496, that’s all I needed to hear. Now all that I have to do now is be a little patient and wait until I a have a few Alesis RA300 for the fronts LCR and then get x1 DEQ2496 and then one more within a few weeks after the first purchase. And then finish of the Alesis RA300 amplification set-up.

This is going to be a long summertime refit!

I just did simple, calculation at best this won’t be finished until around December 2007.

hjames
06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Just thought that with all this discussion it would make sense to actually post pictures of the devices!

DCX2496 - upper image
DEQ2496 - lower image

JBL 4645
06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Just thought that with all this discussion it would make sense to actually post a picture of the device!

Yes a picture is always a good thing otherwise newer members will be wondering what this unit looks like?

So there it is. Thanks Heather.:)

Just looked at the top picture of the DEQ2496 and with the DCX2496 I’ll hath to fit the units into an affordable rack system. I haven’t looked into affordable rack systems yet, but I doubt they’ll cost too much at Turnkey.

boputnam
06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Just thought that with all this discussion it would make sense to actually post pictures of the devices!Oh-boy... Now I have to LOOK at them, too... :(

L100t Owner
06-11-2007, 08:45 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/Brainstorm3417/BEHR-DEQ2496_L.jpg

I’ve been looking at the Behringer (DEQ2496) which seems like a good bargain at £218.99.

Its features like RTA is what I’m looking for with wideband thou I’ll more than likely install basic 31 and 1/3 octave EQ for left centre right at a much later date. The (DEQ2496) when fitted with microphone a new microphone.

This will come at a later date but for now I’m just looking feasting my eyes on it and rubbing my hands.:)

But then again I might save up and buy two one for left and right and one for centre and the other channel?

I have one and love it. I loaned it to a friend who was impressed with it. The pink noise and mic made my already outstanding midrange even better. I could nto tell that my midrange sounded nasal until I ran a curve. Its funny, when I do not have it on the system sounds great and I do not really notice it is missing, but when I switch it on it gets better. I use it with B&W N801's, Musical Fidelity and Brystons.

I also used it to dial in my sub. I had to do it manually, but it worked and is very smooth. I liked it so much that I bought a sub with an auto eq function.

For the price you cannot go wrong.

JBL 4645
06-12-2007, 12:03 PM
L100t Owner

Well I don’t know what crazy prices there sealing these in the US but its nuts over here I the UK, way too tempting to pass on.:applaud:

Well you gave a little inspiration of brainstorming last night Heather, I was going to place the two pictures on top of the other, well looks like you saved me the effort of doing that, thanks.

Yes I’m thinking with all the new but slow improvements, where to place it and how and should it be placed in smaller rack systems or medium large types as. When working the cinema many years ago racks often stood about 6 feet high and I want something about half size as I’ve seen on in a local cinema where it house a Dolby CP-55 and few high powered amplifies.

So I need something to take at least in this order?

Audio Video system 1

Cello DR-810 DVD-RW
Pioneer DV-525 DVD
SONY DVP-S336 DVD
Pioneer CLD 1750 laserdisc player
Pioneer CLD 2950 laserdisc player
Ferguson Video star Hi-Fi stereo VCR

Audio Video system 2

Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX Dolby digital dts 5.1 Pro-Logic II
Yamaha DSR-70 Pro-Logic
Yamaha DSP-100 Dolby surround

Possibly housed with
Behringer
DCX2496 x1 LCR
DCX2496 x1 Surround’s left sidewall, centre back, right sidewall
DCX2496 x1 Surround height surround, sub bass extension and LFE.1
DEQ2496 x1 LCR
DEQ2496 x1 Surround’s left sidewall, right sidewall
DEQ2496 x1 Surround’s centre back, height surround
(DEQ2496 x1 Sub bass extension and LFE.1 this part of the sound chain will be considered as optional)
The rest of it stands in the plan!

Audio Video system 3
Possibly split into two half’s.

1Alesis RA300 x1 Left channel LF HF
2Alesis RA300 x1Centre channel LF HF
3Alesis RA300 x1 Right channel LF HF
4Alesis RA300 left sidewall surrounds LF HF
5Alesis RA300 center back surrounds LF HF
6Alesis RA300 Right sidewall surrounds LF HF
7Alesis RA300 Height surrounds LF HF
8Alesis RA500 Sub bass

Yes I’m thinking about changing the amplifier over from the present on that I’m using to drive the JBL 4645 to something more manageable with same display and clip lights as well as higher specifications, not that there’s anything thing wrong with the other amplifier, its just I want this to look better than before and sound and its best, as best will only do.

So I’m looking at close to around 4 small rack systems to house this in and keep it neat and tidy. The amplifiers will take up at most two racks.

The JBL Control 5 and 1 will be slightly modified to take the extra cabling of the LF, the HF will pass though the internal passive crossover for extra, extra protection! The HF will still be crossed off at 2.03Khz. with a slight drop at the higher part of the frequency range.

Robh3606
06-12-2007, 12:19 PM
What are you going to do for power?? You have a couple of dedicated lines??

Rob:)

JBL 4645
06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
What are you going to do for power?? You have a couple of dedicated lines??

Rob:)

I think I understand what you mean. The power mains, well I’m going to tidy that up ten fold with new matching and affordable mains sockets going to each unit. That should keep it neat and tidy because the way it looks now is like “Spaghetti Junction!”:D

And powering it ON and OFF will be done one step at a time as to not trip the mains circuit breaker or fuses! So far I haven’t had any snags but then again I haven’t made plans to install higher powered amplifiers before.

So far the new Alesis RA300 is playing like a treat, too bad I can’t hit all the reaming x6 with one stone, one step at time thou.;)