PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with increases in shipping charges?

fotodan
05-31-2007, 05:39 AM
Interested in how LH members are dealing with increased shipping charges. Seems to me charges are getting outrageaus. I have a pair of L65's to ship coast to coast but fear the charges. The last two items I have shipped this week, were unbelievable. One was a bug deflector for Exterra, weight 6 lbs. box size 10" X 12" X 67", hours of searching for cheapest was DHL at $98.00. Come on give me a break, ended up refunding payment and not completing the sale.

Shipped second item yesterday, (cargo matte for Exterra) Fridays quote for weight 20lbs, box size 7" X 33" X 56" was 67.35, when shipped yesterday, it was increased to 87.65. $20.00 increase in just 5 days. We have bussiness accounts with all shipping companies, wondering if members are experiencing the same thing in the increases.

Okay, I have vented, I feel better now...

4313B
05-31-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm going to minimize shipping.

It is outrageous.

After this last huge batch of deliverables I'm done.

I'm just not in the mood for it.

Titanium Dome
05-31-2007, 06:40 AM
LPUO is more than a lazy man's statement these days, even for smaller items.

I stumbled across a Harmony 1000 remote for only $315 plus FREE shipping, so I grabbed it and was shocked when it arrived to see the seller had to pay almost $30 for the shipping. I see it's not offered with free shipping anymore, and the base price is $20 higher.

LPUO will be my best friend for both selling and buying. In the long run it might help control costs for buyers by reducing demand, while at the same time making it more defensible for sellers to avoid shipping hassles altogether.

speakerdave
05-31-2007, 06:41 AM
Get mad at the oil companies (or is there just one now).

David

Ian Mackenzie
05-31-2007, 06:43 AM
Depends on the price of the item and if its fragile.

The only shipping outfit I'd use is Fedex.

Think of it this way. You pay a bit more but it will arrive faster and safer.

I've had parcels arrive in 3 days from the States in perfect condition.

fotodan
05-31-2007, 09:42 AM
Depends on the price of the item and if its fragile.

The only shipping outfit I'd use is Fedex.

Think of it this way. You pay a bit more but it will arrive faster and safer.

I've had parcels arrive in 3 days from the States in perfect condition.

We use FedEx often for our shipping. Now we have found out in our billing statements, they are now charging $3.00 just to pick item up at our location for shipping. Its never ending. Also looked at statement for shipping one of the items mentioned earlier, and actual freight charge was $20.00, other charges was $68.00, without even itemizing what the other charges were for. It really hurts sales when your business has also got web site, and increasing shipping charges occur. I am leaning towards the LPUO also. What are we to do??:banghead:

Steve Schell
05-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Fotodan, your packages may have been charged at an oversized rate due to their length dimension.

Shipping charges have been increasing; fuel costs no doubt play a large role. When I was last selling on ebay and shipping all over a couple of years ago, I found that USPS was almost always cheapest. It is best to avoid the dreaded "dimensional weight" charges of Fedex and OOPs on overseas shipments, where they charge for feathers as though they were bricks.

JohnK
05-31-2007, 10:34 AM
And they say inflation is 2%.

I got quotes to ship some Martin Logans to the UK a while back. The best price was something like $900.00.

Seems that the days of $15 shipping fees are over.

SEAWOLF97
05-31-2007, 11:33 AM
I just received a 54 pound amp from Calif to Oregon via UPS and paid $40 shipping. Thought that was high.

I also watch the "cheap guys" site ==>> www.fatwallet.com (http://www.fatwallet.com) It may help a little, one of those forum members suggested...

Staples does UPS , they also take old printer carts and give you $3 trade for each and you can use 3 per transaction , so you can get $9 off the standard UPS outgoing shipping costs this way.

clmrt
05-31-2007, 11:49 AM
I shipped a piece of machinery on a skid (about 28x28x36H) from Minneapolis to Atlanta, overnight, delivery by 12PM = $1063.58.

Work related, but hey.

:D

kingjames
05-31-2007, 01:19 PM
I had to refund the amount I got on all four of those Altec 203B horns. I quoted $200.00 shipping for all 4 but turned out to be $600.00 for all four. This time weight was not a factor it was size. I relisted for LPO only. No other way to do it, who's gonna pay $600.00 for shipping something that only cost $200.00?:biting:

duaneage
06-01-2007, 06:27 PM
I disassembled a perfectly good motorcycle engine and sent it in parts to a guy in tennesee last month. 150 dollar engine, 250 dollars to ship it depot to depot. Off came the head, starter, and a few covers and it was done through USPS for 50 bucks.

Ebay sales are bound to be affected. People are selling items for .99 with 15 dollar shipping rates. I'm not even bothering with small stuff anymore.

pocketchange
06-08-2007, 01:46 PM
greed is the biggest factor.
Think Exxon and you will understand.
Google: Gull Island
BTW, I'm a O/O... :biting:

jim campbell
06-08-2007, 04:46 PM
there was talk for a while re a member network of volunteers willing to forward
stuff for other members.i have not heard much since but i wonder if its possible to devote space for folks with plans to travel could post the times and availability of space so that prospective sellers and buyers could refer.i wonder if it would be feasible for a centrally located member to act as a temporary facility to store stuff until transport is found.i guess its higher shipping costs,or a trend toward local pick up that's in the cards.for sellers local pick up is great if you live in heavily populated areas but it seems that it would severely limit most everyone else

kc8tpr
06-09-2007, 12:13 PM
These higher costs are causeing me to not get top dollar for my l220's. instead im selling them to a local member for a decent price.

steve

Titanium Dome
06-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Yep. LPUO. It's the big speaker seller's mantra in the new age of shipping.

merlin
06-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Shipping large boxes will impact on your carbon footprint. Recycle your old speakers instead and think of the planet.

richluvsound
06-09-2007, 01:47 PM
I dont want to think about how much shipping 4435's to Hamburg from London is going to cost. I'm thinking it may be cheaper for him to fly over and drive them back in a one-way rental thing.

Rich