PDA

View Full Version : Altec to JBL Conversion

sourceoneaudio
05-26-2007, 12:17 PM
The Storm has been converted:

He is now the proud owner of JBL 250Ti's. :applaud:

He has been over here listening for 1.5 hrs. and has heard stuff that he hasn't before. Much more of that to come I'm sure. He was blown away by the detail, and very impressed with the bottom end. He could not believe the low's reproduced out of them with all controls set to flat.

Elvis has left the building.

More conversions to come. :D

Jeff
J/S-S1A :D

hjames
05-26-2007, 12:44 PM
But its nice he gave you some money ... congratulations!:applaud:

The Storm has been converted:

He is now the proud owner of JBL 250Ti's. :applaud:

He has been over here listening for 1.5 hrs. and has heard stuff that he hasn't before. Much more of that to come I'm sure. He was blown away by the detail, and very impressed with the bottom end. He could not believe the low's reproduced out of them with all controls set to flat.

Elvis has left the building.

More conversions to come. :D

Jeff

Zilch
05-26-2007, 01:38 PM
But its nice he gave you some money ....HUH?

Not a straight-across trade for Valencias w/T-35s? ;)

sourceoneaudio
05-26-2007, 01:47 PM
No trading involved & not my money.

Helping a friend. :D

Jeff

hjames
05-26-2007, 01:48 PM
HUH?

Not a straight-across trade for Valencias w/T-35s? ;)

Probably not - those weren't the usual Teak wood 250Tis - those were the ultra-rare stadium model in painted black Ash.

Thrill to the sound of those puppies at diagonal corners of the room, playin' "Dub side of the Moon" or "Nursery Crime" or "Inca Roads" at live concert levels ... Mayhn!

Mr. Widget
05-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Congratulations Storm... while I may have teased you when you made your proclamation of finding your ultimate speakers with the first pair of decent speakers you ever heard... welcome to the club. I am sure there will be other wonderful speakers in your future. Keep on listening... and enjoy those 250Tis... they are great speakers.

Widget

scott fitlin
05-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Congratulations Storm... while I may have teased you when you made your proclamation of finding your ultimate speakers with the first pair of decent speakers you ever heard... welcome to the club. I am sure there will be other wonderful speakers in your future. Keep on listening...

WidgetO yeah!

Your just beginning at this. Many things youve yet to discover for yourself, and find some things you had never heard about that sound soooo good.

Right now, this old Altecer, is on a TAD Trip! And its a great trip. Very well damped, very clear, great low end kick, most of all? They are DEAD clean, immmaculate, no ringing, no buzzs, no breakup. Very elegant sounding woofer, but it does take some abuse, thats a fact.

Man they sound GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

SMKSoundPro
05-27-2007, 04:51 PM
I did not read where the Stormster ACTUALLY purchased a pair.

I can appreciate Storm recieving an eye and ear opening moment, but does he actually have them?

Storm
05-27-2007, 06:05 PM
I did not read where the Stormster ACTUALLY purchased a pair.

I can appreciate Storm recieving an eye and ear opening moment, but does he actually have them?

Why would Source lie?

Give me a break.

Yes, I do own them.

Just delivered my 846B's to a local seller (PENNURIOUS), who is going to sell them for me. He always gets top dollar for vintage audio.

Very nice guy, by the way.

;)

Only thing to do now is to sell the Altec Voice of the Theatre poster and the other Poster, along with the Odyssey Altec LP and the brochure.

Anyone interested in a group lot? LOL...

-Storm.

kingjames
05-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Storm,you are hooked for life.:applaud:

jim campbell
05-27-2007, 06:32 PM
how much for the vott poster?where is the pic posted

opimax
05-28-2007, 08:44 AM
I now own the best speakers ever made...and nothing has changed with my speakers...:applaud::applaud::applaud:...;)

Mark

Storm
05-28-2007, 10:21 AM
I now own the best speakers ever made...and nothing has changed with my speakers...:applaud::applaud::applaud:...;)

Mark

What in the world does this quote, mean?

-Storm.

hjames
05-28-2007, 10:34 AM
What in the world does this quote, mean?

-Storm.

The blinding flash of reason smotes you - - Wooah!

Think he's bein' playful with ya -
I remember someone saying, no, insisting, that their Altecs were the best speakers ever made. So if you have heard the light and moved on speakers you now consider to be better, it seems obvious that the 250ti's must therefore be the best speakers ever made ...

And anyone that owns a set suddenly has now got a pair of the best durned speakers ever made ... (until the inevitable next education and upgrade cycle) ...

You vere jokink, yes??

SEAWOLF97
05-28-2007, 10:39 AM
I remember someone saying the Altecs were the best speakers ever made

when you declare that what you own is "the best ever made" and then upgrade (after you've said that you NEVER will ) your opinion becomes kinda worthless.

Zilch
05-28-2007, 10:48 AM
when you declare that what you own is "the best ever made" and then upgrade (after you've said that you NEVER will ) your opinion becomes kinda worthless.This, of course, is a prime virtue of DIY.

We make the declaration routinely, with impunity.... :thmbsup:

Storm
05-28-2007, 11:14 AM
when you declare that what you own is "the best ever made" and then upgrade (after you've said that you NEVER will ) your opinion becomes kinda worthless.

Movin' on up....oh, yeah movin' on up ---

Get the point?

Until I could afford 250TIs, yes the Altecs were awesome. I still think they could hold themselves up in a side to side with the 250TIs.

However, I promised my better half that I would get rid of one set of speakers when I get one set of speakers.

Been listening to my CD collection now for a couple days on the 250TI's and I have to say, while the bass is kind of lacking compared to the Altecs, they are MUCH more overall dynamic, in every range.

I am sure if I ever -- your you, for that matter -- win the lottery and purchase a pair of Everests, then those will be the best ever.

Leave me alone and go back to your OHM F's.

If I am happy, that is all that matters.

;)

-Storm.

Storm
05-28-2007, 11:17 AM
This, of course, is a prime virtue of DIY.

We make the declaration routinely, with impunity.... :thmbsup:

Exactly.

We all change our minds, or mature in most cases.

;)

If I could afford it -- I would have kept the Valencias and used them in another room. But, I cannot have everything I want and paying the bills is more important.

Bad enough I spent twice as much as I did on the 250TI's then the Valencias.

Oh well. Life moves on...

-Storm.

sourceoneaudio
05-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Until I could afford 250TIs, yes the Altecs were awesome. I still think they could hold themselves up in a side to side with the 250TIs.

;)

-Storm.

Altec's were awesome, past tense.......:p

Second NOT A CHANCE. (On the above bold type)

Jeff
J/S-S1A

Wait till you here my 4345 project! (next upgrade)
Should be very interesting.:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Gary L
05-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Glad you are happy, Again, Storm.

This should be interesting though because Altec prices seem to be a bit low for the past month or so. Will keep my eyes open for the auction but will be surprised if they bring what you hope they might.
Best of luck on that front.

Will have to search out a pair of Ti's to see what all the Hub-bub is all about.

None of my altecs even come close to the best but all are good enough until something else fits my fancy.

Gary

Storm
05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
None of my altecs even come close to the best but all are good enough until something else fits my fancy.

Gary

Yep.

:p

-Storm.

Gary L
05-28-2007, 01:01 PM
We will get you straightened out sooner or later Storm!
These Absolute terms such as " These are the Best " and "I will never sell" have a tendency of comming back to haunt.

Right now the Ti's are the best you have but I am pretty sure there are others out there that can blow them away.

It's OK to be happy and thrilled but never good to be so absolute.

Besides, It won't be any fun once you do find the best!

It is all about the journey and never the destination.

Gary

kingjames
05-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Been listening to my CD collection now for a couple days on the 250TI's and I have to say, while the bass is kind of lacking compared to the Altecs, they are MUCH more overall dynamic, in every range.

I am sure if I ever -- your you, for that matter -- win the lottery and purchase a pair of Everests, then those will be the best ever.

Storm play the Theme song from The Sopranos and make sure the volume is low when the bass kicks in then come back here and tell me how much those 14's lack in bass.;).

I am not a believer in the cost the most sounds the best theory.The Everest might sound worse to you than your Altec's, I think each person has to decide for themselves what is the best and cost will never play a factor, only sound,.

opimax
05-29-2007, 04:18 AM
Storm,

there are a couple of "recommended" upgrades for the 250, make them even more bestest...

Mark

Titanium Dome
05-29-2007, 07:32 AM
If I am happy, that is all that matters.

;)

-Storm.

Exactly. I don't mind a bit of passion about whatever speakers you've got. You loved what you had and now you love what you have.

I don't see the big deal in this, and it's unclear to me why people want to needle you about it. Everyone—and I mean everyone—here has done a similar thing, whether it be speakers or some other aspect of life. At least you were open and public about it. You changed your mind when a new experience caught up with and passed your old experience and expectations.

Things change as time goes by and you hear other speakers, but for now this is the best speaker pair you've ever had, and you should enjoy the heck out of it.

I remember once thinking that horns might be the best, then I woke up with a honking, ringing sound in my head. :p

sourceoneaudio
05-29-2007, 07:50 AM

;)

-Storm.

You have got to be kidding me. :rotfl:

You specifically stated to me you could not believe the low end response with the controls set flat. Also this comment makes no sense since you have to turn your bass control up to get the bass you need out of your Altec's.

Sounds like to me you have them out of phase??????? Have you checked your wiring, if you have one of them out of phase you will have very weak to no low end.

Jeff
J/S-S1A

louped garouv
05-29-2007, 08:01 AM
You specifically stated to me you could not believe the low end response with the controls set flat. Also this comment makes no sense since you have to turn your bass control up to get the bass you need out of your Altec's.

Just as a general question...

WRT the different networks, what point on the dial represents unity gain....

IE....

is the center point on the Altec's or the JBL's crossover dial at unity gain; while the other is attenuated at the center point and at unity gain while "fully opened up"

:I dunno: never thought of it in these terms....

sourceoneaudio
05-29-2007, 08:19 AM
With the preamp at/in use the Bass control on the low end is at 20hz + 10db, Treble is 20kHz + 10db. The controls when listened to at my home were turned off completely. There is a bypass switch on the front panel on the Nakamichi CA-5AII, so no gain applied.

Storm applied a hump when listening to the Altec's, so Bass control was engaged.

Jeff
J/S-S1A

louped garouv
05-29-2007, 08:39 AM
ahh.....
my mistake....

I thought you were talking about a network attenuation/boost control
on the loudspeaker itself, not the source electronics.....

my bad...

I should have remembered the valencias only have one knob to fiddle with.....
and i guess the 250s don't have pot controlled adjustments?

sourceoneaudio
05-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Well, we have the second convert under way. My friend who I made the trip up to Jack's home for the Altec shootout is the 2nd JBL convert. His name is Tom, he owned those 846A's I worked on adding the UHF tweeter addition. Anyway he was going to purchase the 250Ti's Storm bought but instead we are going a different direction. Going to sell all the Altec toys and we are going to build two sets of 4345's, one for me, and one for him. I showed him the 4345 array from many a post here on the forum, and the killer pics from Riessen's set, and the ones from over seas that Guido has been helping on, and he was bit by the JBL bug big time.
So, to hold him over until the big project is done I found Tom a set of 4425's for his two channel room. One of big pluses here is that I found the 4425's, and I had them shipped here, so I get to demo them and make sure they work OK. Funny how that worked out. :bouncy:
I have never played with any of the 44XX or 43XX studio monitors, needless to say I'm very impressed with the way these sound, the 4425 has a very real to life sound. I do like them a lot thinking of converting myself from Klipsch in the HT room to three of these, and a LE14H-1 under them on the left and right main channel. I do believe that would make quite a combo. These, as I stated above have such a real to life sound I can only imagine what the 4430's or the 4435's sound like.

(SEE PIC)

Jeff
J/S-S1A

Zilch
05-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Yup, 4425s want subs.

A pair of Citation 7.4, as you suggest, would be a more rational match than this, certainly:

Tom Brennan
05-29-2007, 10:38 AM
When I want to hear cones and domes I listen to these.