PDA

View Full Version : Cain't hardly wait ..new amp

SEAWOLF97
05-26-2007, 09:24 AM
On the guidance of Loach71/Tim , I decided to upgrade my amp. He bird dogged a nice BGW 750D since he has a couple of them. I searched the web and this model gets stellar reviews everywhere , besides being installed in the Vatican , White House and Universal Studios.

So I won the auction and am waiting for 53.80 Lbs to show up soon. Although made in the mid 80's, most of these seem to still be going strong.

My BGW 250d has been perfect and never a nanosec of trouble, but I decided ( with Tim's help/prodding , since he has Ohm F's also) that more power would be better. Sooo, the 750d specs out thusly...according to BGW

UPS says it will be here next Thursday. Ahh , just like Christmas again (fingers crossed)

loach71
05-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Remember -- LIFT with your LEGS not your back.
Enjoy the amp...:applaud:

soundboy
05-27-2007, 10:19 AM
My BGW 250d has been perfect and never a nanosec of trouble, but I decided ( with Tim's help/prodding , since he has Ohm F's also) that more power would be better.

Next time I come to Portland, I will give you $10 for the 250...you doubled your investment within a few month's!!
:bs:

SEAWOLF97
05-27-2007, 05:02 PM
soundboy,,

I took your harsh criticism of my current system to heart and by the next time you come over it should be improved.

adding the big amp soon and fixed the lower bass hole with an Infinity 12 in. powered sub. Its getting almost listenable....:D

TOM

SEAWOLF97
06-01-2007, 05:29 PM
got the big (54 pounds) BGW yesterday. With Loach71/Tim's help it is up and running. Seems very clean and power to spare . Haven't really opened it up, but if the sound scales linearly , should be very nice.

I read this article about the Universal Studios Hollywood King Kong ride , since they use the same model , its kind of an interesting story on how they do the accompanying sound.

http://www.technomad.com/articles/kong.html

JBL 4645
06-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Vintage lover of nostalgic amplifiers, enjoy the amp Wolf.:)

Don’t they have an “Earthquake” ride based on the film and the crazy sound system (((Sensurround))) I wonder if you can get hold of those amplifiers. Any idea what name and model they where?

loach71
06-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Vintage lover of nostalgic amplifiers, enjoy the amp Wolf.:)

Don’t they have an “Earthquake” ride based on the film and the crazy sound system (((Sensurround))) I wonder if you can get hold of those amplifiers. Any idea what name and model they where?

Seawolf now owns the last version of the BGW "earthquake amp"..:applaud:

SEAWOLF97
06-03-2007, 09:51 AM
The only place in the rack that I cud put the big 750 was on the bottom shelf. It was too big for the spot where the 250 was.
This completely screwed up the feng shui. So I pulled everything apart and out of the stack , rearranged and reconnected. As it turned out, the 50+ pounds of amp on the bottom worked fine as there are no longer any power or signal lines crossing the speaker wires, and sitting all by itself, there is more airflow and being on the bottom, the fan is quieter. Really glad it has rack handles, wrangling it around w/o them wud be a b1tch.

Everything is back together , looking great and sounding even better.

If anyone needs LOTS of clean power and reliability and fine specs/build quality at a reasonable price , I don't think you can go wrong with this amp as your choice (statement subject to revision if something goes wrong :))

arawak1969
06-20-2007, 07:53 AM
How much would I expect to fork up for one in decent shape?

SEAWOLF97
06-20-2007, 09:35 AM
How much would I expect to fork up for one in decent shape?

depending on model Of 750 - a,b,c have a certain power o/p and d,e,f have a higher o/p...and some have meters and others dont.....

be aware that they have both XLR and 1/4in jacks for i/p ,,,no RCA's.

somewhere between $150 and $275, which seems quite a bargain for what you are getting

here is a B model on the bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260129515207&rd=1&rd=1