PDA

View Full Version : tweeter options

greyhound
05-17-2007, 10:19 AM
hey guys
ive tried everything to get my original 050 gold tweeters repaired. somehow it is not possible. the costs are way to high (i think) to get them fixed. (300 dollar a piece)
I now have the 035 ti tweeter and its functioning well but it sounds kinda hars (how do you say it) a bit to agressive. It isnt the clean sound that was in my memories when i heard the century gold for the firt time.

tweeters are hardly found on Ebay. im looking for the
050 gold, 052 Ti,44Ti.. are there any other options for me. wich tweeters are possible.?

Andyoz
05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
As I understand it, the 044Ti's are similar to the 035Ti's (except harder to get and more $$$$) so I wouldn't look there!

greyhound
05-17-2007, 12:41 PM
As I understand it, the 044Ti's are similar to the 035Ti's (except harder to get and more $$$$) so I wouldn't look there!
oke thnx

Jim DiFalco
05-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Not sure if you've seen these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280115437275&rd=1&rd=1

Bit pricey...

Robh3606
05-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Have you tried to order from JBL?? Your best bet may be 050's. 044's will not fit without an exstensive baffle modification. You may be able to get 050 recone kits to work in the gold cores.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14936

Rob:)

greyhound
05-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Have you tried to order from JBL?? Your best bet may be 050's. 044's will not fit without an extensize baffle modification. You may be able to get 050 recone kits to work in the gold cores.

yes ive tried but the cost is way to high. as i said its about 250,- minimum
a piece.
ther are some great tweeters out there that cost half of that.

greyhound
05-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Not sure if you've seen these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280115437275&rd=1&rd=1

Bit pricey...

A bit pricey is the understatement of the year:D
they dont look very different from the 035 Ti. the front looks metal instead of plastic.

greyhound
05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Have you tried to order from JBL?? Your best bet may be 050's. 044's will not fit without an extensize baffle modification. You may be able to get 050 recone kits to work in the gold cores.

I will contact them again to see if they heve a different recone set that will match. i dont care about the colour anymore so maybe they can give some options.

4313B
05-18-2007, 08:14 AM
yes ive tried but the cost is way to high. as i said its about 250,- minimum
a piece.
ther are some great tweeters out there that cost half of that.It sounds to me like it might be time to pass these on to someone else then. I say that because these are especially rare and I could definitely see someone not batting an eye at putting $500 to $600 into repairing the original transducers. Current MSRP on those tweeters is $283 each.

greyhound
05-18-2007, 08:35 AM
It sounds to me like it might be time to pass these on to someone else then. I say that because these are especially rare and I could definitely see someone not batting an eye at putting $500 to $600 into repairing the original transducers. Current MSRP on those tweeters is $283 each.

so what you are telling me is that i should sell them ?
and you think i can get a nice price for em.
the term "not batting an eye"is new for me.

4313B
05-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Selling them is an option. It beats putting bad money into them. I have no idea if you can get a nice price for them. The are definitely a collectible. Not batting an eye means when you tell someone the price of something they get out their wallet without so much as a blink or even a squint. They are ready and willing to fund the endeavor regardless of cost.

Another option would be to build a new pair of boxes, maybe like the prototype floor standing version and use a different tweeter. That way you can keep the original boxes real nice for that day when a pair of 050's show up on eBay and you can buy them.

greyhound
05-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Selling them is an option. It beats putting money into them. I have no idea if you can get a nice price for them. The are definitely a collectible. Not batting an eye means when you tell someone the price of something they get out their wallet without so much as a squint.

well i havent thought about that untill now. i might be a good idea.
so thank you for that.

Valentin
05-18-2007, 10:29 AM
You should buy the original tweeters and enjoy your speakers and when you get tired of them sell them at ebay you will definitely get what you invested and more

if you try to sell them with difrent tweeters you will not get a payback
if you whant to sell them as thy are please let us know

greyhound
05-18-2007, 11:47 AM
You should buy the original tweeters and enjoy your speakers and when you get tired of them sell them at ebay you will definitely get what you invested and more

if you try to sell them with difrent tweeters you will not get a payback
if you whant to sell them as thy are please let us know

im not planning on selling the speaker because they sound perfect for me.
great accuracy, speed ,tight bass.. guitar music sounds really great.
even with the wrong tweeter. so im upgrading them for myself. the cabinets are also scratched en the back plate is missing. when i bought them the terminals were broken of. it was a real shame. but i had to buy em.
Im realy pleased with them now and its the best speaker i have owned so far. I will only get rid of them to replace them with some old jbl monitors.
4343,4315,4345,4344 something like those

Valentin
05-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Century gold speakers are far better acoustically than any old monitor if you want slam buy a nice sub you will have to spend allot more if you want something better

just an opinion

greyhound
05-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Century gold speakers are far better acoustically than any old monitor if you want slam buy a nice sub you will have to spend allot more if you want something better

just an opinion

and its a welcome opinion. i have considered a sub but holland is a very crowded country and my neighbours suffer enough as it is.
I once listend to a 4430 and a 4435 speaker. the thing that i love about them is the way they give that PA feel to the music. i listen primarily to rock and modern hifi as little to friendly for my taste. but the golds have a nice "live" feel to them and they are musical chameleons.

duaneage
05-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I only saw a pair of the gold speakers once and have not seen them since. that ws 10 years ago. I would fix them while the parts are still available. once they become discontinued it will be too late.

Treat them with care and someday you will have a gold mine on your hands.

RKLee
05-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Current MSRP on those tweeters is $283 each.Wow, that is a lot of money. What is so special about these "bad boys" to warrant charging ~$300US? Are they litterally gold plated or something?

greyhound
05-29-2007, 04:20 AM
Wow, that is a lot of money. What is so special about these "bad boys" to warrant charging ~$300US? Are they litterally gold plated or something?

nope there gold damped. but the price is due to the fact that its a rare tweeter. believe me its not the best tweeter ive heard but it is almost the most expensive one. (for a dome)

RKLee
05-29-2007, 07:42 PM
nope there gold damped. but the price is due to the fact that its a rare tweeter. believe me its not the best tweeter ive heard but it is almost the most expensive one. (for a dome)Wow, the price is just good old supply & demand. I can see why a JBL 375/2441/2482 or Altec 288 would cost so much because of the labor need machine the magnet structure/assembly, but a direct radiator/dome wow.

duaneage
05-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Gold seems like a bad material for tweeter movements since it is heavy and soft.

greyhound
05-31-2007, 03:05 AM
Gold seems like a bad material for tweeter movements since it is heavy and soft.

the actual dome is a litlle different in colour than the rest of the tweeter so i think It might be another material.

greyhound
11-19-2007, 11:34 AM
well i was getting so tired and frustrated with trying to recone / acctually redome the tweeter, but no effort that realy led to satisfaction. so ive decided to buy the gold tweeters
ive paid 522 euro's for them thats about 600 dollars??!

but this speaker is just to nice to sell em or make them anything else than original.
ill post a pic when there finished.

ill take my time in trying to locate 2 new front plates (you know for the logo)

Titanium Dome
11-19-2007, 05:08 PM
I like your dedication. No doubt you'll be rewarded many times over.

greyhound
11-29-2007, 03:54 PM
got the tweeters finally.
after spending a lot of time trying to get them fixed it was a real thrill to unpak them, they look beautifull.:applaud:

when my amp is 100% safe i will install them and place some pics on the forum.
then the century's are done and i can start listening.

im realy curious if the 050 gold will sound different than the 035TI.

Valentin
11-29-2007, 04:37 PM
im realy curious if the 050 gold will sound different than the 035TI

Thy should and probably will its the whole combination tweeter and crossover be sure to have a new battery in the xover

greyhound
11-30-2007, 01:41 AM
Thy should and probably will its the whole combination tweeter and crossover be sure to have a new battery in the xover

the battery is now less than a year old. stats say replace it every two.
felt it with my tong and there was a unpleasant shock so i think there okay.

greyhound
11-30-2007, 04:45 PM
and here we are. another jbl product that was abused back in the original state.
fixed the filter, refoamed the woofers, wax and oiled the cabinets untill all scratches were almost invisible and now the gold tweeters.

its done:applaud:

well i have to admit im a little bit proud:D

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/11/33318404086.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7196423)

Tony
12-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Well done Greyhound:applaud:

Are they all complete now? Did you manage to source any serial number/model plates?

macaroonie
12-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Looks like you need mesh screens for your tweets or did the come with them ?

greyhound
12-01-2007, 06:18 PM
im not familair with the term "mesh"
but the protection for the tweeter is there.

first dissapointment is there.
the little plate with the poles isnt good.
the cables dont transmit the signal to the voice coil. seems to be a bad conaction in the wire. thats the only possible option i have left after checking everything. so ill have to send one back.:(