PDA

View Full Version : LE14A Help

kingjames
05-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Just picked up a set of LE14A's and re-foam is in order. I've noticed on one of the woofers that the cone goes down when I push it down but won't bounce back up unless I pull it up. The other one is fine.

I noticed one edge of the cone was higher then the other and high enough to extend above the frame. Does this need a re-cone or is there a way to fit the voice coil back into it's hole and have some suspension?Thanks!

How much for a cone kit if available,is it worth it or just keep looking on ebay? Thanks for all answer's.

Earl K
05-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Just picked up a set of LE14A's and re-foam is in order. I've noticed on one of the woofers that the cone goes down when I push it down but won't bounce back up unless I pull it up. The other one is fine.

- You need to give more details but the short answer is the spider is worn out ( in addition to the surround ).

I noticed one edge of the cone was higher then the other and high enough to extend above the frame.

- Again, this is indication of a wornout suspension system ( which the spider is part of / the surround is the other part ).

Does this need a re-cone or is there a way to fit the voice coil back into it's hole and have some suspension?Thanks!

- Typically yes a complete recone is in order / but since you've recently stated that you're retired and like flipping JBL products to earn a few bucks during this time / I'd suggest seeing if you can find a way to get some semi-official "reconing" experience. That way you could apply the time you have on hand and completely refurbish these worn out drivers before tossing them back on eBay . This refurbishment would include the extremely labour sensitive job of replacing the spider ( which surrounds the voice-coil ) .

How much for a cone kit if available,is it worth it or just keep looking on ebay?

- Giskard posted some info in that regard within the last month . Do a time sensitive search for all his posts from the last month . ;)

Thanks for all answer's. You're welcome .

kingjames
05-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't mind doing time sensitive work as long as perfect vision isin't required.My eyes are ok but I use reading glasses and thingy's up close just don't look like they use to.I would like to learn this as I think it would just be good to know even if I never do another one again.

I bought these off ebay for $102.50 and picked them up 30 miles from me and figured I'd re-foam and throw back on the bay,but it appears they are in bad shape.

Off to check those posts you were talking about. Thanks! Earl

Earl K
05-14-2007, 03:54 PM
I bought these off ebay for $102.50 and picked them up 30 miles from me and figured I'd re-foam and throw back on the bay,but it appears they are in bad shape.

- Reconing and then trying to recoup all that investment via eBay just won't work / it'll end in tears if profit is the goal .

- I'm of the opinion that the foam in the typical resurround kit is a bit stiffer than the original surround ever was / in other words/ the stiffer surrounds somewhat pickup the slack ( left dangling ) by the loose, "bagged" spider .

- I'd resurround them and then take a look at how level they sit / I bet they level themselves out quite a lot .

:)

kingjames
05-14-2007, 04:08 PM
The old surround is yellow and is on the front of the cone and not the rear and, I noticed is as hard as a rock.It will be a job just to get the old surround off on these. The LE14C's were a cake walk compared to these.

I bought the horns and drivers and crossovers that went with these. I was going to re-foam and list them all in one auction. If I make $50.00 or so I'm happy and someone get's the complete set for a project.

I will try to refoam and see if that works,just worried about the old surround being so hard to get off, I would rather not recone as the cost is too high. Thanks again!

edgewound
05-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Kingjames.

The surround you have there is known as "Lansalloy", which turnsout to be real hard and brittle after so many years.

This is the case where refoaming on the front is the correct way.

Recone kits for LE14A are currently a scarce commodity and priced at $244.00 ea.

If anybody needs an LE14A reconed, I have (3) in stock

hjames
05-14-2007, 05:18 PM
you might want to look up LansAlloy on the site - I believe if they material has gotten hard and its prtty much shot anyway, it'd worthwhile to treat the surround with brake fluid (yeah, for a car) - apparently it can soften the surround and restore a lot of the function.

Search for it here and see what you find out! You may have nothing to loose anyway at this point.

The old surround is yellow and is on the front of the cone and not the rear and, I noticed is as hard as a rock.It will be a job just to get the old surround off on these. The LE14C's were a cake walk compared to these.

I bought the horns and drivers and crossovers that went with these. I was going to re-foam and list them all in one auction. If I make $50.00 or so I'm happy and someone get's the complete set for a project.

I will try to refoam and see if that works,just worried about the old surround being so hard to get off, I would rather not recone as the cost is too high. Thanks again!

kingjames
05-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Won't work Heather, it's completely shot and apart from the frame . Can't help these surrounds and I don't see anything making these soft again short of a miracle but thanks anyway.I am going to buy a kit from R.Cobb and see what happens. If no go then I'll ebay them for a loss I guess.Now that I know there is a voice coil problem on one I'll have to state this in my auction. I like everything up front.

kingjames
05-14-2007, 06:31 PM
I have just been informed by R.Cobb that surrounds are not available for my drivers.I have the old style with the hump facing the magnets and the surrounds on the front. Now what do I do?

hjames
05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
I have just been informed by R.Cobb that surrounds are not available for my drivers.I have the old style with the hump facing the magnets and the surrounds on the front. Now what do I do?

Check with edgewound or GordonW and see what a recone would cost - if thats available ...

Robh3606
05-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Well you can do what I did. Put them on the back and left the original Lansaloy on the front of the cone. It worked OK but was a real pain to do. If you have the divers and can't get them reconned you don't have much to loose. At the time I did mine the recone kits were not available. I have 2 pairs of refoamed Le-14A's. First one is an Le-14A with original foam surrounds. The next is with Lansaloy and the third is a back of the cone shot.

Rob:)

Zilch
05-14-2007, 08:04 PM
OR, you mount standard narrow-roll convex surrounds to the front of the cone:

Robh3606
05-14-2007, 08:11 PM
OR, you mount standard narrow-roll convex surrounds to the front of the cone:

How did you get the Lansaloy off??

kingjames
05-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Well Robh those do look interesting,how do they sound? They're not the prettiest looking but hell if they work that's ok with me.Edgewound posted a little over $200+ on recone's plus his time. I just don't see the cost unless I was going to keep them. On the Bay right now there is a pair with new surrounds for $299.00.

Like I said I'll probably just ebay them and take the loss.You win some you lose some and after those Horns I listed on ebay sold for that amount,I can't complain.

Zilch
05-14-2007, 09:37 PM
How did you get the Lansaloy off??Easy, I took 'em to Audivex. :D

I'll ask him. I think it's just meticulous mechanical removal, but he may use some secret solvent, too.

That was the worst pair of LE14s I ever had redone. Looked like they'd been dragged behind a truck.

I've asked him who's surrounds he uses, but he gives me the "I'd hafta kill ya" routine on that one.

[Knows I'd blab it all over.... :p ]

Robh3606
05-15-2007, 05:25 AM
Easy, I took 'em to Audivex. :D

You cheated! :D Well he did a great job!

Hello Kingjames

They sound fine and have been doing sub duty like that for years now. If your going to flip them I would not try it. Let the new owner give it a whirl. They work fine but there not right either.

Earl K
05-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Easy, I took 'em to Audivex.

- I'd sure like to know how to efficiently remove Lansaloy from the cone edge. What about it Zilch ? Can you please find out his secret method ?

- I have maybe 5 old le14a(s) that need to be refoamed ( as well as have new spiders installed ) .
- My older experiments with gooping/skinning over softened lansaloy ( with brake-fluid ) have finally come to fruitition. The goop ( I created ) finally hardens after a few years, making a refoam necessary .

- Oh well , more things to play with next decade .

:) :p

grumpy
05-15-2007, 09:23 AM
- I'd sure like to know how to efficiently remove Lansaloy from the cone edge. heh... me too... ( cut/scrape, cut/scrape, scrape, scrape, cut/scrape...)