PDA

View Full Version : spamatazoa

jim campbell
05-14-2007, 08:01 AM
it seems that the spammers have found a way to re enter the general info space as soon as one is zapped.i wonder if a few volunteers should have moderator authority but restrict themselves to filtering out this stuff........

Mr. Widget
05-14-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure if that is possible... we will be dealing with this problem though... it is simply that at present several of us have been rather distracted by life outside of the forum.

Widget

hjames
05-14-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure if that is possible... we will be dealing with this problem though... it is simply that at present several of us have been rather distracted by life outside of the forum.

Widget

NO! Say it isn't SO Mr Widget!!

You need some better dedicated folks (or is that desicated people ...)
:applaud:

jim campbell
05-14-2007, 09:28 AM

Widgetwell i understand that the software allows for no division of moderating authority but i would think that self restraint would do it.if one of these sub mods found a post that appeared to violate the forum regulations they could merely inform the uber mods.there is life outside?

hjames
05-14-2007, 09:31 AM
if one of these sub mods found a post that appeared to violate the forum regulations they could merely inform the uber mods

Thats already possible.
When you see a SPAM post - go to the LEFT column for that post and click the triangle with the RED exclamation point. When the report box comes up, just type SPAM ALERT. Apparently it works like a forward to the Mods - so it lets them know there are bad messages in the forum.

What do you mean ... outside?
you mean beyond the glass screen where the electrons dance?

Robh3606
05-14-2007, 09:57 AM
We are getting new members at the rate of about 15 a day many of which are Spammers. We need to change the Registration process but I am not comfortable enough with the Control Panel. We already have a plan but need Don to help implement it. I have been screening new Members and deleting the obvious spammers. We still have no defense for a spammer that comes in and posts immediately. The change in Registration should go a long way in stopping that.

Rob:)

Titanium Dome
05-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Rob

I know you're putting a lot of time into forum-related matters.

Thanks.

Doug

Hofmannhp
05-14-2007, 01:29 PM
We are getting new members at the rate of about 15 a day many of which are Spammers. We need to change the Registration process but I am not comfortable enough with the Control Panel. We already have a plan but need Don to help implement it. I have been screening new Members and deleting the obvious spammers. We still have no defense for a spammer that comes in and posts immediately. The change in Registration should go a long way in stopping that.

Rob:)

Hi All you spammed people out there...:D

we try all to protect you from these spammers.
I look like a hawk, seeing new names....in most cases the registration name shows that soon a spam comes (mostly in the general forum)
They don't have a chance for more than minutes or max one hour to exist here. Till now the Mods work seems ok I think.....

HP

JBLnsince1959
05-14-2007, 01:31 PM

I look like a hawk, seeing new names....in most cases the registration name shows that soon a spam comes (mostly in the general forum)
They don't have a chance for more than minutes or max one hour to exist here. Till now the Mods work seems ok I think.....

HP

I think you guys do a great job.....:applaud:

hjames
05-14-2007, 01:32 PM

HP

Bless your hearts! You guys work REAL hard and we DO thank you for all your hard work!

Hofmannhp
05-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Bless your hearts! You guys work REAL hard and we DO thank you for all your hard work!

thanks also to you Heather-Spam-police, for your numerous links

HP

scott fitlin
05-14-2007, 01:53 PM
I zap, and re-zap spammers.

I get 5 a day approximately. And we do keep the house clean, every thread one of you guys informs us about gets dumped.

Compared to other forums with no membership screening, our forum remains relatively clean, and spam free. So many spammers are very obvious so its easy for me to zap em before they even make their first post.

:D

Earl K
05-14-2007, 04:13 PM
- I'll resuggest that temporarily closing the doors to all new registrants / until the new registration procedure is in place / is always an option / if you guys get sick of zapping .

:)

Audiobeer
05-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Then the inbreeding will start Earl.......What else can we do? We must have new blood! :D

Earl I'm just kidding. Actualy this place has been pretty lucky compared to other boards. I don't know why. I think that the Mods deserve a lot of credit.

jim campbell
05-14-2007, 09:23 PM
while the mods do a great job at filtering out this stuff i just thought that a few more bodies with the pencil would relieve some of the load.we are not terribly innundated with spam but i figgered that if the first guy that saw the stuff could deal with it right then and there the moderators would not have to spend as much time at it..........

4313B
05-31-2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.informationweek.com/internet/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199800077

Robert Alan Soloway, 27, the owner of Newport Internet Marketing Corp. of Seattle, is looking at five counts of identity theft, mail fraud, wire fraud, fraud in connection with electronic mail, and money laundering. If convicted on all the charges, he could face up to 75 years in prison.

Excellent!

scott fitlin
05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
http://www.informationweek.com/internet/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199800077

Robert Alan Soloway, 27, the owner of Newport Internet Marketing Corp. of Seattle, is looking at five counts of identity theft, mail fraud, wire fraud, fraud in connection with electronic mail, and money laundering. If convicted on all the charges, he could face up to 75 years in prison.

Excellent!Yes, and they say we will actually see a drop in our junk email, internet wide, because of this!

I always wanted to put a face to who was responsible for all the spam and junk and fraud emails.

hjames
06-01-2007, 04:13 AM
Maybe - but I am firmly convinced that the largest chunk of internet spam is coming from Zombie computers, clueless owners with unsecured machines that have been taken over by trojans and spybots and who knows what else, sitting on cable modems (high speed pipes) that are just left connected all day and night, with who knows what running in the background, listening to IRC and other places where the zombie army gets its marching (or spamming) orders. If one SPAMMER goes to jail, it just means someone else takes charge of these machines.
I've read plenty of articles talking about this underground technology. If the cable companies actually managed their users and disconnected the infected machines that were mass uploading emails, THEN you might see a drop in spam.

And the whole concept of non-anonymity on the web is as big a can of fish as free speech ... slippery slope, hell, its coated in molybdenum grease!

Yes, and they say we will actually see a drop in our junk email, internet wide, because of this!

I always wanted to put a face to who was responsible for all the spam and junk and fraud emails.

JBLRaiser
06-01-2007, 04:49 AM
I have none. If I get offers, sales pitches, etc. it's because I made contact and accepted their conditions. My computer guy keeps me clean. Anyone who gets spam should have a computer guy.:D

hjames
06-01-2007, 05:32 AM
I have none. If I get offers, sales pitches, etc. it's because I made contact and accepted their conditions. My computer guy keeps me clean. Anyone who gets spam should have a computer guy.:D

Actually, thats a very simplistic view of the problem. The truth is you probably don't get much SPAM because you have no real web presence.

Got any web pages of your own? Own a domain somewhere? Do any real computer tech business? Need to be available for customers to reach you online? can you afford to loose any REAL emails by cutting off SPAM (false positives). Or are you just mostly an end user and surfer? When did you first start using the internet?

It seems to be hit or miss who has SPAM problems - but currently I get around 30-40 SPAMS daily in the spam bin at gmail, maybe a 4-6 in my yahoo account, and probably a dozen in my cox.net account (which is where my personal domains forward to). I do not answer SPAMS, I would buy from an unsolicited email, and I do NOT have a high visibility anymore. My SPAM goes into a dedicated SPAM folder for each of those services, but I still need to actually look at the emails in the SPAM bin to be sure nothing went there by mistake.

But I'm lucky, relatively speaking - I know folks who get hundreds of spams a day and also do NOT reply to SPAM or buy from SPAM. They hate the junk as much as I did - and would never fund a advertiser who spams.

Its not me, nor my fault - but perhaps some of the folks I have dealt with in the past leaked their mail lists to someone who sold it to the spammers. Thats generally how it REALLY works. I know at least one mailing list I used to be on doesn't protect their archives from the spiders that Spammers use to sniff for new customers ... and who knows about the others (Lansing list is great, BTW - your real email address just doesn't show up publicly here unless you post it yourself).

John Nebel
06-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Got any web pages of your own? Own a domain somewhere? Do any real computer tech business? Need to be available for customers to reach you online? can you afford to loose any REAL emails by cutting off SPAM (false positives). Or are you just mostly an end user and surfer? When did you first start using the internet?

It seems to be hit or miss who has SPAM problems - but currently I get around 30-40 SPAMS daily in the spam bin at gmail, maybe a 4-6 in my yahoo account, and probably a dozen in my cox.net account (which is where my personal domains forward to).

Heather,

You probably know this, but spamassassin is quite good, ie. JBL quality.

http://spamassassin.apache.org/

Best,

John

Steve Schell
06-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Dearly Beloved, I am writing to request your able assistance in the transfer of $55 million US...

Spamsters and scamsters are a plague on mankind. I appreciate everything being done by the good people on this forum to combat them.

4313B
06-05-2007, 11:33 AM
You probably know this, but spamassassin is quite goodI would need a body count in order to determine its effectiveness...

Spamsters and scamsters are a plague on mankind.That they are.

jim campbell
06-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Dearly Beloved, I am writing to request your able assistance in the transfer of $55 million US...

i had one variation of that scam try me for some 350 million bucks.i dont think id get out of bed for a measley 55 mil

scott fitlin
06-05-2007, 03:27 PM
i had one variation of that scam try me for some 350 million bucks.i dont think id get out of bed for a measley 55 milI've gotten that email, from African, to Nigerian citizens, telling me they want to deposit hundreds of millions of dollars in my bank, at least twice a week. Still getting them, too.

I get emails alerting me to the fact that I've won the UK Lottery at least once a week too! And to collect all I have to do is provide them with my bank account information, and the money will be deposited in my bank!

So, according to my emails, I must be a billionaire? :bs:

jim campbell
06-05-2007, 07:21 PM
my point exactly,55 mil is an insult

scott fitlin
06-06-2007, 09:04 AM
my point exactly,55 mil is an insultYeah, but you never know when you might need some coffee money!

:D