PDA

View Full Version : A7 horn placment for correct phasing

Dr. Jim Willie
05-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I need to know where to place the horn to get the phasing correct.

I have A7’s with an 808-8B driver on a 511B horn; 421-8H & 421-8LF loud speakers (I am hoping the fact that are different are not too much of a problem).

It states in the application notes AN-9, for correct mechanical alignment that the high frequency voice coil over the low frequency voice coil. There is a chart for the placement of the horn but my horn or HF driver are not on it. Does anyone have or know where I can find this information?

Also, the “app. notes” say mechanical alignment is “the first step in phasing loudspeaker systems at crossover”. What do they mean? I have N1209-8a crossovers. Does anyone have any advice on what this has to do with polarity and if I have to worry about it.

Lastly, because things are never simple. Because of door openings, to keep the speakers balanced in the room, the base cabinets are basically right next to each other. I would like to mount the horns near the ceiling with the same relationship to the front of the coil of the loud speaker. To get better separation I could push the horns further apart & still point them at the same sweet spot or is that a bad idea??? (The room is 25’ by 15’ with the speakers facing in the 15’ direction).

Thank you for your time. This is very exciting to me.

CONVERGENCE
05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Here is a copy of A-7 installation manual. It shows clearly how to install the HF horn.

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/systems/A7-8G%20VOTT%20Speaker%20System%20Manual.pdf

.................................................. ...............................