PDA

View Full Version : JBL 2482

pocketchange
05-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Greeting,

Has anyone had a chance to listen to this driver with a RADIAN diaphram?
If so and you have any thoughts you would like to forward, please pass them along. I have located the OEM replacement, just wondering if the aftermarket
piece and its improved technology would be that much of an improvement.

Thank You.
pc :blink:

speakerdave
05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
. . . . the aftermarket
piece and its improved technology . . . .

What improved technology?

I don't think anyone here has done that test, although RobH was in the process of doing a test with one-inch aftermarket diaphragms; don't know if he completed it or if so how it came out.

You did not make clear whether you want to use phenolic, or if the Radian is phenolic, etc. The 2482 looks tempting as a way to cheap into some large format Alnico JBL, but it only really works for sure if you want to use phenolic/linen diaphragms. The metal JBL diaphragms do not go into that driver, so if you want metal, you must use aftermarket with unknown results. I've see some anecdotal testimonies on other forums, but never any tests.

David

Robh3606
05-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Hello Dave/PC

Still a work in process been working too many hours lately so with any luck in the next month or two I can finish things up. I have not done any testing on the large format drivers. From the limited testing I have done the aftermarket Ti diaphrams were a crap shoot against the real deal. Have not actually tested the Radians which many people like.

Rob:)

pocketchange
05-09-2007, 04:19 PM
A look at the Radian site will better explain their product line than me trying. I was thinking about the metalic example they produce in light of the slightly improved upper FR they report and that it may have a little more definition.
Keeping in mind that a NOS piece would most likely be an improvement over a 30 plus year old dia.
pc

Maron Horonzakz
05-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Yes Ive replaced the phenaulic phram in the 2482 driver with a Radian aluminum diaphram....I was surprised at upper HF extension & clarity, makes it sound like a 2440....For a hundred dollars its worth the tweek.

pocketchange
05-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Added ALK Universal XO"s, Trachorn's and 2404H.
The JBL 2482's mid horn (using the Radian),
new top end conversion is complete.
Sounds excellent with a little adjusting on the
XO's down a couple of notches for the 2482's.
The ElectroVoice KD2 Khorn lives on.
Made in USA. :applaud::bouncy:

Earl K
05-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Added ALK Universal XO"s, Trachorn's and 2404H.
The JBL 2482's mid horn (using the Radian),
new top end conversion is complete.
Sounds excellent with a little adjusting on the
XO's down a couple of notches for the 2482's.
The ElectroVoice KD2 Khorn lives on.
Made in USA. :applaud::bouncy:

I missed this thread previously.

Anyways, here's the response of a Radian 1282 diaphragm in one of my 2 ancient 2482s , mounted onto a H5038 ( Paragon Horn ) .

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=46020&d=1274978914

I've applied a wee bit of HF contouring using a simple ( inline ) RC network .
- ie; ( 8 ohm resistor with a 3 uF cap paralleled across it / both inserted in series with the driver ).

cheers Earl K