PDA

View Full Version : L-300

BIG RED
01-31-2004, 09:53 AM
Ok here goes,about a year ago I won on ebay a pair of what were called L-300's.The serial numbers are 10003 and 10004,the owner said"these were produced for the movie Earthquake" as I remember Cerwin Vega had that honor.They do no have glass top,have all the Jbl tell tale markings and in place of glass is the matching wood grain.The woofer is a 2331?,the mid and the tweeter are the same.Although I have a pair of L-65 and the prism is clear,on the 300'S its dark?I have a pair of LE-15's and am in a spin about what is really in my front room?If anyone knows or can send me in the right direction,I would be a happy pusedoaudiophile.Big Red

boputnam
01-31-2004, 10:14 AM
It seems that the seller - or someone before that - "worked" on those L300's, a bit.

Factory LF = 136A
Factory MF = LE85
Factory HF = 077 (clear diffraction prism)

If needed, the LF's are recommended to be swapped-out for the 2235H (see L300 ts, attached). Might that be a "2231" - if so, it's "OK".

No harm on the 077's - it "sounds" like whomever swapped-in the 2405 pro version (dark prism) of the 077's. They are identical.

BIG RED
01-31-2004, 10:22 AM
I took the woofer out and it is 2231 any ideas on why?The price was right and they do sound EXCELLENT.Thank you for your time.

Don McRitchie
01-31-2004, 10:28 AM
Hi Big Red

The 2231 is a 136A. It is the pro model number for the identical consumer version. The dark prism in the tweeter indicates it is the pro version as well. In other words, the pro model 2405 of the consumer 077. I remember the auction when it was on Ebay. I have never been able to confirm the sellers story, but I suppose it could be true. Cervin Vega definitely provided the subwoofers, but I believe the seller was indicating that the L300 clones were used for the premier, possibly as surrounds. It would appear that the system is functionally identical to the L300, even though the cabinets and drivers differ cosmetically.

BIG RED
01-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Mr.McRitchie Thank you for the insight,I have always been a major Jbl fan and when I won these for 800.00,I was stupefied .The story seemed plausible and when I check the internals,the model numbers I got just did'nt add up to a true Summit.So really what I have is a semi stepped on hybrid L-300,which by the way is a true listening experience.This site rocks show me the direction for donations.Big Red Austin,Texas.

P.S.Shipping was 25.00in gas and a great road trip south of Houston,I still can't believe they are sitting in my front room.

boputnam
01-31-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by BIG RED
This site rock ... show me the direction for donations. Sure does... :yes: And, if you're inclined that way, there's a cool little button for doing that in the upper-right. Nice... :thmbsup: