PDA

View Full Version : S312II

Butch Adams
05-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Any opinions of the Studio Series S312II?
Where does this speaker fit in the JBL line up?
Thanks

Titanium Dome
05-07-2007, 10:23 PM
The S312II from the Studio Series was one step up from from the entry level Northridge Series speakers several years ago. For the money, it was a definite bang-for-the-buck winner.

Those who have never heard it might disparage it due to its appearance and components. Some might prefer dusty, old wood-covered boxes with corroded, tired networks, drooping spiders, and smelly old paper cones. However, the 12" Polyplas woofer, 4" Polyplas midrange, and Ti laminate tweeter will humble many vintage three-way boxes.

boputnam
05-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Nice one, TiDome. I had prepared a reply, suggesting you might know these, having explored the Consumer line more than many here.

Their specs look interesting, although the 92dB sensitivity suggests they like to have some watts behind them...

Titanium Dome
05-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Nice one, TiDome. I had prepared a reply, suggesting you might know these, having explored the Consumer line more than many here.

Their specs look interesting, although the 92dB sensitivity suggests they like to have some watts behind them...

;)

When I first saw them some years back, I thought, "Boy, they're unattractive." Of course I was comparing them to other JBLs on looks alone, and it was somewhat shocking, especially the look of the drivers. Once I heard them, I quickly changed my mind.

They still pop up from time to time on harmanaudio.com in the specials section. I seem to remember one of our members buying a pair in 2006.

4313B
05-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Some might prefer dusty, old wood-covered boxes with corroded, tired networks, drooping spiders, and smelly old paper cones.For expediency can I get that in a spray can? Kind of like pine scent? I want to add that nostalgic aura to my S312II's now and not have to wait 40 years. :yes:

Once I heard them, I quickly changed my mind.Oh, they were definitely designed to successfully compete with their competition.

JBLnsince1959
05-08-2007, 08:44 AM
I own the S312's and have listened alot to the S312II also. They are very good for the money ( bang for the buck) and at the prices you can get them now they are a real bargin...I just saw some on Ebay

and No....they are not the top of the line JBL's or "audiophile" speakers or studio monitors...The Sudio series is really the "statement" speakers for the masses. They are very good, not great.. and in some ways they will be better than the "older" speakers as Dome has said and in other ways they will not be. My personal belief is that they can't touch my Jubals, others may disagree..but then this a very subjective hobby isn't it..

I got mine for the fun of it and they are used as a secondary pair in the living room or for light movie ( in stereo ) use. I really enjoy them and tell people to buy them ( and the 412's particualrly) every chance I get. Whenever I listen to them I'm surprised by how good they are. Some day I may do a side by side with my PS series for the fun of it

Bottom-line of course is to simply listen and make your own decision..

Oh, they were definitely designed to successfully compete with their competition.

perfect....

....and they did that very well..being much better than other speakers sold for the same price.

qxlxp
05-08-2007, 09:36 AM
a while back, somebody posted pictures of the drivers out of the box and they looked really quite impressive.

i don't think the driver color was being marketed to the people that frequent this forum;) if they had been your standard black, i think there may have been a different reaction to them.

Rusnzha
05-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Here ya go!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10866&highlight=studio+series+exposed

Titanium Dome
05-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Here ya go!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10866&highlight=studio+series+exposed

Looking good. :)

JBLnsince1959
05-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Here ya go!

way to go Russ...:applaud:

they really are very good speakers for the money...now if only I could get a 412

Butch Adams
05-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the 411 I have placed a bid on the set posted on ebay.
BTW Does anyone have an opinon of the Studio L8400 Sub?

JBLnsince1959
05-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the 411 I have placed a bid on the set posted on ebay.

:applaud: Let us know what you think..

BTW Does anyone have an opinon of the Studio L8400 Sub?

personally I cann't remember, maybe someone else can answer....

Good luck

brutal
05-09-2007, 09:02 PM
but when I got them, I broke them in 2-channel and after 20 hours of moderate playing, we took them for a ride with a little hard rock on the platter and the 250wpc Yamaha M-80. A few spins of Judas Priest, Nazareth, and some classic AC/DC let them show their stuff. They really do kick hard. A little shrill on the upper end, to the point of ripping through your eyeballs, but all in all, a very nice little bookshelf speaker. They sure do spank the L56's I have sitting here!

I would rather have a set of 312's or 412's than these SVA1600's I have here now.