PDA

View Full Version : Minigon Question

cary
01-30-2004, 04:12 PM
I have always been interested in the JBL Minigone.
How does it sound compared with other JBL's. I currently own 4401, 4312A, L19, L20T, and L26.

Thanks,

Cary Chin

Audiobeer
01-30-2004, 07:00 PM
My opinion only.....They are okay and best served with tubes. On a scale of 1 - 10 of JBL Products of all time.....and the L-26s being a 4, I rate the Minigons as a 2. I'm just stating my opinion that is how I feel. I prefer Minigons as background speakers only.

Oldmics
01-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Hello,The Minigons came in two versions.The version most seen is the one with the vertical rows of wooden slats on each side.The second and lesser seen version uses grill cloth to cover the speakers and tweeters.I have a pair of each and they share the same componets which is the S5 linear efficency system.Also availiable was the LE8 speaker.
The Minigon is a very neutral sounding speaker without great low or hi end frequency extensions.Kinda studio monitor sounding with a lesser frequency response.The unit with the wooden slats produces more frequency response in the bass region.
These are just listen to observations and no measurements have been done to support my opinion.
Definaty a nice sounding and looking backround music speaker with mid century charm.
Best regards,Oldmics

Oldmics
01-30-2004, 11:29 PM
So give us a rundown of your favorite JBL top ten now that we know what #2 and #4 are.
Oldmics

JBL Dog
01-31-2004, 12:05 AM
As an owner of a set of Minigons, I have to agree with Audiobeer and Oldmics. My motivation to get a set was for the collector and artistic value as opposed to sound quality. Mine aren't as "bassy" as they used to be. Audiobeer is holding my LE10's hostage. :banghead:

I would have to say the same thing about the Bel Aires. Not much to listen to, love the design!

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

Maron Horonzakz
01-31-2004, 08:00 AM
The MINIGON was nice to look at but did not have the balls to the wall wallop that my other JBL speakers have.

Alex Lancaster
01-31-2004, 09:17 AM
In other words, think 1950īs Harley-Davidson, great retro looks, but a piece of junk functionally.

Alex.

Audiobeer
01-31-2004, 09:38 AM
As a piece of history I consider them highly collectible! Right now I have a pair of LE10's and I'm looking for some cabinets! :D

JBL Dog
01-31-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Audiobeer
As a piece of history I consider them highly collectible! Right now I have a pair of LE10's and I'm looking for some cabinets! :D

D'oh!!

How can I creatively say "you suck" without getting this post edited by the powers that be??

:die:

Maron Horonzakz
01-31-2004, 06:23 PM
The MINIGON is like St Louis beer weak and pale.

JBL Dog
01-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Maron Horonzakz
The MINIGON is like St Louis beer weak and pale.

:moon:

Maron Horonzakz
02-01-2004, 08:58 AM
JBL DOG.......I bought my MINIGIN at AEOLIAN down town Stlouis. ...I was born in St louis...In the shadow of AB Brewery. My grandfather & Aunt worked at AB. ....But when I bought my MINIGON I was foolish bought on looks not sound. (like my women) It wasnt till I built my PARAGON that I opened my heart to that curved beast. I still love that big open sound of the PARAGON even though that unit doesnt image as well as a METRAGON. The MINIGON? It images better when seperated. but what does,nt?