PDA

View Full Version : Low-Budget Discount, S-36 Viscount?

GordonW
01-30-2004, 12:11 AM
OK, so... I won't even try to front. I'm trying to do something for nothing, basically. :D

Got a pair of C36 cabinets, empty, that were given to me a while back. Also, now have a pair of 2220J woofers (thanks JJ!).... close enough to 130As, for government work.

Now, what I need: some sort of horn/driver that will "sub in" for the LE175 and horn/lens. However, since the rest of this project has cost 0 dollars out of pocket so far, I'm looking to try to do this, without spending much $...

What I was thinking of: as for a horn flare, this has been recommended to me: MCM Electronics carries a short, conical 90-degree dispersion horn... check it out:

http://www.newark.com/product-details/text/mcm/html/54-580.html

I think this should be able to bolt into the hole in the C36 baffle... the hole is between 5 1/2 and 6" diameter.

This, with something to make a decent substitute for the LE175 (of course, a 2425J or the like, would be ideal, but again, that'd be $$), might just do it. Keep in mind, that I DO have access, to a very sophisticated measurement apparatus, and am not averse to building the crossover, to flatten out the response a bit up top, of whatever I get.

So, what I'm basically asking: Anyone know of a GOOD low-buck option for a HF driver, at least until I can afford to (or get lucky and find cheap) get a 2425 or its ilk? Just something I can safely take down to the 1200 Hz crossover point... or even down to 2400 Hz, if 1200 ain't gonna cut it. What I would want, is something that might have the "general character" of the LE175 or 2425... I'm even thinking, the local PA repair place near here has some old 2"-diaprhagm EV drivers... it doesn't have to be perfect, just fixable/usable.

In short, this is kinda a learning experience for me... to get used to dealing with more horn-loaded mid-HF drivers and such. If I can get it to sound good, so much the better!

Thanks for any suggestions...

Regards,
Gordon.

Ian Mackenzie
01-30-2004, 01:50 AM
Gordon,

For budget prices and excellent performance consider P Audio.

This link will guide you to the Nth American distributor:

http://www.paudiosystem.com/world/index.htm

And this link for product:

http://www.paudiosystem.com/products/db_2_12.htm

Cheers

Ian:cool:

Guido
01-30-2004, 04:34 AM
I tested the P Audio BM-D450 on several Horns.

At the moment I published only Impedance curves but response curves will follow soon.

See my Website:

http://www.behringer-electric.de/ls/RareInfos.htm

The Bm-D450 is not usable below 2 kHz!!!

The PH230 is a nice replacement for the 2342
The PH316 is a nice replacement for the 2344

Alex Lancaster
01-30-2004, 07:39 AM
I´ve picked up some 2410´s cheap on eBay, and 2307 horns, that would be more "with it" wouldn´t it?

Luck!

Alex.

Mr. Widget
01-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Hey Gordon,

I don't know how cheap you want to go, but I would bet a bit of patience and you will find some working rust bucket LE175s for very little cash on eBay.

An alternative is the Martin Sound Catalog. They have very inexpensive components.

800-321-6306

I don't understand your quest, but then again there are many who don't understand my appreciation of JBLs.:)

Widget

whgeiger
01-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Guido
I tested the P Audio BM-D450 on several Horns.

At the moment I published only Impedance curves but response curves will follow soon.

See my Website:

http://www.behringer-electric.de/ls/RareInfos.htm

The Bm-D450 is not usable below 2 kHz!!!

The PH230 is a nice replacement for the 2342
The PH316 is a nice replacement for the 2344

G,

When a 'driver test' is made on horn, the measurement reflects the quality of the marriage of the horn and driver, not the driver alone. For the driver alone, a PWT is required. Particularly what you are seeing at the bottom end of the frequency spectrum is horn characteristics, not those of the driver. Of course, all compression drivers become displacement limited at low frequencies, depending on the size of the diaphragm and how close it is to the phase plug.

Regards,

WHG

GordonW
02-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Hey, has anyone used a JBL 2460 driver? A buddy of mine, has a pair of these sitting at his repair shop, he said I could try them out if I like. Could 2410 or 2420/21/25 diaprhagms be put into these? They look like a slightly smaller version, similar to the 2410/LE85, physically... I've never seen them before, but they could be an interesting "interim" horn driver choice...

I'm still stymied on a horn flare. Need a small round mouth horn, ala the small potato masher or something dimensionally similar. I'm absolutely NOT going to cut the cabinets... so it's gotta fit in there, about a 5.5" diameter hole, IIRC. Also, the horn length can only be about 9-10 inches- cabinet depth is only 15" internally... that limits things a bit too...

Regards,
Gordon.

hutch
02-04-2004, 06:59 AM
Hi Gordon here's what I put into my cabnets that I had.
Tad 1601, JBL 2020 driver and the smaller conical horn
that Jbl makes, also used the JBL LX16 crossover from the
L200, These speakers go nicely with my pair of L200's.
It was a tight fit and I had to file down the front of the
horn a littte for the cover to slide in.
Hutch