PDA

View Full Version : My babies are gone...

Ken Pachkowsky
05-05-2007, 05:11 PM
The new owner picked up the HR-1's today:(. They are on the way back to Oregon where they will reside over an API console. We had enough time for the new owner to listen to some tunes before loading them onto the truck.

One thing I won't miss is moving them around.

I ended up selling him the balance of my Boulder amps and the K2 as well.

I will be starting from scratch again:)

The journey begins......(again)

Ken

Titanium Dome
05-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Ken's audio dreams, rising like a Phoenix from the ashes...

:applaud:

lfh
05-05-2007, 07:17 PM
So how do you like the BBSM-8:s? Perhaps building bass cabinets for them (like the ones available for BBSM-10) would be a fairly quick route to "large format monitor sound", yet in a smaller package?

Ian Mackenzie
05-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Why on earth did you do that?

After all the work. Crazy.

Your starting from scratch? Weird .

Ken Pachkowsky
05-05-2007, 07:40 PM
The fact is they are not here yet. Westlake has run into a problem with replacing the mid-range driver. The original is no longer available and they replaced it with another brand. Glenn Phoenix is not satisfied with the performance and wants to make changes to the passive crossover. They tested them on Friday and were not happy. After running some graphs they noticed several problems. I will find out more on Monday.

It appears the tweets need replacing as well. My great deal on the 8's is becoming....not so great:( . They want 1k just to make the changes in the network.

I agree, by adding a 15 or 18 (2245 yum:D ) it could make a more manageable 4-way system.

The beauty is that the passive network is already designed for bi/tri-amping and adding the sub-woofer. Just requires simple rewiring internally as the components are already mounted on the network. It must be a substantial network as it's 42lbs (almost half the weight of the box).

As great as it was, I will shy away from a 4 amplifier system again.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
05-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Well, I can't disagree with you. It was an awesome system but not very conducive to a home environment. Julie tolerated them because she loved the quality of the sound but hated the way they looked.

I will never be able to match what I had sonically but will enjoy another journey. Buyers for HR-1's don't come along every day. I offered them to 2 members for 2/3 what I got for them and they did not bite. Lets be honest, most would never put a pair in there home or spend the money required to do so. A Broker called me with a buyer at several thousand more than I was asking......I could not resist, as tough as it was to let them go. Just like the 4345's I sold to Bo.

We took a beating on our house in California and dumped it for over 100k less than we wanted. I made over 18k on the system by selling it. I will take half that and start again. I know some of you don't like we equipment flippers but it has allowed me to hear many different components while building a world class system with other peoples money.:applaud:

Ken

merlin
05-06-2007, 12:32 AM
I saw a really nice pair of HR-7's in piano black recently ;)

Going for around $35K.....

spkrman57
05-06-2007, 04:36 AM
We took a beating on our house in California and dumped it for over 100k less than we wanted. I made over 18k on the system by selling it. I will take half that and start again. I know some of you don't like we equipment flippers but it has allowed me to hear many different components while building a world class system with other peoples money.:applaud:

Ken

Sometimes we have to weigh the needs against the wants!

Good luck with your new system in the works!

Regards, Ron

Rolf
05-06-2007, 06:13 AM
I am thinking to sell my 4343B's, and buy some Bose 901. Do you think I can get a great deal? :blink: And the Bose is supposed to be a great upgrade.

4313B
05-06-2007, 06:37 AM
it has allowed me to hear many different components while building a world class system with other peoples money:applaud: Outstanding! :rotfl:

I am thinking to sell my 4343B's, and buy some Bose 901.Doesn't Bose have anything newer that you like instead of the 901? Or are you Legacy Land all the way?

Fangio
05-06-2007, 06:51 AM
I am thinking to sell my 4343B's, and buy some Bose 901. Do you think I can get a great deal? :blink: And the Bose is supposed to be a great upgrade.
I'm guilty to have had 901's too Rolf - but corrected that mistake with 18 already, to buy my first JBL's. Am still thinking sometimes, just admitting to have had those, costed me the goodwill of 2/3 of the forum members - and therefore, their answers to any of my posts. :D Think about it for a minute please..

Ken, I understand you got an offer that was impossible to resist. And we will have the pleasure to see a new-arranged system arising (I hope), on the heeled side of our membership spectrum.
http://www.sapphireitaly.com/forum/images/sapphire/smilies/popcorn.gif
Isn't that a good thing? :)

Rolf
05-06-2007, 07:22 AM
To All: It was a joke!:D

SEAWOLF97
05-06-2007, 10:59 AM
To All: It was a joke!:D

its not always apparent when you are and are not joking , Rolf.

Rolf
05-06-2007, 11:03 AM

ok. I stop posting jokes. My oh my.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-06-2007, 11:06 AM

Heh guys, no worries. I was not offended.

Ken

Titanium Dome
05-06-2007, 11:26 AM

ok. I stop posting jokes. My oh my.

Heh guys, no worries. I was not offended.

Ken

Rolf's post seemed funny to me. It had both irony and admiration in it, I think.

After all, the average person would likely keep a great set up thinking it could never be improved upon, OR would only look at it as a money-making opportunity and think he could make a profit and still get something great to replace it (like Bose or Polk or something).

Ironically, Ken knows it's tough to get the real value out of his former gear and that he'll have a tough time replacing it. Yet he also knows that the journey is half the fun and you can't continue the journey if you think you've arrived.

(And it's highly unlikely that he's heading to Boseville or Polktown.)

Ken, I think you've got some great adventures ahead. :drive: :smthsail:

boputnam
05-06-2007, 12:20 PM
...Ironically, Ken knows ...he'll have a tough time replacing ... his former gear. .

hjames
05-06-2007, 12:57 PM
For us newbies ...

Is that one generation of Ken's old gear (4345?) that is now Bo gear?

Steve Schell
05-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Ken, we are all equipment flippers if we are smart about it; that's how we gather experience and form our preferences.

As evidenced by much of the "high end" marketplace, knowledge will get one much farther than a big checkbook when it comes to assembling a great system. I feel confident that you will have another superb sounding system together before long.

boputnam
05-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Is that one generation of Ken's old gear (4345?) that is now Bo gear?Hi, Heather...

Yup - them was in Ken's care until they met me...

...I know some of you don't like we equipment flippers but it has allowed me to hear many different components while building a world class system with other peoples money.Uh, that would certainly include me! I think I might have been one of your first "victims".

Hell - there was nothing I could do - I decided to take one for the team! A martyr for Lansing Heritage... :p

4313B
05-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Uh, that would certainly include me! I think I might have been one of your first "victims".

Hell - there was nothing I could do - I decided to take one for the team! A martyr for Lansing Heritage... :p:rotfl: Poor Bo the victim.

BTW - Haven't you taken more than one for the team over the course of all these years?

boputnam
05-07-2007, 09:41 AM
BTW - Haven't you taken more than one for the team over the course of all these years?Ha! :rotfl:

Only one from Ken - that took me right to the top!

I did snag a few 4313B's from audiobeer way-back-in-the day.

I know there are a few out there in eBaydome that took some Behringer from me - that there is some real duty, buyers! Don't know why the sold - they were even listed as Behringer!! :nanana:

X_X
05-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I just finished reading this thread and I must say- there are a heap of people that would lay in the street for what you have at this very moment. Yes, it is certainly a step down from what you had, yet it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of! Chin up, mate! You still have world class monitors and with an 18 on the ULF- they might really come alive! It's also a great way to implement that missing 2245 slam you longed for. :bouncy:

Perhaps some of what you are missing is the horns. The little BBSm's are near fields, so you may need to give your allcones a real poke to get a good (home listening type) sound. I'd experiment with powerful amps. Ian recently had this experience with a pair of smallish allcone Dynas at home, in which he put the big Passlabs on them. He can comment further but he claimed a good knocking.

I also adore the way a lively valve pre pairs with allcones. It can help enhance and/or restore some of those lost transient snaps. A choice valve pre can convey a larger (albeit somewhat artificial) sense of space- similar to what a good waveglide does in widening the money seats.

Also worth noting is the little BBSM's preference to be soffit mounted. Perhaps if you do get a nice 2245 sub box- you could mount the monitors to the sub cabinet (vs de-coupling) and take advantage of their mass. It might help squeeze a bit more midbass punch out of them.

Best of luck, mate.