PDA

View Full Version : Any current or modern uses for 2310/2309 Folded Serpentine Lenes/horns - Hartsfields?

mech986
05-05-2007, 12:28 AM
I've always liked looking at the large folded serpentine acoustics lenses that were used on the Hartsfield (gold anodized) and its Professional version, the 2310 lens/2309 horn. Aside from maybe an older Augspuger monitor, are there any suggestions for modern use of these horn/lens combos?

I've searched the forums but don't seem to find many people trying to apply these monsters - lots of interest in the Smith 2397's, or wood horn versions of the 2345/2350 and similar, and of course the biradials in their original and flat face versions, and lest I forget, the PT waveguides.

So besides these serpentine horns looking so interesting, do they really have a use today?

I'd think they would make a bitchin' low-mid horn with a 244x or 245x driver, and then top off with favorite JBL tweeter (comp horn or otherwise).

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

Regards,

Bart

grumpy
05-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Hmm... something like if you don't have room for a 2395 but you want
that coverage & sound might be a reason to use them (other than cool looks)
:) Seem to recall a dual E145 bottom and 2390 top for short-throw/small
theater use...with a small baffle... 80's pro? Might find some ideas in the
catalog. Would be fun to hear if you have/get some :D

-grumpy

(yep... 4670. used 2441 ... "usable" to 18KHz)

Robh3606
05-05-2007, 10:30 AM
I like the little ones. No reason you can't use them in a current project and see if you like them. You may be better served with a more modern horn but it's what you like. The Clasic Audio Heartsfield reproductions use them and they sounded just fine to me.

Rob:)

grumpy
05-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I like the little ones the LE-5 lenses? (ala Oracle/Disco?)

mech986
05-05-2007, 10:51 AM
the LE-5 lenses? (ala Oracle/Disco?)

Yeah, I think those are the related L94 lenses used on the Oracle/Disco. Lots more compact and midrange oriented or used I guess. Always thought these were cool also. However, seems again to be only on these 2 models so much harder to find.

Regards,

Bart

4313B
05-05-2007, 11:04 AM
I've always liked looking at the large folded serpentine acoustics lenses that were used on the Hartsfield (gold anodized) and its Professional version, the 2310 lens/2309 horn. Aside from maybe an older Augspuger monitor, are there any suggestions for modern use of these horn/lens combos?They were also included in the Loudspeaker Component Series S23 kit:

130A/130H, 375/376, 075, HL89, LX50A, N7000

"A maximum efficiency, maximum sound pressure level system capable of filling large rooms with undistorted sound at high volume."

In actual practice - insanely loud with the larger SS amps of the day driving them.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/catalogs/1976-comp.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/catalogs/1979-comp.htm

edgewound
05-05-2007, 01:54 PM
What is most striking to me about those lenses is the wide, off axis, no beaming coverage.

It really tames some of the fatigues that a compression driver can give at short distances.

And....yeah....they look cool too:applaud:

SMKSoundPro
05-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I also have a pair of these 2309 horn and lense combination with 2440's , and am wondering where they would best fit in my audio world?

We had them mounted in their own plywood open framed box and stacked them on top our prostacked SR rig. Used them for 1200hz and up, usually for outdoor concerts and things.

I was thinking of using them for a 2x15" (2225/2226) and this horn/lense combo in a trap box (ala SR4733a) for himid duty in the big ballroom. Now I have received some 2380, 2385 & 2386 horns w/ 2445 drivers to decide from.

Any good advice in utilizing these horn/lense combos is greatly appreciated.

What about an E145 in a box with this 2309/2310 and a 5232 xover with 800hz cards for general hifi use in the main bar area?

Or... my living room, and sitting 30' away which would be somewhere in the front yard!

Scott.

Steve Schell
05-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree with edgewound. A friend uses a pair of Hartsfield mid drivers/horns/lenses on top of his bass cabinets and they sound very good both on and off axis.

mech986
05-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far, seems like they're still a viable driver/horn/lens combination if there is room and depth to work with. Some installations I've seen have the drivers out bare with a support and the lens mounted on a small baffle not very much larger than the lens itself. Is there any advantage to using a larger baffle?

Here's an auction from Australia that I was following, tried to message the seller about possible shipping to USA but he never got back to me. These went for a song (<$100 USD) and I figured shipping would have been about $125. I've just seen a horn/Lens combo go for about $550 total so still would have been ahead on these. Oh well, will keep looking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290110901723&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

Regards,

Bart

grumpy
05-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Is there any advantage to using a larger baffle?"The lens requires a baffle to function properly in the crossover region."
Loading, I presume.
Appears going that low also gives up vertical pattern control
(800Hz+ being more normal). Normal MA25 mounting kit appears
to be at least similar to what you've shown in the auction from Oz...

So, sounds like "not usefully" is the short answer.

-grumpy

20x20" baffle is recommended for use when not in a cabinet....
noticed this later...:o:

100AMPFUSE
05-07-2007, 11:43 AM
HELLO,I was wondering what the effect would be if the lens was recessed into the cabinet(how would it affect the overall sound),the front of lens would be flush with the front edge of the cabinet,I want to have all of the drivers to be covered in back of the grill cover.right now they are mounted on top of the cabinets using the ma 25 kits.wife issues!

Zilch
05-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Acoustic lens is partially recessed in Hartsfield and L220/2, but more typically, they're hidden behind deep grilles....

grumpy
05-07-2007, 12:16 PM
right now they are mounted on top of the cabinets using the ma 25 kits.wife issues!

Yes, they are terrible. Send them to me so that I may properly dispose of them ;)
(joking).

If I read between the lines here:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/pro-comp/horns-lens/page3.jpg
high frequency dispersion may be affected if you mount them flush into a baffle...
This may not bother you. Just thinking about it would bother me :). An extended
grille/recessed mount (as mentioned already) might help you reach your aesthetic
goal. Send pics, you might get more ideas.:D

-grumpy

bellavoce
05-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi, i just joined and what a great first thread to pick up on! I love those serpentine lenses. Hope to get a set someday. I've had a pair of the 2395 36" horn/lenses for years. They're a bit much for my listening area. Got a great subsitute though. My son gave me a set of 1" McCauley horns with 20" slant plate lenses. They're like the 2395's scaled down. They fit perfect on top of JBL 4507 15" utility box. I'm running an old set of 2470 drivers with the original phenolic diaphrams (very warm mids)with 2405 super tweets. He recently picked up a pair of the small serpentine lenses he flush mounted on some old 4300 utility boxes and seem to be working out real nice. If i can get my neighbor lady to take some pictures for me i'll have her help me post them. This seems like a great site glad i joined.
bellavoce

100AMPFUSE
05-07-2007, 10:42 PM
OK,GRUMPY since you are the first to offer proper dispose of this hazard ,send me your address I will pay for shipping,just make sure you dispose of them in a proper manner(just joking!!!:p )I do have to agree with what your said,I have had these mounted on top of the bass cabinet since 1979,they were coupled to 2/1 adapter running 175's,which really made it impossible to put every driver in the cabinets plus the cost of 375's were more $$$ than I could afford,but like the old saying goes every dog has this day,I do remodeling and went to a home to bid on a job and found a built in stereo system-JBL S82 x 2-McIntosh/Fisher/Sherwood electronics,and was told the new owners wanted it gone!:jawdrop: :screwy:

so now I have the 375's and all the extra's,after hearing the big difference between the 175's-375 and my wife's bitching(they sound so life like-- but they look so out of place)I started thinking of the best of both worlds,the problem is building some type of cover over the top of the cabinet(in my mind that would look kind of goofy a box on top of a box OR something like the old OHM speakers,made out of grill cloth)or build a cabinet to house all the drivers,that's where I'm at now. :D

Steve Schell
05-07-2007, 11:51 PM
I like your enthusiasm, bellavoce. Welcome aboard!

Maron Horonzakz
05-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Flush mounting will reduce some of the wide dispersion pattern of those lens, If you put your ear directly at the lens side you will hear alot of the sound ...This is what its designed to do..."That" you are throwing away.