PDA

View Full Version : RCA MI-9449

tnc
05-04-2007, 01:40 PM
I know this a Lansing forum but I am hoping someone would know about these RCA 9449. I have a chance to buy these and just wondering if anyone would know the specs for these. How high can they go up to. I am thinking about getting these and cross them at 1600hz with a pair of Altec 902 on top. Thanks.

Also, can these be good for open baffle as well.

grumpy
05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=461732http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=461732

tnc
05-05-2007, 03:19 AM
????????????????????????

speakerdave
05-05-2007, 09:41 AM
That link doesn't seem to work.

tnc: We have a local expert on this ancient stuff; until he sees your post and chimes in, the rest of us are not going to be much help.

David

Steve Schell
05-05-2007, 09:42 AM
The RCA MI-9449 is a classic theatre woofer, with very light cone and powerful motor. They were intended for bass horn use, and would be less suitable for other types of cabinets. The paper outer hinge can fail if driven to excessive excursions. Used as intended, they offer very lively sound with excellent attack and clarity.

Not sure how well they would work up to 1.6kHz.; RCA used them up to 400Hz. in their radial horn systems. Here is some literature:

tnc
05-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Thank you much for those who helped. And thank you for those who made me look stupid. This will be my last post in this forum..

trueview
05-05-2007, 07:21 PM
He meant look it up before you post some idiotic post.

:blah:

-Storm
nice goin dude:(

Steve Schell
05-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Sorry to hear that, tnc. There's no accounting for the behavior of some on an open forum like this, but you are welcome back here anytime. Nobody made you look stupid BTW, but they may have not done themselves any good.

scott fitlin
05-06-2007, 02:32 PM
tnc, my name is Scott and Im the moderator that deleted the offending post. As well as finding the post you found offensive objectionable myself, and deleting it, I would like to apologize to you on behalf of the forum, and myself, it is NOT the normal conduct of this forum. I also recieved complaints from other members about the same post, so, members here are good people and dont insult others. We do want you to come and be a part of our community.

I hope you DO come back and join us for more audio discussion.

:D

Steve Schell
05-06-2007, 11:08 PM
You da man, Scott.

Hempopotamus
02-19-2017, 07:53 PM
I know this a Lansing forum but I am hoping someone would know about these RCA 9449. I have a chance to buy these and just wondering if anyone would know the specs for these. How high can they go up to. I am thinking about getting these and cross them at 1600hz with a pair of Altec 902 on top. Thanks.

Also, can these be good for open baffle as well.

.... Hi, Jason here at HEMP-O.....
The RCA 9449's , they were obviously a 15"
OD transducer, with a somewhat large powerful AlNiCo composition magnetic assembly, which bolted onto the thick stanped steel frame...
They used a fully ribbed,. all paper cone assembly, which actually had a decent compliance and excursion capability, allowing the extended low end, yet with the all paper assembly, could operate well into the range that beaming became an issue.... hence, the use in the PL301A system....
I THINK they had a 2" ID voice coil, but memory fails me...
The cool thing guys- I DO have repair components for the 9449's, which have the correct all paper cones, and correct compliance and response.... My HEMP-O cones work rather well as well, but that's only for when performance outweighs authenticity...
If I can be of ANY help on some of these oddball, rarely seen, old units that are well out of production, and you can't find info on- just ask...

Contact me at 4199081440 hempopotamusloudspeakers1@gmail, hempo speakers.con, or [email protected].....
KEEP THOSE VINTAGE SPEAKERS RUNNING!!!