PDA

View Full Version : Crossover Design Help - 4406 / 115H-1

tmckien
01-29-2004, 07:20 AM
I am going to build a small center channel speaker using an 035ti and 2 115H-1 drivers to try to get a little more fullness than the 4406 design. Could 4406 or t20 crossovers be modified to accommodate the second 115H-1? Or should I use 2 4406 crossovers ignoring the HF side? What would happen to the crossover point & response curve if I just put the 115s in parallel using just the original 4406 crossover? Is there a recommended "layman's guide" or software that would help me design this sort of thing without needing extensive measuring equipment and complex (manual) calculations?

Thanks for any suggestions, Terry M.
PS: The other speakers in this system are: Main: L150 w/104H-2 Mids and 4406 surrounds in a very large (6K+) room.

Robh3606
01-29-2004, 08:50 AM
Fullness meaning ??? Also you would have to modify the stock crossovers with 2 woofers in parralel.

Rob:)

tmckien
01-29-2004, 09:14 AM
By fullness, I want it to sound bigger....like a 4311 or 4312. Not "louder"....just bigger, which generates the question of what does "bigger" mean.

What are the attributes that make the larger speaker sound better at the same volume? Enhanced bass? I would use a 43xx or 44xx but I don't have enough room to fit one in.

So I guess what I am really trying to do here is make a 4406 sound more like a 4311/12!

Robh3606
01-29-2004, 10:54 AM
A 4406 doesn't work for you as a center now with bass management set small??

"What are the attributes that make the larger speaker sound better at the same volume? Enhanced bass? I would use a 43xx or 44xx but I don't have enough room to fit one in."

Lots of things! Enhanced bass won't really work here. You can get the paired woofers to -10db@ 40 hZ but for movies you want clean dialog. Much better of keeping the low bass garbage out of the center. Granted your power handling and sensitivity will increase but as a fullrange movie center there are much better choices. Same problem though size.

Well first thing is WHAT box size you can you tolerate. Grab a shareware box program such as WinIsd. If you do a search the T/S parameters are in a post on this site in the archives. Load them and see what you get with a pair. They come up as 1.5 Cu.ft with a pair for flattest response -3@ 48Hz. That box size is not all that small. You can make the box smaller but you will loose bass extension and give up linearity/flat frquency response to do it. I think you really need to look at what you want to do and see if the drivers will give you what you want in a box size you can live with.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

http://www.loudspeakers101.com/Sound.htm

Rob:)