PDA

View Full Version : L.H. Should Pay for Web-Site Hosting

Earl K
05-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi All,

- Simply put, I believe it's time that we put an end to the current "free-ride" that this site currently enjoys ( by getting free, Web-Site Hosting ) / and / that we submit to paying "fair market prices" for these services .

- I'll suggest that Jan. 1 2008 would be a reasonable date to start paying for the services . This time period should give the membership the necessary time to get the sites' financial health in order .

- I have no idea what this service would be worth ( perhaps John Nebel can enlighten us ) . It may cost more than what we currently raise on an annual basis.

- If so, the membership will need to step up fund-raising activities ( or pay an annual membership fee based on "true-costs" ) .

- I also think, it wouldn't be a good idea to ask Harman Corp. to support this site financially .

:)

JBLRaiser
05-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Hi All,

- Simply put, I believe it's time that we put an end to the current "free-ride" that this site currently enjoys ( by getting free, Web-Site Hosting ) / and / that we submit to paying "fair market prices" for these services .

- I'll suggest that Jan. 1 2008 would be a reasonable date to start paying for the services . This time period should give the membership the necessary time to get the sites' financial health in order .

- I have no idea what this service would be worth ( perhaps John Nebel can enlighten us ) . It may cost more than what we currently raise on an annual basis.

- If so, the membership will need to stepup fund-raising activities ( or pay an annual membership fee based on "true-costs" ) .

- I also think, it wouldn't be a good idea to ask Harman Corp. to support this site financially .

I second it.

Robh3606
05-04-2007, 08:08 AM
The arangements Don has made to to host the site has worked out very well indeed. One of the reasons why we have not had a Forum Colapse for the last 4 years has been due to where the site is hosted. It has also allowed this site to grow without worrying about how much server space we occupy. There are many hidden benefits that we all should be very thankful for.

I don't see what would be gained.

As far as Harman funding the site?? We don't want to go there.

Rob:)

hjames
05-04-2007, 08:08 AM
What the heck does this have to do with anything?

You guys aren't mods and have little input on the site and the ongoing operation of the servers. I don't either - but I do work with a government agency with a few dozen servers that get a few hundred thousand hits a day (grin) ...

Do you have any background in this field to base your request?

What exactly would be the gain - what do you feel the site isn't getting currently? Any design constraints you wanted to bring to the table?

Anything specific??

Do you have any idea what resources are required for a site of this size?

Frankly - it would be a MUCH simpler site without the forums - managing a large collection of documents and images is fairly straightforward - dynamic applications like forums and chatrooms and the associated backend databases are much more server intensive.

Besides - Giskard said they have a new site being finalized - so anything related to the current site is more than likely a moot point anyway.

JBLRaiser
05-04-2007, 08:17 AM
What the heck does this have to do with anything?

You guys aren't mods and have little input on the site and the ongoing operation of the servers. I don't either - but I do work with a government agency with a few dozen servers that get a few hundred thousand hits a day (grin) ...

Do you have any background in this field to base your request?

What exactly would be the gain - what do you feel the site isn't getting currently? Any design constraints you wanted to bring to the table?

Anything specific??

Do you have any idea what resources are required for a site of this size?

Frankly - it would be a MUCH simpler site without the forums - managing a large collection of documents and images is fairly straightforward - dynamic applications like forums and chatrooms and the associated backend databases are much more server intensive.

Besides - Giskard said they have a new site being finalized - so anything related to the current site is more than likely a moot point anyway.

Unless you enjoy your 'Dump the Chump' moments. All suggestions are intended to make life easier here. These are just suggestions. No demands. Please don't get your PIAW.:D

hjames
05-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Question - do you have a need to quote an entire long well-thought out message just to type a brief sentence or 2 response?

Otherwise - in case you hadn't notice - I don't do "Dump the Chump" anymore. There is a new technique EVEN YOU can do - when you see a SPAM message - look in the left column and click the triangle with the exclamation point to report that spam to the mods... There is no longer any point to respond to the spammers in any public way.
Tell the Mods the spam is there and move on ... You DO know how to just MOVE ON, right?

Unless you enjoy your 'Dump the Chump' moments. All suggestions are intended to make life easier here. These are just suggestions. No demands. Please don't get your PIAW.:D

Getting new web hosting is an entirely different topic than Spam prevention.
INFORMED suggestions might even be helpful.
You frustration does NOT make you informed.

4313B
05-04-2007, 08:38 AM
As far as Harman funding the site?? We don't want to go there.Oh hell no! :rotfl:

What the heck does this have to do with anything?I don't know.

I don't see what would be gained.Nothing.

From private conversations, and none of them with the ten usual posters, there has been nothing but negativity associated with this forum for quite a few years now. That is due to at least a couple of things - nostalgia for what was and remaining interest in seeing a very professional site. While it would probably be nice to do something about it I really don't see that happening in the near future.

Here's my take on it. You have a forum. It has changed dramatically over the years, it's membership, it's focus, it's discussions. Those changes are largely driven by critical mass. The critical mass is "base" so you are going to end up with a "base" forum. There is too much latitude in the posted goal of the forum to force it to be anything greater. The answer to this has been "it's the nature of the beast" and "everyone is free to come and go as they please". In other words - it is what it is. From a "normal" person's perspective it serves it's purpose just fine. One joins, one posts his or her query or experience and one then goes on with his or her life. Those who are addicted have a problem and they're going to have to find their intervention from somewhere outside the forum. It's just a forum. Those who are genuinely interested in forming relationships with like-minded Lansing Heritage members know full well that those relationships are best served in real life and not on the Internet and they have gone on to do so.

Yeah, we could ban the ten or twenty lifestylers but really, why bother. This is the only place they can be heard and it's obviously a need they have so let them run with it. As long as everyone stays within the stated guidelines it's all fair game. I know alot of you hate to sift through all the static but I think that's just going to be the way of it. Use your PM's, emails and telephones. Use Netmeeting. Set up some video conferencing. Whatever it takes. Just try to enjoy yourselves as best you can.

Earl K
05-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Heather,

- My suggestion is simply; that we start to "Pay Our Way" .

- & No , I don't know what doing so would actually entail .

Everyone,

- Don't read too much into this suggestion from a political point of view . As an example; in past decades I have helped vote into power provincial governments that many would consider to have been Communist . I have also helped place in power governments that many would consider to be Fascist . The only commonality between the two actions was that in my mind ( & apparently many others ), it was time for a significant change in our approach to governing .

- "Time for a Change" is simply my point of view and what prompted me to start the thread .
- Paying for what we get would be a change .

4313B
05-04-2007, 09:01 AM
- Paying for what we get would be a change .Send a PM to John letting him know so he can make a decision. I'm sure he will provide you with an answer.

Why don't you guys start a little drive to gift John and Ann to show your support?
I think someone started such a drive late last year but it crashed and burned for whatever reason.

Earl K
05-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Why don't you guys start a little drive to gift John and Ann to show your support?

- That's a fine idea, Thanks !

- IMO, 2 or 3 money raising drives a year would be about max ( from this POV ) for the membership. So, a bit a time needs to elapse between the just complted drive and any new efforts to raise money .

Send a PM to John letting him know so he can make a decision. I'm sure he will provide you with an answer.

- I can ask John ( in a PM ) what it costs to host the site , if that's what you mean in the above quote.

JBLnsince1959
05-04-2007, 09:24 AM
The arangements Don has made to to host the site has worked out very well indeed. One of the reasons why we have not had a Forum Colapse for the last 4 years has been due to where the site is hosted. It has also allowed this site to grow without worrying about how much server space we occupy. There are many hidden benefits that we all should be very thankful for.

exactly, very well put....if money IS needed, I'm sure Don, John, Ann and the others will lets us know and then we can raise the issue to the memebers.... So far I've been very impressed with how things things have been handled for years and for everyones' selfless contributions to the site:applaud:

Sounds good to me... Maybe I could throw in a few ancient coins too...:D

sourceoneaudio
05-04-2007, 10:10 AM
- That's a fine idea, Thanks !

- IMO, 2 or 3 money raising drives a year would be about max ( from this POV ) for the membership. So, a bit a time needs to elapse between the just complted drive and any new efforts to raise money .

- I can ask John ( in a PM ) what it costs to host the site , if that's what you mean in the above quote.

If it is run out of his home. Time, effort, software, hardware, knowledge, STRESS, take out, and electricity. Have I left anything out?

We could always do a fund raiser focused on a nice set of JBL's for them. Find out what is in his/her collection, find out what they might want within reason. Then we need someone to front the purchase and seek reimbursement, and give as a gift. ? :dont-know

J/S-S1A :D

Earl K
05-04-2007, 11:09 AM
,,,,,,snip,,,,, Find out what is in his/her collection,,,,snip

- The last awareness that I have of Johns' system(s) is that they included 4343 and 4435 speakers driven by large Macintosh amps .
- I don't know much of anything about Anns' audio system .

- They might well prefer an annual payment if there were funds ( though, I have no idea about any of this ) .

If it is run out of his home. Time, effort, software, hardware, knowledge, STRESS, take out, and electricity. Have I left anything out?

- You might want to run a search for threads started by John to get a feel about his operation ( and some of the costs of the necessary hardware ) .

scott fitlin
05-04-2007, 11:30 AM
As far as Harman funding the site?? We don't want to go there.

Rob:)IMHO, if Harman funded this site, they would want to implement rules about what can and cannot be said. THAT would not be good, I like the ability to speak freely.

The Crown websites forum is a good example of a Harman run site, you CANNOT speak openly about some things. You CANNOT criticize Crown, you cannot openly say something adverse about Crown products. If you do they will let you know about it, and they will remove the posts, and if you continue with adverse talk, they will ban you.

JBL is a great name in audio, and they have over the years produced outstanding products. But, I value our freedom of speech, too!

We are better off as a private forum.

IMHO. :)

Earl K
05-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Getting new web hosting is an entirely different topic than Spam prevention.

I don't see what would be gained.

Nothing.

Hmmm, I might be misreading the message behind these posts, ( like the way I've posted them ) but to be clear;

- I'm not suggesting changing who actually hosts this web-site .

- I am suggesting that the membership start paying John & Ann for the great service that they provide .

hjames
05-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Hmmm, I might be misreading the message behind these posts, ( like the way I've posted them ) but to be clear;

- I'm not suggesting changing who actually hosts this web-site .

- I am suggesting that the membership start paying John & Ann for the great service that they provide .

AH! Then thats a different matter indeed!

But if you want to go that route, folks need to figure out a cost for such an item in the LHS budget, and make sure the budget covers that fee, however you decide to do it.

The recent "Eargle CD" fundraiser netted just over $700 - you can probably only do such a thing 2 or 3 times a year without wearing out the members - and understand that such a constant stream of fundraising (shades of PBS!!) will diminish the likelyhood of periodic non-gifted donations e.g, if you offer treats, people will tend to wait for the treats to give up money. That means the net response changes.

Of course you can sell T shirts and the like - but then your expense goes up (the Eargle CDs were basically a gift - Tshirts wouldn't be)

Lets save the SPAM fighting for another thread

Robh3606
05-04-2007, 12:27 PM
I am suggesting that the membership start paying John & Ann for the great service that they provide

It is John and Anns gift to the Site and all of us here so I can understand the desire to pay it back. I am sure this has already been discussed knowing Don. I feel that this discussion really belongs between Don, Ann and John as they know what transpired when John decided to host us. If we as members decide to do something for them, why not? I think that would be a great! Even if it's just a evening out on us it's something that we can all share in.

hjames
05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Its very interesting that there have been a number of threads on the site lately that debate this and that struture, concept or policy on the site.

Its one thing to suggest something, but quite another to argue passionately over it.

Giskard said it once, but I'll repeat it 'cause it doesn't seem to have been understood by a lot of folks (not bashing, honest).

Lansing Heritage Site (and the Forums) is not a Democracy. We didn't elect anyone to run it, they created it and let us in as guests.
Its their place - so we really should be a lot more polite, respectful and reasonable while we are in their space.

Thats all - its not really something to argue over - its just is.

It is John and Anns gift to the Site and all of us here so I can understand the desire to pay it back. I am sure this has already been discussed knowing Don. I feel that this discussion really belongs between Don, Ann and John.

JBLRaiser
05-04-2007, 03:01 PM
You offer suggestions in one post, then remark it's not our place to make suggestions in the next. You're a hoot, reminds of my friends ex wife. :banghead:

Earl K
05-04-2007, 03:26 PM
It is John and Anns gift to the Site and all of us here so I can understand the desire to pay it back. I am sure this has already been discussed knowing Don. I feel that this discussion really belongs between Don, Ann and John as they know what transpired when John decided to host us. If we as members decide to do something for them, why not? I think that would be a great! Even if it's just a evening out on us it's something that we can all share in.

- Since my ( currently tabled ) suggestion appears to be "out of time & out of synch", I'm shelving the thought and I'm finished with this particular point, for the time being . :p

- The current treasurer might officially offer our hosting benefactors a night on the town ( or something suitably attractive to both John & Ann ), & paid for by LH, ( as suggested by RobH ).
- A $ 500.00 "Honorarium" would be a more suitable "gift" in my opinion .

scott fitlin
05-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Even if it's just a evening out on us it's something that we can all share in.

Rob:)I suggested this to Don last year, maybe two years ago. I agree, I think it would be a really nice gesture to send John and Ann to a really nice restaurant of their choice, in their city, for a great evening of dining and some very good wine.

I am more than willing to contribute to such a gesture.

This is something they could really enjoy and appreciate.

Lets do it. :)

Earl K
05-04-2007, 03:57 PM
I am more than willing to contribute to such a gesture.

This is something they could really enjoy and appreciate.

Lets do it.

- I agree let's just do it , though ;

- From my perspective, we've already contributed.
- The money presently exists in the sites' coffers .
- Monies raised to date are for general expenses ( as far as I'm aware ) and weren't raised for any one specific purpose.

- So ; just spend some of the nest-egg .

scott fitlin
05-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Yes, Earl, we have already contributed to the site, but IMHO, this is a bit different. This is just doing something nice for people in appreciation for what they have provided for us.

:D

Earl K
05-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Yes, Earl, we have already contributed to the site, but IMHO, this is a bit different. This is just doing something nice for people in appreciation for what they have provided for us.

- I disagree with that position / but nevertheless / here's a receipt showing my contribution . This is intended to start the "gifting" process .

scott fitlin
05-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Im going to match your contribution.

This should start the ball rolling!

:D

Earl K
05-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Im going to match your contribution.

This should start the ball rolling!

Good for you Scott ! and Thanks !

glen
05-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi All,

- If so, the membership will need to stepup fund-raising activities ( or pay an annual membership fee based on "true-costs" ) .

This sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
I would trust that Don's relationship with John Nebel is such that he would not allow John's wonderful good will in maintaining the site to be abused.

Many people would be willing to contribute if it was really needed to maintain the site, or simply to express our gratitude for the fine services which we have taken advantage of for many years now.

Sometimes I have concerns about how big the site is getting, especially since I love to upload pictures here, using up lots of server space I'm sure.
But the quality of support for this website as it grown over the years would make me think that it is being managed quite well would make me hesitant to throw a monkey wrench into that machinery no matter how principled or well intentioned.

I'd leave it to Don and John, and save our wellspring of appreciation for whatever action they judge best.

Robh3606
05-04-2007, 07:41 PM
I'd leave it to Don and John, and save our wellspring of appreciation for whatever action they judge best.

Thank you and well said.

Mr. Widget
05-04-2007, 07:48 PM
This sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
:yes:

Earl, what brought on this sudden interest in bringing the subject of money into this space?

If we become too great a burden on John Nebel I would hope he would tell us and we could come up with a workable solution, however since he has been so generous with us it would seem to be an insult to suggest we pay him or move the site to a location that did charge us a hosting fee.

As for discussions about JBL's or Harman's participation in this site... they may visit, but they are not directly involved in any way. If you go to the Klipsch forum which is run by the folks at Klipsch, they have several employees who are tied up moderating and administering that site. They do a very good job and the level of censorship which is higher than here still allows contrary viewpoints about Klipsch products.

Widget

Earl K
05-05-2007, 04:16 AM
Earl, what brought on this sudden interest in bringing the subject of money into this space?

- Since my ( currently tabled ) suggestion appears to be "out of time & out of synch", I'm shelving the thought and I'm finished with this particular point, for the time being .

As I said up in post 20 , I'm finished talking about the original subject ( ie; paying for the present web-hosting services we receive ) .

4313B
05-05-2007, 05:05 AM
As I said up in post 20 , I'm finished talking about the original subject ( ie; paying for the present web-hosting services we receive ) .

:)Ok :)

BMWCCA
05-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Not that us newbies need any more innuendo to actualize our feelings of inadequacy or to make us feel less needed (or wanted), but for the sake of those newbies who actually do have something to contribute, be it $$$ or EE knowledge and the like, or both: Who are Ann and John? If someone unselfishly gives toward others enjoying (and learning from) this site, they should be recognized, commemorated, and memorialized to the assembled masses by something beyond an honorarium. IMHO, of course!
:duck:

4313B
05-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Not that us newbies need any more innuendo to actualize our feelings of inadequacy or to make us feel less needed (or wanted), but for the sake of those newbies who actually do have something to contribute, be it $$$ or EE knowledge and the like, or both:We are actually looking for people with EE knowledge and who actually do have something to contribute. We are painfully aware of the current state. Unfortunately the people we want most, and this has been stated dozens of times before, have the least amount of free time, and the people... nevermind ... Go figure! :rotfl:

John Nebel
05-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Ann and Tom have an Olympus S8R system. Saw that question in this thread.

Pls don't be concerned about hosting, the site is fun for us and it doesn't noticeably use resources. Thank you very much for even considering!

The attached is a pic of part of the machinery running the site, any guesses as to what it is ?

Titanium Dome
05-06-2007, 09:37 AM
RAID? (from the rear with fibrechannel, maybe)

hjames
05-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Half-width blade servers

The attached is a pic of part of the machinery running the site, any guesses as to what it is ?

porschedpm
05-06-2007, 10:18 AM
...The attached is a pic of part of the machinery running the site, any guesses as to what it is ?

It's the connection between Giskard's collective conscious and sub-conscious.

kingjames
05-06-2007, 01:14 PM

Pls don't be concerned about hosting, the site is fun for us and it doesn't noticeably use resources. Thank you very much for even considering!

It's mind boggling,that's what it is. I would like to personally thankyou, John and Ann for the fun we also have on this site.:yes:

loach71
05-06-2007, 01:19 PM
SCSI Fiber channel hard disks or FDDI hubs or fiber ethernet switches-- either options very cool.

JBLRaiser
05-06-2007, 01:56 PM

a lot of wires coming out the back;)

John Nebel
05-06-2007, 03:11 PM
It's a storage server and the one used for this site. The orange cables plug into fiber-channel switches. Below those are the disk controllers, below that another set of switches. At the top are the rear of fans from one of the disk shelves. The disks plug in from the front and are not visible in the photo.

Each quadrant of the cabinet has its own switch and each disk is connected to two switches and each switch to two controllers and each controller to two external SAN switches. The data are all stored twice on alternate groups of disk shelves.

However, one is at the mercy of the devices complex firmware which is now v3.25 and I'm happy to not have used any 1.x or relied on any 2.x releases.

It creates blocks of storage from large groups of disks that the Unix and VMS computers see as simple disks and hopefully reliable disks.

It's bad luck to trust any of this stuff too much!

mikebake
05-06-2007, 07:06 PM
It's the connection between Giskard's collective conscious and sub-conscious.

That was kind of funny.

Ian Mackenzie
05-06-2007, 07:11 PM

I remember it well:).

John is quite passionate about what goes on in the computor room.

Ian

hjames
05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
I remember it well:) .

Ian

ah HA - its the posterior of the Tardis console!!

or is that the Anterior .. dang - always get them confused.

(sorry - just watched the latest Doctor Who "The Lazarus Experiment - so the Tardis was on my mind ...)

glen
05-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the intriguing puzzle and glimpse into the hardware that makes this site possible, you obviously know exactly how to distract our childlike attention spans!
I see that we are in capable hands and I will not be second-guessing the management of this website in the future.
Glad that we can take this opportunity to express our gratitude.
Thank You!

Steve Schell
05-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Thank you very much John for your invaluable service of hosting this site.

Ian Mackenzie
05-07-2007, 01:22 AM
ah HA - its the posterior of the Tardis console!!

or is that the Anterior .. dang - always get them confused

Your being silly.

John's JBL collection is far more intriguing imho.

Boulder is the place to be if you like the great outdoors.

I look forward to returning one day and riding up that big hill on a mountain bike.

Earl K
05-07-2007, 06:14 AM

ThankYou ! John ( and Ann ) for the great service that you perform in hosting this website . :)

ps ;
If we become too great a burden on John Nebel I would hope he would tell us and we could come up with a workable solution, however since he has been so generous with us it would seem to be an insult to suggest we pay him or move the site to a location that did charge us a hosting fee.

Also, please accept my sincere apologies if indeed I did insult you, by publically raising this payment question . :(

JBLRaiser
05-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Earl,
It's got me thinking about my donation. Think I'll double it this year. Thanks , Raiser:)

JBLRaiser
05-07-2007, 08:18 AM
You two are gems. Much thanks for your huge contributions.:cheers:

edgewound
05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
John and Ann,

Your generosity with hosting is most appreciated here. Thanks for all you do in providing this community.:applaud: :)

You make it all sound so easy.....which seems far from the reality of it....for me, anyway.:o:

John Nebel
05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Your being silly.

John's JBL collection is far more intriguing imho.

Boulder is the place to be if you like the great outdoors.

I look forward to returning one day and riding up that big hill on a mountain bike.

Yes, that would be fun.

boputnam
05-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Why don't you guys start a little drive to gift John and Ann to show your support? I think someone started such a drive late last year but it crashed and burned for whatever reason.Yea, that was Scotty, and we nearly had it done, but the timing coincided poorly with undesriable and unrelated occurrences...

I suggested this to Don last year...:yes: An idea whose time will happen, I know it.

- The current treasurer might officially offer our hosting benefactors a night on the town ( or something suitably attractive to both John & Ann )...Hell, I'll host ALL of them, any time if they are ever in San Fran. One must be very shrewd to get the check away from John Nebel in Boulder, I know that...!

But, we were thinking more in the line of ear candy... :hmm:

...The attached is a pic of part of the machinery running the site, any guesses as to what it is ?I think that's new since the last time you poked my head into the racks. Chilly damned place. Just weird... :help:

It's the connection between Giskard's collective conscious and sub-conscious.Yea, Dave that is funny! Woulda been funnier for the Techbot! :rotfl:

JBLnsince1959
05-08-2007, 05:44 AM
Thank you very much John for your invaluable service of hosting this site.

yes, I think we all can be very appreciative for John and Anns' contribution:applaud:

thanks again for everything....

pasadena
05-09-2007, 01:45 AM

Hi John,

That's some serious hardware you have for Web Hosting. Before I turned over to communications a couple of years ago, I was working for a large corporate minig company as a Server Administrator working on these Fibre SAN arrays linked to Multi Terrabyte storage arrays. I think if people new the cost of this hardware, they would appreciate th outlay you have gone through.

Where up-time is critical, you've got to be serious about your harware. Impressive and good stuff.

Thanks for taking the time/your resources and effort to do this for us. Very much appreciated.

Cheers
Pasadena.