PDA

View Full Version : Recone or Refoam??

Andyoz
05-04-2007, 06:17 AM
This must have been dealt with before but I can't find anything...

My LE14H-1's are starting to show signs of the foams giving in.

I can get JBL re-cone kits for £100/ea ($200/ea). What are the advantages (long-term) between doing a full recone and just a refoam?

Earl K
05-04-2007, 06:39 AM
- A recone kit includes a "fresh" up to spec. spider .
- Since spiders also wear out and go soft ( meaning saggy ) / getting a new one is a good thing .
- The "spider" along with the "surround", combine their respective compliances, to form the overall suspension "system" .

:)

ps ; "Spiders" can also be replaced . The necessary labour ( only done by a "pro" ) to remove and install a new one ( around the voice coil ) / makes the purchase of a fully assembled recone kit a bit of a bargain .

Andyoz
05-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks,

Where is the best thread with instructions for re-cones.

I live in an area where access to good technical services are limited and the freight on shipping LE14's around get's expensive.

I just bought some 120Ti's and the owner did an excellent re-cone job himself....I just want to figure our if a (careful) novice can do it successfully.

Andyoz
05-04-2007, 07:14 AM
OK, I think I have solved the problem.

We do some work with a sound system contractor and they have just put me in touch with the company they subcontract their repair work out to. I have just talked to the boss there and he will let me come in for half a day, use their tools and pick their brains to get the job done. He said it's not as scary as people think.

As repayment, I will be giving them some free acoustic consultancy advice as he's got sound insulation issues in his house!!

Titanium Dome
05-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Excellent barter. :bouncy:

Keep us up-to-date on your experience, both on your apprenticeship and the final results.

opimax
05-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Andy,

Recone kits for the 14-1 are hard to find, maybe buy an extra while you can. I have 1 speaker that needs a recone and i can't find a kit for it...

Mark

sourceoneaudio
05-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Andy,
I would re-foam, it is a lot cheaper, and the kits are all over e-bay. If they have not been abused you should be fine. People do it all the time.

These guys have the re-foam kits.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Or talk to Edgewound he can help you.

J/S-S1A :D

Andyoz
05-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Andy,

Recone kits for the 14-1 are hard to find, maybe buy an extra while you can. I have 1 speaker that needs a recone and i can't find a kit for it...

Yes, I may have jumped the gun a bit as the UK supplier only gave me a price a few months ago but I never confirmed they are actually available. I have emailed them to confirm.

Having said that though, this is the same supplier that got me a NEW pair of 108H's (cheap) and I know for a fact that the woofer and mid recone kits in my 120Ti's were bought from the same supplier. They seem to have access to a serious stockpile of spares from Harmon in France. Will keep my fingers crossed anyway.

re. getting a third "spare" recone kit....remember that the L250's run the same woofer. I plan to pick them up either Mon/Tue next week (will post photos).

brudha
05-10-2007, 04:54 PM
- A recone kit includes a "fresh" up to spec. spider .
- Since spiders also wear out and go soft ( meaning saggy ) / getting a new one is a good thing .
- The "spider" along with the "surround", combine their respective compliances, to form the overall suspension "system" .

ps ; "Spiders" can also be replaced . The necessary labour ( only done by a "pro" ) to remove and install a new one ( around the voice coil ) / makes the purchase of a fully assembled recone kit a bit of a bargain .

What do you mean the necessary labor is cost prohibitive? Just brought in LE14H's to the local JBL authorized place to get them refoamed and they suggested replacing the spiders also since there was a slight sag.

He said it was just $10 extra to replace them so I had them go ahead and do it.

$60/driver instead of $50 doesn't seem all that much extra, and it's surely a lot less than a full recone kit.........

sourceoneaudio
05-10-2007, 06:14 PM
What do you mean the necessary labor is cost prohibitive? Just brought in LE14H's to the local JBL authorized place to get them refoamed and they suggested replacing the spiders also since there was a slight sag.

He said it was just $10 extra to replace them so I had them go ahead and do it.

$60/driver instead of $50 doesn't seem all that much extra, and it's surely a lot less than a full recone kit.........

That sounds like a good/great deal. :applaud: It seems like a lot of work, and skills expended to me though for $10.00. I hope it all works out well for you and they do an A++++++ job for you.
Who is doing the work? Can you post a link to their site? :bouncy:

J/S-S1A :blink:

brudha
05-10-2007, 06:36 PM
That sounds like a good/great deal. :applaud: It seems like a lot of work, and skills expended to me though for $10.00. I hope it all works out well for you and they do an A++++++ job for you.
Who is doing the work? Can you post a link to their site? :bouncy:

J/S-S1A :blink:

Midwest Speaker Repair (http://www.midwestspeaker.com/services.htm)