PDA

View Full Version : Compression driver distortion

rich carnese
05-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Over in one of the other forum rooms they were talking about measureable distortion in compression drivers versus ribbons, domes, etc. Even though compression drivers have higher measureable distortion levels, they always sound "cleaner" to me. I dont know if its less power compression, and the headroom(at average listening levels for the home).
I lived for quite some time with a pair of "modified Panasonic Leaf Tweeters" : They had special damping applied. They had very extended response however in terms of sounstage depth and realism, I always prefered a good JBL compression driver with proper horn and crossover.
Test measurements for loudspeakers that really translate to how accurate they are, and how they sound ,I believe,dont really exsist. As has been said here in the forums even some JBL engineers felt that even though the ferrite magnet units measure better, they dont sound as good as their Alnico counterparts. Am I just acclimated? Could be!

Robh3606
05-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Hello Rich

Storm kinda of beat you to it. You want to just jump into that one??

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=166358#post166358

Rob:)

Steve Schell
05-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Rich, I agree with you completely when it comes to the merits of compression drivers. The basic classic designs were done in an era when the task was to fill large spaces with plenty of clean sound from very little amplifier power. Such devices are really loafing at typical hi fi levels, and distortion is very low.

Having lived with compression driver horn systems for years now, I can detect the higher distortion levels and power compression of most any direct radiator setup. Once used to compression driven horns, everything else sounds compressed by comparison and removed from reality in these critical aspects.

I recently had the opportunity to listen to a friend's large horn system in a very large space. Mids were covered by 18 cell horns and dual 1930s RCA field coil compression drivers. Driven by push pull 845 amps the system delivered orchestral and percussion recordings at lifelike volume with phenomenal realism; I've never heard a more conventional audiophile system come anywhere close to this level of performance.

RKLee
05-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Rich, I agree with you completely when it comes to the merits of compression drivers. The basic classic designs were done in an era when the task was to fill large spaces with plenty of clean sound from very little amplifier power. Such devices are really loafing at typical hi fi levels, and distortion is very low.

Having lived with compression driver horn systems for years now, I can detect the higher distortion levels and power compression of most any direct radiator setup. Once used to compression driven horns, everything else sounds compressed by comparison and removed from reality in these critical aspects.

I recently had the opportunity to listen to a friend's large horn system in a very large space. Mids were covered by 18 cell horns and dual 1930s RCA field coil compression drivers. Driven by push pull 845 amps the system delivered orchestral and percussion recordings at lifelike volume with phenomenal realism; I've never heard a more conventional audiophile system come anywhere close to this level of performance.
I agree with you here. I have a home built cabinet consisting of 2 Altec 414-8Bs woofers, 811 horn, 806-8A compression driver, and an EV T350 super tweeter. The setup is triamped. People not even remotely interested in sound noticed how "good " they sounded.

Titanium Dome
05-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Even though compression drivers have higher measureable distortion levels, they always sound "cleaner" to me. I dont know if its less power compression, and the headroom(at average listening levels for the home).

...I always prefered a good JBL compression driver with proper horn and crossover.
Test measurements for loudspeakers that really translate to how accurate they are, and how they sound ,I believe,dont really exsist. As has been said here in the forums even some JBL engineers felt that even though the ferrite magnet units measure better, they dont sound as good as their Alnico counterparts. Am I just acclimated? Could be!

... I've never heard a more conventional audiophile system come anywhere close to this level of performance.

Seems the men from Long Beach love those compression drivers and horns. ;) Those units do exhibit a different sound. I'd describe it more as...

Gotta go now. :uhmmmm:

Steve Schell
05-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Wow, that was a quick getaway, TD!

Titanium Dome
05-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Wow, that was a quick getaway, TD!

Steve

Even though I might have a different opinion, I'd never argue with you. :D