PDA

View Full Version : EV T35 Polarity, need help?

MJP
05-02-2007, 04:51 AM
How can I notice where is the +/- polarity of EV T35?
The units do not mark +/-!
Thank you for your advice:banghead:

Mr. Widget
05-02-2007, 07:58 AM
I haven't used them in years, but I don't remember it being a problem. Maybe someone here has a pair they could take a look at... I don't remember for sure, but aren't the little gaskets under the input terminals color coded?

Widget

grumpy
05-02-2007, 08:25 AM
... color coded gaskets under the input terminals ;)

http://www.oaktreeent.com/EV_Electro-Voice_Speaker_Parts.htm

(scroll about 1/2 way down for some examples in different form factors)

-grumpy

hjames
05-02-2007, 08:33 AM
How can I notice where is the +/- polarity of EV T35?
The units do not mark +/-!
Thank you for your advice:banghead:

I believe you have two speakers for your project. Take a speaker with known polarity markings + and -

take a D cell battery (1.5 volts)
Use it to hook battery + to the + terminal of the speaker.
briefly, touch battery - to the - speaker terminal. Watch which way the speaker cone moves. (does it briefly move in, or out?)

Now go to the T35 you will be using.
Do the same test ... connect battery + to one speaker terminal - and touch battery - to the other speaker terminal. if the cone moved the same way it did for your known speaker, the + lead is on + and the - lead is on -
If the T35 moved backwards from the other, reverse the leads and test again. When it moves the same way the known speaker did - you know + is connected to + and - is connected to -

grumpy
05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Hmm...
might be tough to see...esp. on a T35... plus that's pretty thin wire on that voice coil...
if possible, I'd suggest measuring system frequency reponse and looking at the
crossover area for cancellation (would want to do that with a new design anyway).

-grumpy

hjames
05-02-2007, 09:14 AM
C'mon tell the truth ..
We really want them to toss that EV driver and get some good JBL or Altec Lansing parts instead! :thmbsup:

Hmm...
might be tough to see...esp. on a T35... plus that's pretty thin wire on that voice coil...
if possible, I'd suggest measuring system frequency reponse and looking at the
crossover area for cancellation (would want to do that with a new design anyway).

-grumpy

grumpy
05-02-2007, 09:24 AM
C'mon tell the truth ..
We really want them to toss that EV driver and get some good JBL or Altec Lansing parts instead! :thmbsup:

Well, sure :). Sometimes, you got what you got.

What I'd do in a pinch is just look at the links I posted and pick one that looks
close... wire it that way, then try it the other way and listen again. -grumpy

Actually this should probably be moved out of the Lansing Product areas... General Audio Discussion or Lansing Related Gear (a stretch)

sourceoneaudio
05-02-2007, 09:32 AM
... color coded gaskets under the input terminals ;)

http://www.oaktreeent.com/EV_Electro-Voice_Speaker_Parts.htm

(scroll about 1/2 way down for some examples in different form factors)

-grumpy

Here is the pic Grumpy is talking about. Look at the gasket material under the terminal. (COLOR CODED)

J/S-S1A

MJP
05-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Yes, the color code. I see them now. My poor guess was right, I wire + on the right (if look from the back and can read as normal, I hooked + on the right terminal).
Thanks everone for sharing.:bouncy:
After spending 6 hrs with T35, I would say that I hear improvement in sound as follows:
1) Compare with Altec Horn unit alone, I can feel more detail and ambient around the notes, more bass and more natural in singer voice.
2) Compare with G3 (Aurum Cantas), T35 produced better quality of sound in every aspect.

Strom, not sure that I hear as what you hear?

Storm
05-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Strom, not sure that I hear as what you hear?

What do you mean?

:blink: ....please explain.

Thanks.

-Storm.

MJP
05-02-2007, 11:23 AM
What do you mean?

:blink: ....please explain.

Thanks.

-Storm.

I mean, I hear improve in sound. Bass is more, middle is more smooth and flow, high is long and more sweet. Not sure why Bass is more.
Also, I can feel more ambient and harmonics from the sound.

I used only one Auricap in series soldering on the + speaker line and cross aroud 9Khz to T35.

Storm
05-02-2007, 11:42 AM
When did I say I did not hear any of that?

I was the one saying that my setup is very good. Others in the thread were trying to find better tweeters...

:blink: ...

-Storm.

I mean, I hear improve in sound. Bass is more, middle is more smooth and flow, high is long and more sweet. Not sure why Bass is more.
Also, I can feel more ambient and harmonics from the sound.

I used only one Auricap in series soldering on the + speaker line and cross aroud 9Khz to T35.

MartinV56
05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi, pdfs eV-35, Good lucks,

MJP
05-03-2007, 06:07 AM
MartinV56, noted with many thanks for info. These 2 files are new for me. I downloaded them already.:bouncy: