PDA

View Full Version : Recone kit for 126 A

Tomas M
01-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Hello!

I have just bought a nice complete pair of L 65 Jubal for 66 $ (quite cheap!).

The only problem, except from the foam edge on the woofers (126 A), is that one of the woofer probably need to be reconed. This one has been reconed before and I am afraid that it was not correctly done.

Is it possible to get a new recone kit?

Regards!

Tomas

boputnam
01-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Tomas M
The only problem, except from the foam edge on the woofers (126 A), is that one of the woofer probably need to be reconed. This one has been reconed before and I am afraid that it was not correctly done. Whoa...

First thing I'd do, is gently ease that circular saw outa the top of the cabinet. That will take some repair, boy-howdy... :rotfl:

OK, buckle-in dude, we got some 'splainin' to do. :yes:

First that 126A is a positive transducer. Quite a rarity in these parts, but that don't mean it trades for higher value. Do a Search on "Polarity", and "N65 Network" and see what reveals itself.

The following (thanks, Giskard!! ;) ) has been posted sinfully too much here, but the L65 is, frankly worth it (the nearest Hearthrob Contender is the L1:D:D, but, oh well... ;) ).

You own the first iteration of the L65's (nice!). My notes say the 128H is an "acoustic replacement" for the 126A, but if you go that route, note that you should connect the 128H as GRN to Black LF terminal to maintain JBL factory polarity.

I cannot find a listing for a 126A recone kit. Why do you think one is needed? If just a resurround, then get that kit, grab yourself a Heineken (or two) and go to: Resurround Step-by-Step (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=469&highlight=resurround) and get some resources together.

If, on the other hand, you decide to sell those miserable, incredibly poor condition L65's, well, I can sort you out... :D

GordonW
01-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Working with Giskard, I've determined that pretty much all these JBL 12" woofers (122A, 126A, 128H, 129H) are pretty much dimensionally identical... and as such, a 128H or 128H-1 kit (which is obtainable) can probably be successfully used, to recone a 126A. IIRC, since both of them have about 90 gram moving mass, and identical voice coil dimensions, the kits should sound very similar, if not absolutely identical... and what differences exist, may be addressable by adding a tiny bit of mass (if anything, I believe the 126A probably has slightly higher cone mass than the 128, probably not enough to put it out of spec tho). I'd really bet a good 128H/H-1 kit should put it in good order, no funny business required...

Regards,
Gordon.

Robh3606
01-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Follow the link. Mike has one you might want to give him a call

http://www.vintageaudiosales.com/

Rob:)