PDA

View Full Version : le14a Help

linuxsable
04-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Hello. I own a pair of Lancer 99's that I got from my grandfather years ago. I have a question about the dust caps. Can they be replace easily? On one of my le14a's, the dust cap is dented in.

Is the speaker damaged now? can it be replaced by someone locally?

Any help is really appreciated as I'm a totall newbie.

Take care.

kingjames
04-23-2007, 11:30 PM
welcome, I have pulled some dents in dust caps out with some clear box tape and it works pretty good.Try it you have nothing to lose. I'm not sure if dust caps are avilable for these,I'll let the pro's answer that one.

linuxsable
04-25-2007, 04:09 PM
You just put some shipping tape over the caps to pull it up?

johnaec
04-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Be careful about using tape - it can also rip the cardboard up, (split the outer surface up...). Some have had luck using a vacuum hose, which is also easier to control, (which reminds me - I have a few domes that need this...). Replacing the domes is also not a big deal for competent repairmen.

John

Zilch
04-25-2007, 05:11 PM
There are a variety of ways to unpooch the dust cap, but if you want a professional to handle it, call Audivex here in Berkeley, or your local San Jose reconer:

http://www.jblproservice.com/service/california.html

If the LE14s still have the original surrounds, now yellowish in color, chances are they will need refoaming as well to restore the bass response....

linuxsable
04-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks a lot zilch. They are yellow cones and I've already had them refoamed a few years ago.