PDA

View Full Version : Project 4435 has begun

fotodan
04-19-2007, 05:41 AM
The project has begun. The cases on these have been put thru the mill. Lots of scratches and gouges, with some chuncks gone on many edges. I have thought long and hard about this project, I want to rebuild, but not the same as original. I am not going to be using Walnut veneer, and not really fond of all the black on the front where the bi-raidal is housed. I think the only part of the front I will leave black will be around the name plate and L-pads. Which brings me to the question, are the name plates removed off of these like the foilcals on other speakers (L100's, L65's, etc.)??

grumpy
04-19-2007, 06:49 AM
...same technique. I used a hair dryer and a 4"-wide paint-tool knife thingy
(thin enough to be a bit flexible).

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=160996-995-34647&lpage=none

patience is key, you don't want to bend the "foil"cal (more like plate).

Nice start! :)

-grumpy

hjames
04-19-2007, 06:54 AM
I'm always interested in these restore projects - I gather you are looking to reveneer the cabinets with some kind of wood product - just not the dark walnut finish JBL used in the 70s.
There are a lot of really beautiful wood grains out there - some would look great on cabinets sides that large. Any thoughts to share?

Take lots of photos - there are wonderful projects here already, and yours looks to have great potential as well!

The project has begun. The cases on these have been put thru the mill. Lots of scratches and gouges, with some chuncks gone on many edges. I have thought long and hard about this project, I want to rebuild, but not the same as original. I am not going to be using Walnut veneer, and not really fond of all the black on the front where the bi-radial is housed. I think the only part of the front I will leave black will be around the name plate and L-pads.

kingjames
04-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Fotodan, looks like a lot of work ahead of you.Wish I knew how to do wood work,good luck with those and take your time and by all means post lots of picture's.

fotodan
04-19-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm always interested in these restore projects - I gather you are looking to reveneer the cabinets with some kind of wood product - just not the dark walnut finish JBL used in the 70s.
There are a lot of really beautiful wood grains out there - some would look great on cabinets sides that large. Any thoughts to share?

Take lots of photos - there are wonderful projects here already, and yours looks to have great potential as well!

Veneer showed up today.:applaud: Being a cabinetmaker by trade, I have used many different types of wood, my fav has always been Walnut, Cherry, Birdseye Maple. For this project, I am using Ribboned Mahogany. I rebuilt my turntable plinth out of solid Mahogany last fall, so it will match.

Also, got another big surprise in the mail today...CROSSOVERS have arrived.:applaud: Thank you SaltyAl. Havent even paid for them yet but now to paypal. God I love the forum, and its members...... Now to get back to bodywork.....:D

richluvsound
04-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi,

I'm very interested in the adhesive for the veneer. Have you neutralised the oil on the original veneer?

Rich

fotodan
04-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi,

I'm very interested in the adhesive for the veneer. Have you neutralised the oil on the original veneer?

Rich

I use Better Bond by Titan DX, and have had excellent results with it. I am still doing bondo work on cabs, so it will be a while before I add veneer.

edgewound
04-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Veneer showed up today.:applaud: Being a cabinetmaker by trade, I have used many different types of wood, my fav has always been Walnut, Cherry, Birdseye Maple. For this project, I am using Ribboned Mahogany. I rebuilt my turntable plinth out of solid Mahogany last fall, so it will match.

Sounds like the boxes are in very good hands.;) :)

SMKSoundPro
04-19-2007, 02:05 PM
It looks as if you have a Great shop!!!

Mine's an absolute mess!!!

Scott.

hjames
04-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Your shops are wonderful -
Darn - I really need a garage/workshop!

Working in the backyard when the weather is ok just isn't enough!

I dream of a nice room for a workshop - and tools ... ahh!

... and JBL amps ... and Everest speakers ... and more music ... and ...

Looks lke a Great shop!!!

fotodan
04-19-2007, 02:12 PM
It looks as if you have a Great shop!!!

Mine's an absolute mess!!!

Scott.

Mines just like yours, a mess also, right in the middle of a kitchen cabinet job, cabinets everywhere, and spray booth is stacked full also..:banghead:

We do share the same brand name tools though..:applaud:

SMKSoundPro
04-19-2007, 02:20 PM
I want to be JUST LIKE NORM!!!!

"And don't forget to wear these...safety glasses!" (everybody drink!)

I'm Delta, Porter-Cable, Milwaukee. No Yellow stuff. I know Yellow bought out PenAir. We call it black Monday.

Oh Well! Don't cut your finger off! Lost my left pinky on my Rockwell contractor's saw putting a zero clearance throat plate on. Lisa was standing right next to me! Not Happy. Let me buy a new Unisaw with all of the extras, knowing I will never do that again!

NOW, if they would just move the "caps lock" key, as I keep hitting it with my wedding ring finger! Nine of em. Use em all! Freaks out my nephews!

Good Luck on your Refurb project. Please show the veneer when you can!

Scott.

edgewound
04-19-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm Delta, Porter-Cable, Milwaukee. No Yellow stuff...

Me too....:applaud:

3 phase Rockwell 10" cabinet saw with attached router table. Milwaukee and Porter-Cable plunge routers, Milwaukee jig saw, sander, AC 3/8 power drill and angle drill, 1/2" hammer drill.

Nothing like great tools...JBL included.

Fein Multi-Master is next.

macaroonie
04-19-2007, 04:26 PM
MAKITA :)

SMKSoundPro
04-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Our local family owned hardware and specialty plywood shop is really buying heavy into the Festool line from Germany.

Buy Delta and Porter-Cable while you still can. That will be a whole different "heritage" group forum someday!

Be safe. Please post pix when you can.

Looks Outstanding!!!

Scotty.

ps. Love my Makita impact drivers!!! I have the 12 & 14.4v models. I gave away all of milwaukee cordless drills, except one P-C 1/2" one. The Impact drivers are the stuff!!!

fotodan
04-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Our local family owned hardware and specialty plywood shop is really buying heavy into the Festool line from Germany.

Buy Delta and Porter-Cable while you still can. That will be a whole different "heritage" group forum someday!

Be safe. Please post pix when you can.

Looks Outstanding!!!

Scotty.

ps. Love my Makita impact drivers!!! I have the 12 & 14.4v models. I gave away all of milwaukee cordless drills, except one P-C 1/2" one. The Impact drivers are the stuff!!!

God Scott, dont tell me that. I have way too many toys now the way it is. I will end up in the poor farm if I keep collecting "vintage":banghead:

SMKSoundPro
04-19-2007, 11:16 PM
New, Brand New!

Outstanding Chevy!!!

I really appreciate like-minded craftsmen!

Scotty.

fotodan
04-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Just got out of the paint booth, sprayed fronts and backs black, while waiting for them to dry, I thought I would start cutting veneer for the cases. After all parts are cut, I thought I would do some extra with the base coat of finish I will be using. Photo 1 plain right out of the box, Photo 2 with base coat. Tell me what ya think...

Andyoz
04-20-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm thinking this rebuild is going to be something real special.

fotodan
04-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Being that this is a project, I get to play alittle, (boy do I love to play) I thought on the left, I would go 1 shade darker, and on the right go 2 shades darker, to see what caught my eye. Still havent decided, hell I might end up doing a French Polish to see how that turns out.:banghead:

grumpy
04-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi Dan, if you're taking a poll, I like the left ... at least that's what I'm guessing
I would like, based on what I see on my monitor... :) (nearly useless vs a local
well-lit comparison). Don't forget to poll significant others :D -grumpy

edgewound
04-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi Dan, if you're taking a poll, I like the left ... at least that's what I'm guessing
I would like, based on what I see on my monitor... :) (nearly useless vs a local

Monitor view makes me partial to the center...
Lighter woods are my preference these days, but that'll proably change with the weather.

It's raining hard and pretty cold here today in SoCal.

fotodan
04-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Monitor view makes me partial to the center...
Lighter woods are my preference these days, but that'll proably change with the weather.

It's raining hard and pretty cold here today in SoCal.

Center is kinda the way I am leaning also. Took a shot of the center under natural outdood light and it looks like this.

fotodan
04-20-2007, 01:15 PM

Hey Dave,
your package got mailed out this morning, will PM you later today or this weekend..

Dan

grumpy
04-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Won't this wood tend to get darker with age anyway?
I will admit I've never been a fan of really light tones w/ minimal stain :). -grumpy

(Dan... thanks! I'll keep an eye out for both.)

fotodan
04-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Won't this wood tend to get darker with age anyway?
I will admit I've never been a fan of really light tones w/ minimal stain :). -grumpy

(Dan... thanks! I'll keep an eye out for both.)

I do a 2 stage process with 3 coats each stage. each coat will get a little darker. I am hoping it turns out like my TT I rebuilt last fall, plinth is made from solid mahogany.

grumpy
04-20-2007, 01:46 PM
-that-, I like (TT custom plinth):applaud: -grumpy

hjames
04-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Thats a beautiful thing, Dan - you do awesome work!

I do a 2 stage process with 3 coats each stage. each coat will get a little darker. I am hoping it turns out like my TT I rebuilt last fall, plinth is made from solid mahogany.

SMKSoundPro
04-20-2007, 02:26 PM
In answer to your question:

What do YOU like???

What about WAF?

They're yours. Not "ours."

(I am partial to a little medium walnut watco oil, cured, then three coats of clear laquer, sand, three more sprayed on coats of clear laquer. I use this on oak and birch.) Every species has its own character, Keep playing until something pleases You!!!

All above gentlemen-ly stated.

Scott.

ps. If you are really asking...purple heart veneer with bubinga trim and zebrawood details. Its all veneer. If you don't like it, scrape it off and try again. Live a little!!!

fotodan
04-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Well, this evening wifey and I thought we would spend a couple of hours in the shop installing the mahogany veneer. Worked like a charm, I must admit, it took a little longer doing the veneer strips around the horn panel, not much room between it and the L-pad panel. I am not real fond of all the black on the front of these speakers, and since they will be with me forever now what the hell. Will finish the other case tomorrow and start with the finishing process. Pics to follow..

richluvsound
04-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Me too....:applaud:

3 phase Rockwell 10" cabinet saw with attached router table. Milwaukee and Porter-Cable plunge routers, Milwaukee jig saw, sander, AC 3/8 power drill and angle drill, 1/2" hammer drill.

Nothing like great tools...JBL included.

Fein Multi-Master is next.

Fien make brilliant tools . I use their kit for finishing stainless steel. Have'nt heard anyone mention the Panasonic cordless. Bullet proof,good value And well balanced . The batteries hold their charge better than all the others I've used and i include the over priced Hilti in that judgement. Festool are,nt to bad either . The track system for routing and ripping works very well. Festool or Panasonic to start Heathers collection.:D

Best panel saw ever used " ALTENDORFF" dial in 99.5 mm stand back and
watch the fence move. Tilt is the same.
I am on the wrong continent. All my kindred spirits are over there!:blink:
Rich

Andyoz
04-22-2007, 02:28 AM
Wow, with that finish even I may be able to get them in through the door and past the wife..;)

richluvsound
04-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Think maple ! And start buying the flowers, then the weekend before I deliver them, perhaps a few days in Paris . Even better ,bring her to London , a west-end show, some shopping in Selfridges and then over to mine .I'll do the starving artist routine.You know .."How the world does'nt understand me and how skint I am etc etc" . And Bobs your uncle ,:D the wife will get the check book out for you. Trust me Andy! I know how women work ,Thats why I'm single:cheers:
Rich

jim campbell
04-22-2007, 09:11 AM
I use Better Bond by Titan DX, and have had excellent results with it. I am still doing bondo work on cabs, so it will be a while before I add veneer.did you ever see the cabs a member from australia did in the black piano finish.i recall it being a tad pricey but the end result was stunning.might be worth a look.........

richluvsound
04-22-2007, 09:36 AM
did you ever see the cabs a member from australia did in the black piano finish.i recall it being a tad pricey but the end result was stunning.might be worth a look.........
Jim,
they were pricey.....but , having priced mine for reno the guy was'nt making much, if any. $1000 for recones. $ 1000 for new xovers, and thats if Guido has a sale on new diaphrams $ 600. fil-cals $ 200. Veneer $300 all approx in canuckbucks, and I have'nt even included a nominal wage for my time. . I think dark is great in a large room , but a light colour some how feels less static. The 4435's sound huge as it is . Have a look at the DD66000 in maple and grey, See what you think.
Rich:(

fotodan
04-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Got the other case veneered and applied first coat of oil finish. One more coat of oil, three coats of conversion laquer sprayed on, and I will be ready to start installing all drivers and crossovers. Will start making grilles while doing the conversion laquer. Starting to get real excited now, getting closer, and have never heard the 4435's before. :applaud:

edgewound
04-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Hey Dan....

Those are looking really, really nice.

It's so cool that your wife is into this too.:applaud:

Andyoz
04-23-2007, 12:34 AM
The veneered front baffle completely changes the look of them. Will be interesting to see the horn mounted against that baffle.

hjames
04-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Those speakers are looking real fine!
Thats some gorgeous wood, Dan - I really like where the color is headed!

sourceoneaudio
04-23-2007, 06:49 AM
Dan,
You are very excited about this project that is evident form the qwik input and the progress you have made so far. The veneer work L@@Ks incredible, fantastic job. Those are skills I wished I possessed. When they are done should be a work of art. One thing for sure, with that quality of work they are not loosing value one bit. A+++
I wish I could hear them when completed. :(

J/S-S1A :D

fotodan
04-23-2007, 05:38 PM
The veneered front baffle completely changes the look of them. Will be interesting to see the horn mounted against that baffle.

It does change the looks....:applaud:

johnaec
04-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Nice! :)

John

mech986
04-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Wow Dan!! What a transformation, and inside of a week!! I always thought veneering would take a super long time, but I suppose it shows what can happen with the right experience, tools, and supplies. Norm Abrams doesn't have anything on you (except maybe a bigger shop)!!

With new JBL Blue grilles and the foilcal labels reinstalled, will look sweet. Did the horns need any touch up? I've got some 4425 horns that are pretty scratched and I was thinking of sanding them down and then respray. I thinik the plastic/fiberglass the horn is molded from is not originally black so a paint job would be needed for refinishing?

Regards,

Bart

fotodan
04-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Wow Dan!! What a transformation, and inside of a week!! I always thought veneering would take a super long time, but I suppose it shows what can happen with the right experience, tools, and supplies. Norm Abrams doesn't have anything on you (except maybe a bigger shop)!!

With new JBL Blue grilles and the foilcal labels reinstalled, will look sweet. Did the horns need any touch up? I've got some 4425 horns that are pretty scratched and I was thinking of sanding them down and then respray. I thinik the plastic/fiberglass the horn is molded from is not originally black so a paint job would be needed for refinishing?

Regards,

Bart

My horns have some defects also, and have been thinking on redoing them also. My experience with the plastic/fiberglass it will take a special primer for the paint to bond properly. I have some primer left over that was purchased to repaint a fiberglass hood scoop, thought about giving that a try to see if it works.

As for the grilles, I am brainstorming on that one. I am thinking of following the design of the L100's. Having the wood showing around the grilles with cloth inserts.

Trying to figure out what type of adhesive to use for the name plates. Not sure whether Rubber contact cement would work or to use something else. Anyone have any ideas??

subwoof
04-23-2007, 07:31 PM
About 5 years ago I converted a stripped pair of L220's into a quasi-4430 system for my sister.

I also veneered the panel that the horn mounts to ( of course it was made just for this project ) and the balance worked out just fine.

I felt that flat black was not right for this...

sub

fotodan
04-23-2007, 07:34 PM
About 5 years ago I converted a stripped pair of L220's into a quasi-4430 system for my sister.

I also veneered the panel that the horn mounts to ( of course it was made just for this project ) and the balance worked out just fine.

I felt that flat black was not right for this...

sub

I agree with you sub, just to much flat black for my taste. I will be placing these on each side of a big screen TV, that of course is also flat black. I wanted to break up the black all I could..

jim campbell
04-23-2007, 07:43 PM
About 5 years ago I converted a stripped pair of L220's into a quasi-4430 system what do they sound like?did you replace the passives withe 2235's?what other mods etc?

richluvsound
04-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi Dan,
They look gorgeous:applaud: . I look at mine and feel ashamed....Well done.
Iv'e been trying to figure out how to ramake the horns in wood . It would be a serious amount of work, but they could look stunning . Have you thought about it ? Got any ideas ?
Rich

fotodan
04-24-2007, 02:18 AM
Hi Dan,
They look gorgeous:applaud: . I look at mine and feel ashamed....Well done.
Iv'e been trying to figure out how to ramake the horns in wood . It would be a serious amount of work, but they could look stunning . Have you thought about it ? Got any ideas ?
Rich

Rich, do you know anyone with a CNC machine. Might be able to make solid wood horns that way, might be pretty costly though..

richluvsound
04-24-2007, 04:29 AM
Dan.
dont you think the moisture in solid would be a problem. I was thinking about starting with a laminated block.
Rich

hjames
04-24-2007, 05:38 AM
It does change the looks....:applaud:

That is just a gorgeous statement in wood! mahogany veneer hmmm?
I want my next pair of speakers to have wood finish that looks like that!
Gotta see them again -

fotodan
04-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Dan.
dont you think the moisture in solid would be a problem. I was thinking about starting with a laminated block.
Rich

That would work, in solid wood I was thinking 3 different pieces then glueing into one after designs are complete. Of course it you did it in 2 pieces, you could turn one down on a lathe to correct dimensions, the resaw in half...

jim campbell
04-24-2007, 06:16 AM
so what do you figure for the final bill on these.they look great.its good to see another set rescued

richluvsound
04-24-2007, 06:21 AM
WHEN YOU GONNA FIRE EM UP ?

Rich:applaud:

fotodan
04-24-2007, 06:32 AM
so what do you figure for the final bill on these.they look great.its good to see another set rescued

I guess not knowing the true value of a pair of 4435's I may have gotten a good deal. I know I will keep these for life, I love them.:applaud:

4435's off ebay=$535.00
fuel for pickup = $20.00
Crossovers = $326.05 (Thanks Salty Al )
Veneer = $176.98

Still need grille cloth, not sure what that will run. I hope I didn't do that bad on this deal. They sure do sound different from what I am use to. My JBL's consisted of L100's, 4311B's, L112's, and what I have now consecutive numbered L65A's. I guess I will say bye-bye to the L65's and put them up for sale.

mech986
04-24-2007, 06:32 AM
My horns have some defects also, and have been thinking on redoing them also. My experience with the plastic/fiberglass it will take a special primer for the paint to bond properly. I have some primer left over that was purchased to repaint a fiberglass hood scoop, thought about giving that a try to see if it works.

As for the grilles, I am brainstorming on that one. I am thinking of following the design of the L100's. Having the wood showing around the grilles with cloth inserts.

Thanks for the ideas on the horns. I'll check into it with a local body shop that experience in Fiberglass painting.

As for the grilles, JBL Blue cloth is available from Zilch, contact him directly from LH. Otherwise, I found this info and was meaning to tell you:

Bart

jim campbell
04-24-2007, 06:40 AM
I guess not knowing the true value of a pair of 4435's I may have gotten a good deal. I know I will keep these for life, I love them.:applaud:

4435's off ebay=$535.00
fuel for pickup = $20.00
Crossovers = $326.05 (Thanks Salty Al )
Veneer = $176.98

Still need grille cloth, not sure what that will run. I hope I didn't do that bad on this deal. They sure do sound different from what I am use to. My JBL's consisted of L100's, 4311B's, L112's, and what I have now consecutive numbered L65A's. I guess I will say bye-bye to the L65's and put them up for sale.not enough to chage the fact that you ended up with a super deal.some of these regularly trade for three times that and still need work.im sure that you will probably make a few bucks on the 65 s
as well

Zilch
04-24-2007, 10:26 AM
There's a bunch of posts about making the wood 2344(A) horns here.

I forget who did it, but they're in their avatar.

Once you find that, just search their posts to find the thread(s). :thmbsup:

Zilch
04-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Wasn't it John W?No. Done years ago. Somebody will remember better than me here in a bit, probably....

Ian Mackenzie
04-24-2007, 11:45 AM
http://www.fairhurst.com/jon/speakers/index.html

If you look on ebay there is someone selling wood copies in Europe.

richluvsound
04-24-2007, 12:20 PM
They are beautiful. I think I need a bigger workshop. But really, I think I need to learn more about the electical side before I get to cocky. This JBL thing can really get a grip on a guy or girl.:(
Rich

richluvsound
04-24-2007, 12:24 PM
http://www.fairhurst.com/jon/speakers/index.html

If you look on ebay there is someone selling wood copies in Europe.

Hi Ian ,

I've seen them . They did'nt float my boat though...I Love the new avatar!
Rich

Zilch
04-24-2007, 12:44 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=302

I'm not finding the threads about making them, tho.

Maybe there's somebody else did it? :dont-know

richluvsound
04-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Zilch,
I did a search in my novice way and did'nt find anything either. Would the material dictate the optimum shape ? I don't know for sure, but they look injection moulded in some sort of rigid foam. Is there a program that could model this taking into account the material used ?
Rich
p.s. This seems like thread high-jacking . Should I start a new thread for this topic ?

fotodan
04-24-2007, 03:03 PM
WHEN YOU GONNA FIRE EM UP ?

Just fired them up tonight. All I have to say is WOW...:applaud:
Listening to Queen "A Night at the Opera" Bohemian Rhapsody is KILLER!! I have a few JBL Demonstration albums that will come next. Now to finish off the grilles and finish the entertainment center for the system, and I will be in heaven.. Untill I get the entertainment center finsihed, the 4435's will have to do double duty. I need more room now..:banghead:

mech986
04-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey FotoDan,

Very, Very Nice! Kinda like taking a star running back and putting him in a classy suit.

You might consider a couple things. Maybe space them out a little more if you have the room. Also, consider geting them up a bit, 6-12 inches, as they were designed to be soffit mounted high over recording consoles. Then let us know how they sound.

Very Sweet and great job of restoration/refurbishing.

Regards,

Bart

fotodan
05-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Finally got some time to finish the project 4435. Finished making the grilles, and inserts, and installing the grille cloth to the inserts. It has been very enjoyable process. Now I feel their beauty is not only in the sounds, but also in the looks.

Start Photo, Finished Photos.:applaud:

4313B
05-11-2007, 08:45 PM
:applaud:

mech986
05-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Never realized it till now, with the 2 part looking grilles, that you have made the 4435 into a modern evolution of the L300 - a classy, retro-modern statement in wood and fabrics.

Beautiful!! Would you please share your design and execution for the grilles? We'll need it as I found out the 4435 grilles I thought were available from JBL Pro are NLA.

Regards,

Bart

richluvsound
05-12-2007, 12:43 AM
JBL 4435 at home in a log cabin ,awsome .
Great work Dan.

Robh3606
05-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Those look great! The split grilles breaks them up. They don't look as big that way.

Very Nice!

Rob:applaud:

fotodan
05-17-2007, 04:21 AM
Never realized it till now, with the 2 part looking grilles, that you have made the 4435 into a modern evolution of the L300 - a classy, retro-modern statement in wood and fabrics.

Beautiful!! Would you please share your design and execution for the grilles? We'll need it as I found out the 4435 grilles I thought were available from JBL Pro are NLA.

Regards,

Bart

Bart,
The grilles were pretty basic and straight forward. I had a bunch of cherry from a job I did few years back that I decided I would use up. It was 4/4 X 4 cut down to 1 1/2" wide. Center style was 1" wide to clear the 15's. I assembled the frame using mortise & tenon joints (overkill I know) with corner blocks in each corner to square up frame. Then on the face of the frame I glued 3/8's" thick X 1" wide strips, leaving 1/2" on inside for fabric panels to rest against. Sprayed the back and inside edges with black paint, veneered outside and face of grille panels, drilled mounting holes on back side. For cloth panels, I used 1/4" Baltic Birch. Glued and stapled Velcro to all corner blocks and corners of cloth panel, and that was all it took. I did have to cut a recess above each sub in the frame for frame to clear top of sub when mounted.

JBLRaiser
05-17-2007, 04:58 AM
JBL 4435 at home in a log cabin ,awsome .
Great work Dan.

You may have to re-chink those logs after awhile. Those bad boys will move some air. And hooked to your TV/DVD system. Watch out for those transients.:D

fotodan
05-17-2007, 05:08 AM
You may have to re-chink those logs after awhile. Those bad boys will move some air. And hooked to your TV/DVD system. Watch out for those transients.:D

I must confess, its just log wallpaper that we sell at our store. Sorry to say, there running my 2 channel audio system. Haven't hooked them up to the video system yet. I have noticed, putting 30 watts to them, you can see the screen on the big screen start to move. When everyone said you could feel the "air move", they weren't kidding...:applaud:

jim campbell
05-17-2007, 12:28 PM
say dan.if you were to find a set of those with two left cabs or right for that matter how much work do you think it would be to alter one of them to the correct orientation.since you have just redone a set of these,and beautifully i might add,perhaps your input would be of use to some of our socal bretheren

fotodan
05-17-2007, 02:51 PM
say dan.if you were to find a set of those with two left cabs or right for that matter how much work do you think it would be to alter one of them to the correct orientation.since you have just redone a set of these,and beautifully i might add,perhaps your input would be of use to some of our socal bretheren

Jim,
I had mentioned on the 4435's Ca. thread, that having 2 lefts with all WORKING components, I think if the price was right, buy both, and use one of them as patteren. All you would need to build would be the cabinet. You could use everything in new cabinet from the old, including the bracing if able to remove from old cab without destroying. The L-pad panel and horn panel are removable, so they can be used on new cab without any trouble. Taking time in cutting holes to EXACT measurements in new cab baffle would be the most time consuming. Mine have the center panel inside seperating both sides for the 2234's. Just taking you time it could be done in a matter of a week. Of course it JMHO. I would use same materials that JBL used with originals and 1" thick MDF for front baffle. Dont see that much of a problem doing it that way.. Hope this helped... :)