PDA

View Full Version : JBL L56 Tweeter

troutmask
04-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi. I just purchased a pair of JBL L56 speakers in excellent condition, except for one detail. One of the titanium dome tweeters has a rusted look to it, like some paint has peeled off. Is this something to be concerned about? Has anyone seen this before?

As far as I can tell, it does not sound any different from the other one (which looks fine). I am a bit anal about these things, though, and wonder if I should try to find a replacement.

Thanks!

SMKSoundPro
04-15-2007, 12:06 PM
We have a pair of L56 in our living room that I bought for Lisa when we were first dating. She loves them and we really don't have room for anything larger, so I keep all of the big JBL stuff out in storage, or at the nightclub.

We had 1 of our tweeters popped last year. It was a real surprise. I went on the net and found a diaphram at Orange County Speakers at a cost of $104 each. They showed 2, so I bought both since they are discontinued.

All is fine.

Then, I find some on ebay for $10 for the whole tweeter, and the seller has two. I bought them, also. Lisa not real happy at this point, because she is in charge of our fiscal health.

Bottom line. If you like the L56, search for some replacement parts as you can. I had to recone one woofer, and had the cone kit from 10 years ago. Can't find them anymore. Buy a couple 118 woofers, and 034 tweeters and put them on a shelf.

Sometimes the coating on the tweeter diaphram can flake off if punched in and sucked out. I can't imagine any great audible depreciation.

In a home theatre environment, and when we buy a larger home with a dedicated music/hifi/theatre room, we will use the L56's as the rear channel speakers.

Good Luck, happy listening and keep coming back!

Scott.