PDA

View Full Version : A few L-100 foam ring questions.

SUPERBEE
04-13-2007, 08:31 PM
I recently purchased a pair of replacment foam rings and I was wondering about a couple of things.........

First off the OG foam on my L-100's is not too bad. You can see about 15% is missing or deteroriated but you can also tell it is orignal and mostly there. So I was wondering if I should replace or just keep it?

Second, if I am going to remove the old one what is the best method and or tool for the job?

As always TYIA!

Zilch
04-13-2007, 08:43 PM
The fine wire leads are behind there, Superbee, so if you're gonna replace, you need to remove the foam and probably leave the original self-adhesive backer in place to avoid damaging them. Proceed only with surgical precision to remove the backer, if desired.

SUPERBEE
04-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanx Zilch

I may wait a bit. My foam does not look too bad and I would HATE to screw anything up.

SMKSoundPro
04-13-2007, 09:41 PM
I have done a million of these working at the only JBL recone shop in Alaska for a few years. ('81 - '98)

Gently remove the old foam and adhesive backer taking care not to pull on the build-out wires. They are hair thin, and can be easily broken.

After removing the foam, and cleaning the old sticky residue with some MEK, or even goo-gone, I always place some 3M scotch tape on the aluminum face, under the buildout wires, to act as an insulator, then another piece of tape over the wires.

Peel and stick the foam ring.

Slow and easy wins the race.

Its really very simple!

Scott.

SUPERBEE
04-13-2007, 11:32 PM
SO......

No one is saying keep the original foam even though it looks 85% OK.

SUPERBEE
04-15-2007, 08:57 PM
We got the foam and the old backing off as well. Those new foam things look FANTASTIC!

Thanks to all for your input.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/DSCN4247.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/DSCN4244.JPG

Zilch
04-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Well, don't THOSE look nice now! :thmbsup:

SMKSoundPro
04-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Outstanding!!!

You have now learned a method of refurb that you can share with someone else!

I have stated before that some of these speaker repairing things are NOT rocket science, and yet, someone always writes that they are.

They're just electro-mechanical drivers that need maintenance like anything else.

The women-folk always had a fit when at the wedding reception, I would suggest we slide the cake table out so that the B/G could get behind it to slice/eat and get a good picture of the transaction. I calmly looked at these women-folk and declared, in my best engineer's voice, It is JUST CAKE! it will be OKAY! (Myself with a business partner and Lisa were doing over 300 weddings a year!)

Foam rings, refoam woofers, twisted pair speaker wire vs. 20 ga. zipcord...

Keep it simple and reap the rewards!!!

lovingly sent,

Scott.

ps. You did a great job on your foam rings! Congratulations!!! (turn it up!)

SUPERBEE
04-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Scott

Thanks again. I will be up in L.A. soon helping two of my friends re-do their 4311's and passing on the tip.

KJ Hall
04-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Where do you get these kinds of replacement foam bezel rings? My Altecs have a similar kind of ring around the tweeters but they are made out of what appears to be blackened cork and they are getting pretty dried out. Are cork rings available? I didn't see anything on the Great Plains or Simply Speakers sites. Thanks in advance.

KJ

SUPERBEE
04-17-2007, 09:26 PM
KJ

Unfortunatly I had to go to EEEEEEEEEEBay for those.

Gordzilla
04-17-2007, 09:31 PM
i am ready to learn your knowledge, oh jedi master...

Scott

Thanks again. I will be up in L.A. soon helping two of my friends re-do their 4311's and passing on the tip.

Mr. Widget
04-18-2007, 09:12 PM
KJ

Unfortunatly I had to go to EEEEEEEEEEBay for those.Am I confused or are you saying you bought your foam rings from an eBay auction?

I thought you read the posts here... if you did buy them from an eBay seller that would be an excellent reason to try the search feature here in the future:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=138878

In any event, the replaced foam looks great.

Widget

SUPERBEE
04-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Widget

I DO read the post here and love the SEARCH feature. Unfortunatly when I phoned JBL PRO around January I was told they had discontinued those foam rings. As to why this happened no one seems to know.

Mr. Widget
04-19-2007, 11:37 PM
I got a pair recently... maybe I got yours.:D

With JBL sometimes you have to just keep trying. The availability and pricing is always changing.

Widget

SUPERBEE
04-20-2007, 05:44 PM
I am going to do 3 sets next time I am in LA. At least they can save a few bucks on theirs.

You live, you learn, you learn to drink more.:banghead:

I got a pair recently... maybe I got yours.:D

With JBL sometimes you have to just keep trying. The availability and pricing is always changing.

Widget

Gordzilla
05-01-2007, 10:50 AM
I am going to do 3 sets next time I am in LA. At least they can save a few bucks on theirs.

You live, you learn, you learn to drink more.:banghead:

make that 2 sets, as mine are in great shape. no worries there...

you should come up to los angeles anyway.

stan ray sez hey!