PDA

View Full Version : L7's L5's or XPL140's

kingjames
04-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I love those XPL 140's I just got put don't think I want them for my fronts on my 65 incher.

What do you all think would be good for my fronts? I won a set of L5's a while ago and really liked the way they sounded but was forced to part them out because the cabinets were damaged beyond repair in shipping.

There is a set of L5's close to me and a set of L7's 200 miles from me.I like the side woofer on the L7's but never heard them.

I would even consider a trade for the L7's. I have the original boxes as well. Maybe I'll just put the Xpl140's on ebay and buy the L7's, I might come out cheaper this way.

On the rear's I have a pair of S2's. Any opinion's greatly appreciated.

Titanium Dome
04-13-2007, 04:26 PM
I have L7s, L5s, and XPL160s, similar to XPL140s. In some ways, I think the XPL140s have a better sound than the XPL160s.

Anyway

L7: best bass and excellent HF with the 035TiA; can be a bear to set up correctly as the woofers need space to couple with nothing in between

XPL140: best midrange and excellent HF with the Ti drivers, best MR/HF match to be sure. Not much bottom.

L5: better top to bottom sound integration than XPL140 and easier to set up and use than L7, but not as powerful on the low end as L7

The L5 and L7 both use the 704G and the 708G-1, which can neither be reconed nor refoamed, and when current stock is gone, that's it.

Now, you choose. :p

kingjames
04-13-2007, 04:54 PM
TI Dome, I knew exactly what you were going to say.:D I think maybe I'll go for the L5's.I do love the 140's but they just don't look right at the front of my tv.

opimax
04-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I set my brother up a sub,l7 front, l5 rear and cl505 for center : pretty good :) . Looking back the 7s aren't worth the add'l set up requirements and hassle for home theater. 4 L5 would be better w/good sub in opinion. Trying to get some l1 for center to compare to the cl505 for center duty

Funny part he can't hear or care about the difference...BUT I CAN AND DO!!!

Mark