PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo!! Proud new owner of a pr. of 4435's

fotodan
04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Just won myself a pair of 4435's off e-bay. Hopefully will pick them up this Sunday. I plan on doing a restoration on these bad boys. Also I am not sure if the switch for the external or internal crossover are inside or not (missing in the pics ) so if they're not there may need members help locating some for these....:applaud:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I got them for $535.00....:D

Will post pics of them when I get them home and start rebuilding...

grumpy
04-12-2007, 02:29 PM
well, here's hoping for the best regarding what you find inside & the state of the drivers!
:cheers: -grumpy

fotodan
04-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Seller stated everything works, but you know how that goes. heres the link to them..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110111753929&rd=1&rd=1

John
04-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Hey the pictures look crappy but the price sounds good. I am in Charlotte right now, nice and warm mid 70,s Too bad I am leaving in 30 min's as I am headed up I-77 on my way up to the great white north.:(

fotodan
04-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey the pictures look crappy but the price sounds good. I am in Charlotte right now, nice and warm mid 70,s Too bad I am leaving in 30 min's as I am headed up I-77 on my way up to the great white north.:(

If your coming up 77 you will pass right thru here, I live in Wytheville on I77 & I81 running together..:)

John
04-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes I know. I read your location and saw the ebay auction location as well. Are you paying cash on pick up? I have a pair and am not sure how the bi-amp switch can fall inwards? Make sure you check them out for sound but at that price? It's still not a loss. I could help you with grills if need be.

fotodan
04-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Yes I know. I read your location and saw the ebay auction location as well. Are you paying cash on pick up? I have a pair and am not sure how the bi-amp switch can fall inwards? Make sure you check them out for sound but at that price? It's still not a loss. I could help you with grills if need be.

Yeah will be paying cash, but will want to hear them first. Not sure on the switch either, but I am sure someone here on the forum will be able to help. Drive safe, alot of crazies out there..;)

John
04-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah will be paying cash, but will want to hear them first. Not sure on the switch either, but I am sure someone here on the forum will be able to help. Drive safe, alot of crazies out there..;)

Check the insides before you crank them ,in case someone rewired the internals. Just make sure all voice coils are good and take them. At that price you have a lot of options.:blah:

As far as the Crazies go, they normally do not mess with me. It would be a losing deal for them.;)

subwoof
04-12-2007, 05:13 PM
The switch is a rotary type with a screwdriver adjust so it sits real low to the panel.

Be sure the woofers are the 2234's and figure on new diaphrams because any little rub and it kills the whole sound..:o(

Even after reconing the cones it's still a good deal.

Enjoy the thump..

sub

speakerdave
04-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Looks like a very worthwhile deal on a worthwhile project. Sonically you are probably better off bypassing that switch anyway, so unless you are interested in making them cherry original (a challenge, I think) you won't need it.

David

Andyoz
04-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Quote from eBay advert.."BOTH HAVE HOOKS FOR HANGING"

Where these used in a bar or something? They certainly look well used.

fotodan
04-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Quote from eBay advert.."BOTH HAVE HOOKS FOR HANGING"

Where these used in a bar or something? They certainly look well used.

Not sure yet where they were used at. The hooks for hanging dont bother me, I have ordered to sheets of Walnut veneer for the skins, I am really hoping the 3135 is in good shape, or I will be asking a LOT of questions.

Speakerdave, was not really interested in taking them back to 100% original, but do want them working and sounding the way they were meant to sound.. for the cost of these I couldn't go wrong..;)

sourceoneaudio
04-12-2007, 06:28 PM

I would say the bass vibrations made the nut come loose and it fell inside. L@@ks like you got a great deal. Good restoration project A++++++++ Other members have said these are awesome speakers with the right power, and space to play them in. Make your pants move with air movement!!!!!!!:bouncy:

Enjoy those bad boys.

J/S-S1A :applaud::applaud::applaud:

boputnam
04-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Yea, congrats. The journey has just begun...

Check the insides before you crank them ,in case someone rewired the internals. Absolutely. Make sure any leads with any BLK (lines or solid) are connected to Black speaker posts.

The switch is a rotary type with a screwdriver adjust so it sits real low to the panel.Yea, but that looks funny in the picture. Make sure everything is still there.

Also, IMO the RH woof in the Left cabinet is not stock OEM 2234H. I'm actually not even really sure it's a JBL (looks Gaussian to me, but hard to tell).

If memory serves, that is the "fulll-range" woof (positioned below and in-line with the 2425H) that crosses to the bi-radial at 1kHz. The other woof rolls off at 100Hz. Anyway, the one that looks different is the one likely to have blown if these were overdriven - take a hard look at the rear label on that driver.

fotodan
04-12-2007, 07:07 PM
If memory serves, that is the "fulll-range" woof (positioned below and in-line with the 2425H) that crosses to the bi-radial at 1kHz. The other woof rolls off at 100Hz. Anyway, the one that looks different is the one likely to have blown if these were overdriven - take a hard look at the rear label on that driver.

Bo, I thought the same thing looking at the photos. First thing I am going to do is remove all drivers and check #'s, and see if wiring and 3135 are complete. If thats all okay will start looking for correct drivers for these speakers, along with making them look pretty again...;)

Thanks all members for your help, I am sure I will be asking many, many more questions in the future, along with pics showing my progress..:applaud:

boputnam
04-12-2007, 07:16 PM
...I am sure I will be asking many, many more questions in the future, along with pics showing my progress..:applaud:Yea, do keep us informed!! That is the most fun about this place - watching the evolution. :)

richluvsound
04-13-2007, 02:04 AM
:applaud:
an absolutely brilliant speaker. I listern to mine and wonder why the hell I want 4345's . Bi-amp these and sit down before they knock you down. Maybe think about new C.C xovers . Keep us posted as I'll be refurbing mine when the 4345's are up and running. :blah: Enough waffle from me . Congratulations . Enjoy:D

Rich

hjames
04-13-2007, 03:56 AM
Keep talking amongst yourself ... you guys (and Ian and Bo) and the whole crowd of 434x owners are fine encouragement.
Someday (after I have the crossovers) I'll find a cabinet builder who can work on that side of the project for me, but right now I'm still collecting parts and enjoying what I have, with optimism about the final project (2008 maybe?)

I agree with Rich - BiAmping is a definate plus - you have no idea what your woofers can do until you free them from the passives and the rest of the system!

an absolutely brilliant speaker. I listern to mine and wonder why the hell I want 4345's . Bi-amp these and sit down before they knock you down. Maybe think about new C.C xovers . Keep us posted as I'll be refurbing mine when the 4345's are up and running. :blah: Enough waffle from me . Congratulations . Enjoy:D

Rich

JBLRaiser
04-13-2007, 04:47 AM
Just won myself a pair of 4435's off e-bay. Hopefully will pick them up this Sunday. I plan on doing a restoration on these bad boys. Also I am not sure if the switch for the external or internal crossover are inside or not (missing in the pics ) so if they're not there may need members help locating some for these....:applaud:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I got them for $535.00....:D

Will post pics of them when I get them home and start rebuilding...

You did well. Had I seen them on the Bay, they may have gone higher.:D From what I have read, these are a LH top choice.

fotodan
04-13-2007, 05:04 AM
You did well. Had I seen them on the Bay, they may have gone higher.:D From what I have read, these are a LH top choice.

Thanks, and I am glad you DIDN'T see them.:applaud: I had originaly wanted L300's/4333A's, was watching a pr of L300's last month, but fellow LH member I sold my L100's to was going to bid on them so I backed down from bidding on them, then ran across these and a pr of 4333A's from N.Y. that I was thinking of bidding on, but, kept coming back and looking at the 4435's, and thought what the hell, there a lot closer to me then the 4333A's, and the rest is history. Now I will need to figure out what to do with my L112's, and L65A's. Waiting on Caps and by-pass caps for 65's to get here, so I get them installed.

Andyoz
04-13-2007, 06:09 AM
We will be watching the post-mortem with interest.

Either way you can't lose at that price.

Make sure you post some good photos here.

Chas
04-13-2007, 07:22 AM
an absolutely brilliant speaker. I listern to mine and wonder why the hell I want 4345's .
Rich

Fasten your seatbelt Rich!:p

I like my 4430's too, but the four ways are a total knock-out for me.

Nice catch fotodan, good luck, I look forward to watching the story unfold.

John
04-15-2007, 07:57 PM
I would say the bass vibrations made the nut come loose and it fell inside.

J/S-S1A :applaud::applaud::applaud:

The switch is mounted to the xover board and can not just fall down inside.

Unless the whole board comes unscrewed and falls inward???

Or if some nut job decides he know's better than JBL

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Keep talking amongst yourself ... you guys (and Ian and Bo) and the whole crowd of 434x owners are fine encouragement.
Someday (after I have the crossovers) I'll find a cabinet builder who can work on that side of the project for me, but right now I'm still collecting parts and enjoying what I have, with optimism about the final project (2008 maybe?)

I agree with Rich - BiAmping is a definate plus - you have no idea what your woofers can do until you free them from the passives and the rest of the system!

Ooops wrong thread:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5391&d=1108213145

Ian Mackenzie
04-15-2007, 08:32 PM
A useful and somewhat thoughtful dialogue from the "owners" if such systems.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2311&highlight=4435+crossover