PDA

View Full Version : Everest DD66000 comes to Sweden.

matsj
04-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I´m very happy to say this: Everest DD66000 is coming to Sweden for a session in Helsingborg 28-29 April. Marina Plaza is the place and you need to make a reservation on Malmsjö hifi.

mats

Heinz
04-11-2007, 11:48 AM
I´m very happy to say this: Everest DD66000 is coming to Sweden for a session in Helsingborg 28-29 April. Marina Plaza is the place and you need to make a reservation on Malmsjö hifi.

mats

Reservation on www.malmsjohifi.se (http://www.malmsjohifi.se)

Im there on Saturday 14,00-16,00 h

Se ya....

lfh
04-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up! When will you attend, Mats? I figure we should PM the other Swedes on the forum (Niklas, Pangea, ...).

:bouncy:

BTW, do you know if they'll use a decent room? Marina Plaza is the big hotel in the heart of the city, close to the quay, right?

Regards,
Fredrik

Jan Daugaard
04-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Jeg er der lørdag den 28. april kl. 12-14. Jeg er ganske vist dansker, men bor i København, bare 50 km fra Helsingborg.

matsj
04-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I have make a reservation 14-16 on saturday. I hope we can meet and talk a little. Swedish "SAM" is also going to be there 12-14 on saturday.

I have no idea how the room is, but you are right about the plaze just besides knutpunkten.

mats

Jan Daugaard
04-13-2007, 07:02 AM
How long time did it take before you received the confirmation of your enrolment for the JBL Everest DD66000 listening session in Helsingborg?

Hours, days?

matsj
04-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I haven´t got mine yet.

mats

Jan Daugaard
04-17-2007, 09:41 AM
I received the confirmation (Swedish: reservationsbekräftelse) today that a seat has been reserved for me from 12-14 o'clock on Saturday 28 April.

matsj
04-17-2007, 10:05 AM
I also got mine today, saturday 12-14 so we meet Jan.

mats

lfh
04-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi guys,

unfortunately I won't make it :( I got in touch with Pangea, and he can't attend either. This leaves NN for a potential delegation from Stockholm (I've sent him a PM).

Fredrik
PS
First time visitors to Helsingborg (if any): Don't forget to check out the beautiful modern architecture in the harbor, such as

http://www.helsingborg.se/templates/StandardPage.aspx?id=20968

and

http://www.parapeten.se/welcome/index.html

as well as the view from the fortress

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Helsingborg_Stairs_to_Fortress.jpg

Hoerninger
04-25-2007, 06:19 AM
First time visitors to Helsingborg (if any):

Thank you for the tips. After so many years it is just like a first time visit.

Heinz
04-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Thank you for the tips. After so many years it is just like a first time visit.

Peter!! Will you be there on saturday ??

/ Heinz

Hoerninger
04-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Will you be there on saturday ??

Hej,

I have convinced my wife that we take some free days.
So we will arrive in Malmö on saturday afternoon coming from northern Germany.
We are invited for Marina Plaza at "Söndagen klockan 11.00 till 13.00".

Hoerninger
04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I was fortunate to get an invitation by Malmsjö HiFi (Malmö, Sweden) to listen to these speakers. I can only give some impressions. It was not a real test session, neither did I know all the the music nor did I know much about the room with my listening position. It was a two hours session with a pause in the middle, but some fatique was inevitable.

Nevertheless it was a great joy to listen to these speakers.

It started with the Array 1400. We, the listeners, were guided by a JBL representant from Sweden as far as I have understood. We made an acoustical journey through the development of recording techniques with quite a few of well known examples. It started with Nat King Cole with a 1936 session. For me it was one of the most impressive demonstrations this day. What a liveliness and presence! Sometimes I asked myself, is this speaker without the flaws of so many others? I questioned because the reproduction of some pieces of music I did not like as a whole. But it had been the recordings. My final impression was, that the Array 1400 could deliver sound quality whatever the recording offered. Another piece of music I liked very much, I have never heard it in such a beautiful way before, "True Love Ways" by Buddy Holly.

The DD66000 we heard with carefully selected pieces of music, bad recordings were not an issue. The new Everest plays music without attracting attention. It was always very harmonic in a way I have never heard before with speakers. Recording with voices accompanied with acoustic instruments came so natural, it was a joy. I remember pretty well a tibetanian music with many percussive elements. It seemed trancending the speakers and guiding us into a room far away.

One aspect concerning the DD66000 I want to add, I can't remember anyone mentioned it before. The physical dimensions are huge, I had not expected it in such a way standing in front of them. I have always thought that they could fit my living room (hypothetical :p ) without dominating. Surprisingly my wife said, she liked the Array 1400 very much ... :hmm:
At the end of the session we had the chance to ask for special music. I would have liked to listen to some "full orchestra" sounds.

For this session I had ordered two CDs some days before, but unfortunately they did not arrive in time. But I want to mention them here:
1. "Also sprach Zarathustra" by Richard Strauss
Chicago Symphonie Orchestra conducted by Fritz Reiner
stereo recording 1954 (!), living stereo SACD rereleased 2004
2. "Pictures of an Exhibition" by Moussorgski
The Cleveland Orchestra conducted by Lorin Maazel
TELARC 1979

Besides the music Sweden presented itself in a very sunny springlike way at the end of April.

4313B
04-30-2007, 04:39 PM
:)

lfh
05-01-2007, 04:36 AM
Hi Peter,

many thanks for the report!

It was not a real test session, neither did I know all the the music nor did I know much about the room with my listening position. It was a two hours session with a pause in the middle, but some fatique was inevitable.

About what size was the room? Was it "live" or "dead"? What was the listening distance? How many persons listened during one session? Did they play (too) loud?

We, the listeners, were guided by a JBL representant from Sweden as far as I have understood. We made an acoustical journey through the development of recording techniques with quite a few of well known examples. It started with Nat King Cole with a 1936 session.

That's a neat idea to do a brief historical overview! I figure many are not aware of how good old recordings can often sound. (I listen a lot to late 50:s and early 60:s jazz, and sometimes the "sound" per se makes me smile.)

My final impression was, that the Array 1400 could deliver sound quality whatever the recording offered.
/.../
Surprisingly my wife said, she liked the Array 1400 very much ... :hmm:

I guess it has been mentioned here before, but Swedish Hi-Fi press have been very positive about the Project Array. That the WAF is high is news to me, though. Of course, compared to the Everests, they're small budget speakers :)

The new Everest plays music without attracting attention. It was always very harmonic in a way I have never heard before with speakers.

I bet! :bouncy: (I hope they come to Stockholm (or Oslo).)

At the end of the session we had the chance to ask for special music. I would have liked to listen to some "full orchestra" sounds.

A pity you didn't get your records in time. Did someone else bring symphonic music?

Besides the music Sweden presented itself in a very sunny springlike way at the end of April.

I'm glad "we" took good care of our visitors.

Fredrik

Mr. Widget
05-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi Peter,

many thanks for the report!:bouncy:

Yes, Thanks from over here too!

My wife and I heard and saw them in January... her reaction was also far from positive due to their size. Unfortunately they were not showing the Array Series so I didn't get a chance to take her pulse on them.

...but what the heck, if I could afford the DD66000s, then I could probably afford to build a proper listening room for them and WAF just wouldn't matter. :)

Widget

4313B
05-01-2007, 08:31 AM
...but what the heck, if I could afford the DD66000s, then I could probably afford to build a proper listening room for them and WAF just wouldn't matter. :)Exactly. There comes a point where the wife has so much of her own money to play with and so much room in the household to realize her own decorating schemes that your choice of loudspeakers simply isn't an issue any longer.

grumpy
05-01-2007, 08:33 AM
when I get there, I'll be sure to let y'all know ;)

-grumpy

4313B
05-01-2007, 08:54 AM
I guess it has been mentioned here before, but Swedish Hi-Fi press have been very positive about the Project Array. That the WAF is high is news to me, though. Of course, compared to the Everests, they're small budget speakers :)The performance of the Array Series as been a real hit worldwide. Japan can't get past the visual aspects though so the plan is to introduce a replacement series (at the same price points) that incorporate all direct radiators instead. Something along the lines of an enhanced Performance Series. Naturally all this could change and never come to pass but it's nice to hear of future plans.

Titanium Dome
05-01-2007, 08:58 AM
when I get there, I'll be sure to let y'all know ;)

-grumpy

I'll tell you how I got part-way there. The OL went back to MI, and we got divorced.

:dancin:

Then I hooked up with a nice, younger woman who's not interested in getting married.

:banana:

Now I'm working on the money part. I just have to find the right speaker that's actually available.

Did the distributor in Sweden indicate availability of the Everest IIs? How long of a wait to get them if one had the money?

sourceoneaudio
05-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Exactly. There comes a point where the wife has so much of her own money to play with and so much room in the household to realize her own decorating schemes that your choice of loudspeakers simply isn't an issue any longer.

We all need our own room to do what we want to do in, from an audio standpoint/2 channel room. Home Theater Room, the wives can help decorate and make it visually appealing to company, but we always have the final say when it comes to gear/speaker arrays in that room. The final approval is when you sit your better half down for a session and the "WOW" factor comes in then they understand. :bouncy:

J/S-S1A :blink:

hjames
05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
One of my favorite sayings (rarely said, but always on the tip of your tongue)

"I wish we could change the laws of physics just for you, but ..."

I have said it to marketing teams at various companies I worked at, but, of course, if you said it at home you'd probably sleep on the sofa that night ...

4313B
05-01-2007, 10:19 AM
The Everest II demonstrates that a 9 cu ft volume doesn't have to look like a 4345 or 4355.

I want to see some of these decorators on HGTV integrate them into some rooms.

JBLnsince1959
05-01-2007, 11:14 AM
I want to see some of these decorators on HGTV integrate them into some rooms.

Should be no problem, maybe they could come with decorative plant holders on the side.;)

:bouncy:

build a proper listening room for them and WAF just wouldn't matter. :)

Widget

The downstairs is MY room for that..the rule was originally...Honey..you can have the entire house BUT the downstairs is MINE ( you know..what happens downstairs STAYS downstairs)..wishful thinking..it's still MY room BUT I have to put up with the occasional "comments"

Anyway..thanks for the reviews....

Hoerninger
05-01-2007, 11:47 AM
About what size was the room? Was it "live" or "dead"? What was the listening distance? How many persons listened during one session? Did they play (too) loud?

Hi Fredrik,
in fact I did not care very much for the room because I joined the session completely unprepared.

On the Marina Plazas web site (http://elite.se/hotell/helsingborg/marina/konferens.htm) they say the room "Helsingör" has 70 m*m capable of 40 seats when used in rows with tables. The dimensions were round about 7 m x 10 m. May be we were 25 listeners on chairs in the middle of the room (no tables). The speakers were placed at two well marked places with quite a distance to the walls. The room had no extra preparation as far as I could see, simply a conference room - just fine.

For a two hours session it was very loud, that is our opinion. Before the session they played some background music, this was the time where my wife got convinced!

I did not say that the WAF is high in general. But I would not dare to stop my wife in this aspect :D . I will see what will happen, it could be the start of ... ;)

No one else had some own music. But the moderator was so kind to play a violin concert (Mozart?) which gave some good impressions.

@TiDome
During the official part it has not been talked about delivery. (But my Swedish is very rudimentary, nearly no practice.)

lfh
05-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Japan can't get past the visual aspects though so the plan is to introduce a replacement series (at the same price points) that incorporate all direct radiators instead.

Is it the "443x syndrome" again? I really hope not (one would have expected the society to have made some progress in this respect since the 80:s).

lfh
05-01-2007, 12:14 PM
For a two hours session it was very loud, that is our opinion.

Did you let them know you thought they played too loud, such that they hopefully can adjust a bit until next time? E.g. they could play at comfortable levels (ask the audience!) during the demo, and offer an optional SPL show-off for the loud crowd afterwards.

Thanks for the room specs (I´m a bit obsessed with room acoustics these days).

4313B
05-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm not really sure what exactly, I just heard they aren't real fired up about the Array Series from a visual standpoint.

Hoerninger
05-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Did you let them know you thought they played too loud, such that they hopefully can adjust a bit until next time?

I did not want to ask for a different level, the other listeners did not say anything. But my impression has been that the moderator is open for suggestions.

BTW the playback was adjusted for each piece of music and often the level was even readjusted. It did not run automatically.

Titanium Dome
05-01-2007, 01:20 PM
The performance of the Array Series as been a real hit worldwide. Japan can't get past the visual aspects though so the plan is to introduce a replacement series (at the same price points) that incorporate all direct radiators instead. Something along the lines of an enhanced Performance Series. Naturally all this could change and never come to pass but it's nice to hear of future plans.

Is it the "443x syndrome" again? I really hope not (one would have expected the society to have made some progress in this respect since the 80:s).

It's funny how we see different things when we read. I didn't even remember most of the first two sentences of Giskard's post, but the third one stuck in my mind.

I'd love to see that come to pass, although the new Revel Ultima2 Studio and Salon speakers come to mind (but without a bass driver like an LE14H-3).

lfh
05-01-2007, 01:47 PM
It's funny how we see different things when we read. I didn't even remember most of the first two sentences of Giskard's post, but the third one stuck in my mind.

Indeed -- I quickly read and forgot the direct radiator part ;)

MJC
05-01-2007, 04:25 PM
The downstairs is MY room for that..the rule was originally...Honey..you can have the entire house BUT the downstairs is MINE ( you know..what happens downstairs STAYS downstairs)..wishful thinking..it's still MY room BUT I have to put up with the occasional "comments"

Anyway..thanks for the reviews....
My whole house is MY ROOM, got rid the the wife years ago.
But seriously, how big of a room is needed for the Everest?
I know the 250Ti need a fairly large room to sound good. Where as the smaller L212 can play in any room.

4313B
05-01-2007, 04:28 PM
But seriously, how big of a room is needed for the Everest?It doesn't need as big a room as the 250Ti to sound really good. It will sound good in smaller rooms. I'm running the E2 bottom end in a 15 x 24 right now and it is fascinating.

MJC
05-01-2007, 04:32 PM
The performance of the Array Series as been a real hit worldwide. Japan can't get past the visual aspects though so the plan is to introduce a replacement series (at the same price points) that incorporate all direct radiators instead. Something along the lines of an enhanced Performance Series. Naturally all this could change and never come to pass but it's nice to hear of future plans.
How the hell will they get direct radiators to sound like horns?
The Everest, from what I've read, doesn't sound like horns, but the Everest is a breed of its own.

4313B
05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
How the hell will they get direct radiators to sound like horns?They won't. And they don't have to. They already have the horn market sewn up in Japan. Evidently they have some latitude to experiment and try new products.

MJC
05-01-2007, 04:37 PM
It doesn't need as big a room as the 250Ti to sound really good. It will sound good in smaller rooms. I'm running the E2 bottom end in a 15 x 24 right now and it is fascinating.
Lets see, if I sell the house, move farther out of town, put up a double wide, I should have enough money for a pair of Everest.
Some food for thought.
Too bad the housing market, around here, is so bad right now.

4313B
05-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Too bad the housing market, around here, is so bad right now.Yep. I'm pretty cranky over that whole thing.

Titanium Dome
05-01-2007, 05:50 PM
How the hell will they get direct radiators to sound like horns?

Why would they want to? :spin:

They already have the Array Series for that.

It'd be nice to have a series of direct radiators above the Performance Series. Apparently Revel thought so; perhaps just close Revel down in the reorg and let Greg Timbers make some righteous JBLs out of those Ultima2s. :smsex: Oh yeah.

sourceoneaudio
05-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Too bad the housing market, around here, is so bad right now.

We have lost over 100k in equity here in AZ. on our home in one year, talk about cranky!!!!:banghead:

J/S-S1A :barf:

MJC
05-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Why would they want to? :spin:

They already have the Array Series for that.

It'd be nice to have a series of direct radiators above the Performance Series. Apparently Revel thought so; perhaps just close Revel down in the reorg and let Greg Timbers make some righteous JBLs out of those Ultima2s. :smsex: Oh yeah.
I took Giskard's comment as meaning, in Japan they like the sound of the Array but not the orientation of the horns.
If you like the Revels, just buy them.
One of these days I'll have to get over to Squaw Valley, there is a dealer there that sells Revels. I've never heard them.

Titanium Dome
05-01-2007, 08:27 PM
I took Giskard's comment as meaning, in Japan they like the sound of the Array but not the orientation of the horns.
If you like the Revels, just buy them.
One of these days I'll have to get over to Squaw Valley, there is a dealer there that sells Revels. I've never heard them.

I'm still waiting for the Ultima2 Salons to be available for audition. Announced last fall, available...?

It's easier to hear the Everest II. At least we have members who can assert that they exist. Not so with the Ultima2s.

merlin
05-02-2007, 02:59 PM
It doesn't need as big a room as the 250Ti to sound really good. It will sound good in smaller rooms. I'm running the E2 bottom end in a 15 x 24 right now and it is fascinating.

And I might add that in the larger rooms I have heard the Everest in, the bass has been highly problematic and really let the speaker down. Sorry to be a dissenter, but I'd love to hear the speaker working as a cohesive whole.

4313B
05-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Oh I can see where one could end up with a really poor bottom end response. It's just the opposite of loading the response of something like a 4345 up in a corner.

merlin
05-02-2007, 03:34 PM
No - every time I heard them the bottom end was slow and ponderous in comparison with the 476be - fat too - causing a rather disjointed presentation with non audiophool music. The timing simply wasn't there - that rythmnic snap we Brits take for granted.

I am sure it was a room/setup issue -although we had the same impression in three seperate rooms. It was disappointing for me - I really wanted to love the damn things. They look too damn sexy for their own good.

4313B
05-02-2007, 05:04 PM
No - every time I heard them the bottom end was slow and ponderous in comparison with the 476be - fat too - causing a rather disjointed presentation with non audiophool music. The timing simply wasn't there - that rythmnic snap we Brits take for granted.Bizarre.

merlin
05-03-2007, 12:21 AM
My thoughts too. I'll hopefully get the chance to hear them sounding more cohesive in the future - getting to hear them outside of the Far East isn't easy though.

I flew out to Japan in the real expectation that I might have to remortgage but came back wanting a pair of E2's that sounded like Westlake towers. I'm going to have to try that E2 bottom end here at home at some point I suspect.

pangea
01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
The Everest DD66000, recently landed in Stockholm and yes, I went there for a chance to listen.

Perhaps my expectations were to high, I don't know, but anyways, I was deeply disapointed.
I mean, for that scalper price, I'd expect them to deliver sufficiently, all the way down to the edge of human hearing. But not only was I dissappointed at the low end, the music was also somewhat lifeless. Ok, that could possibly be accounted to the anechoic room, but never the less, dissappointing. :(

I talked to the manager and told him what I thoght and also suggested that there was something missing in the HF region.
I had some CD's with me and played among others, a song by the late Chris Jones, where there are som crickets in the background in the left channel, which I have no problem hearing on my speakers.

At that time, I think the manager was a bit irritated of my comments and then he said, "perhaps you hear things, that no one else can hear",... abit rude, I wouldn't you say.

But my friend that was with me, confirmed that my old 2441 with ti dia's from a 2451, had no problems with the detailing all instuments, as well as the crickets.

Then the manager dived down to x-overpanel and after som tweaking, the crickets appeared.
But don't think he appologised for his rude comments,... no he just left the room and I didn't bother argueing, whether the 2441 was as good as the one in the Everest, or not. In his mind, there was not a chance that the 2441 could be as good as in the Everest.

BR
Roland

lfh
01-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Roland,

I'm very sorry to hear that the representative (someone from Harman Consumer Scandinavia?) didn't act respectfully, and that the system apparently wasn't setup properly :(

Where were they demoed? At Audio Concept? I hope there's still a chance to hear them before they continue the tour.

Regards,
Fredrik

PS
The folks selling the JBL pro stuff (Septon) are very nice: We've had 7 monitors an one sub on loan several weeks now for evaluation.

pangea
01-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi Roland,

I'm very sorry to hear that the representative (someone from Harman Consumer Scandinavia?) didn't act respectfully, and that the system apparently wasn't setup properly :(

Where were they demoed? At Audio Concept? I hope there's still a chance to hear them before they continue the tour.

Regards,
Fredrik

PS
The folks selling the JBL pro stuff (Septon) are very nice: We've had 7 monitors an one sub on loan several weeks now for evaluation.

Hi Fredrik!

It was one of the two, working at Audio Concept, I think it was the Norwegian guy.
But I imagine, that they must believe that the drivers of the Everest, are very much better, than my old "surplus" drivers... I mean considering the astronomical price difference there just has to be a huge sonic difference, right!?
Who would otherwise spend 66 000 $, if there is no apparent noticeable difference???

One might even question their competence, since it took a "troll" from the deep forest, to make them aware that the speakers weren't set up properly.

I agree that the JBL personnel at Septon probably wouldn't have dissed me like that, but who knows for sure, when there are always profits to be made...

BR
Roland

PS: I don't know if they are still in Stockholm. If they are gone, don't be too upset. If you expect to feel the walls rumbling and feel the the horse kicking you in the chest, you need to seek elswhere. It simply wasn't there in the Everest. To me it was dull and lifeless, even if it partly is to be blamed on the room. DS

PPS: God fortsättning! DDS