PDA

View Full Version : Siegmund JBL D130 guitar cabinet

meestro
04-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the correct section of the forums, so feel free to move it to its proper place if that be the case.

http://www.siegmundguitars.com/images/MikeCsm.jpg

I recently picked up this 1x15 cabinet I had built by the master luthier Chris Siegmund. I love his guitar and amp work, and knew he'd make a wonderful cabinet for my early Lansing D130.

It's comprised of a solid quartersawn/ribbon mahogany...the front and rear baffles are birch ply, and the front has a ribbon mahogany veneer. Flame maple piping around the inner edge. natural cane grill cloth. Removable casters w/ feet.

I decided against a handle, as it took away from the beauty of this beast. With the casters, and light weight, a handle isn't even necessary.

I use it with a Siegmund Midnight Blues (low powered tranny, octal v1 preamp tube). You can see it as the 'Octal Custom' on his website:

http://www.siegmundguitars.com

It sounds absolutely gorgeous. The resonance of the mahogany, is amazing....semi-open back w/ a circle cutout.

johnaec
04-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Nice! (I also used to build custom guitars..)

John

meestro
04-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Good deal! Any examples of your work? I always love checking out custom stuff.

speakerdave
04-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Nice, very nice! Thanks for bringing that to the forums, although it's hard to judge whether this should be in DIY or Marketplace.

David

meestro
04-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Well, I didn't build it myself, and it's not for sale...so I don't think DIY or Marketplace would apply.

Cool tidbit of news, I was just informed by Chris Siegmund that Vintage Guitar chose for it to be in an upcoming issue....They also posted it online under the readers gallery:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/gallery/details.asp?id=621&firstTopic=1

speakerdave
04-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, I didn't build it myself, and it's not for sale...so I don't think DIY or Marketplace would apply.

Cool tidbit of news, I was just informed by Chris Siegmund that Vintage Guitar chose for it to be in an upcoming issue....They also posted it online under the readers gallery:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/gallery/details.asp?id=621&firstTopic=1

Yeah, but it is a plug for Chris Siegmund's business (now times two). That's OK; it just should be in Marketplace.

David

meestro
04-11-2007, 02:47 PM
? Not sure I follow the logic. I don't work for the guy, I'm a customer just as I am a JBL customer, and I'm certainly not selling it.

According to the Marketplace's description: "Notices of items for sale, auction or wanted for Lansing products only"

'Only' would exclude this posting, would it not?

speakerdave
04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
? Not sure I follow the logic. I don't work for the guy, I'm a customer just as I am a JBL customer, and I'm certainly not selling it.

According to the Marketplace's description: "Notices of items for sale, auction or wanted for Lansing products only"

'Only' would exclude this posting, would it not?

Actually, I was thinking General Marketplace, the next block down. But now that you mention it, maybe DIY would be better since it is kinda homemade lookin'. Even though you didn't make it, Chris Siegmund made it his own self.

Besides, my point is that you are promoting someone's commercial enterprise, since you never posted before for any other reason. That would be more appropriate in General Marketplace. Again, it's not a problem; it's just that putting it in General Marketplace would be more up front. Being up front is good.

Also, I wasn't really tryin' to engage you in conversation about it. I'd prefer to prod one of the Moderators. You can't move the thread; the Moderator's gotta do it, if he cares to.

David

meestro
04-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Actually, I was thinking General Marketplace, the next block down. But now that you mention it, maybe DIY would be better since it is kinda homemade lookin'. Even though you didn't make it, Chris Siegmund made it his own self.

Besides, my point is that you are promoting someone's commercial enterprise, since you never posted before for any other reason. That would be more appropriate in General Marketplace. Again, it's not a problem; it's just that putting it in General Marketplace would be more up front. Being up front is good.

Also, I wasn't really tryin' to engage you in conversation about it. I'd prefer to prod one of the Moderators. You can't move the thread; the Moderator's gotta do it, if he cares to.

David

? I'm still confused. I indeed HAVE posted before. Chris Siegmund makes guitar amps, guitars, cabs, pedals, etc. Not really a DIY "homemade looking", more of a 1940s hi-fi box, I'd say.

I'm not out to promote anything or anyone, I'm showing my use of an old D130....I thought that's what these forums were here for?

Up front? With what?

speakerdave
04-11-2007, 07:22 PM
? I'm still confused. . . .

. . . . Not really a DIY "homemade looking", more of a 1940s hi-fi box, I'd say. . . .

Ya, maybe that's it.