PDA

View Full Version : I think I want Altec 19s.

hello9821
04-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I was wondering what market value is for these in Califiornia. Depending on the average price, I would consider selling my L65 Jubals for them if they are a big improvement. I was also wondering how these will sound in a small room, as my setup is in my 12' x 11' bedroom because I'm 16 and my mom doesn't like all the speakers I drag home, and doesn't want a dedicated listening room. sorry about all the rambling, and thanks in advance for any help.

hjames
04-07-2007, 06:16 PM
I was wondering what market value is for these in Califiornia. Depending on the average price, I would consider selling my L65 Jubals for them if they are a big improvement. I was also wondering how these will sound in a small room, as my setup is in my 12' x 11' bedroom because I'm 16 and my mom doesn't like all the speakers I drag home, and doesn't want a dedicated listening room. sorry about all the rambling, and thanks in advance for any help.

Well - it seems like Model 19s have gotten kinda desirable these days, and - they are kinda BIG. You just might want to hold onto those L65s a bit longer

Zilch
04-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I was wondering what market value is for these in Califiornia. Depending on the average price, I would consider selling my L65 Jubals for them if they are a big improvement.$1000 to $1500.

You are not paying attention. :banghead:

You can get better two-way performance for significantly less money in a much more "manageable" package, DIY....

Gary L
04-07-2007, 06:44 PM
I have to agree with Heather on this one.

Not because there is any thing wrong with 19s but given the size of your room, even if you are plastered to the opposing wall you are still less then 10 feet away from the horns.
19s are huge speakers and they deserve and appreciate some room to do their magic. I like mine best if I can get about 18-20 feet away as the horns are beginning to meld together and sound best this way.

Also, if your Mom is already on your case about all your speakers, the 19s are sure to blow a fuse in her. You will be way better off waiting until you have a place of your own and getting them before you get married. 19s and speakers in this size catagory don't have a great track record as far as WAF (Wife Appeal Factor).

To answer your question, I have seen 19s on the left coast go for between $800- $2000 depending on condition and a number of other factors. I think they would win a shoot out over the L 65s with room to spare.

If I was 16 and had some extra cash I think I might be scouting for all the components when I see a good bargin for the woofers, XOs or Horns/drivers. Buy them at good prices, have them all refurbished at GPA and stash them away for later. I don't know if they still offer wood shop in HS these days but a set of great 19 cabinets would be a fantastic project for sure in your senior year. All the info is here and the plans can be found at Jeff Markwarts site or even in some threads here.

Gary

Mr. Widget
04-07-2007, 10:35 PM
I think I want Altec 19s.

I was wondering what market value is for these in Califiornia. Depending on the average price, I would consider selling my L65 Jubals for them if they are a big improvement.You know, that is very subjective. You may like the L65 more than the 19 or you may prefer the sound of the 19s. You really won't know until you compare them. I wouldn't say that either one was clearly superior... that said, the Model 19 will clearly get louder and do so with less watts.

If maximum SPL is your thing, the Model 19 will kick your L65's ass... If maximum SPLs are a deciding factor for you then you can get a pair of speakers that are virtually equally sensitive to the 19s in a much smaller package in the guise of a JBL 030 system. This system is found in quite a few of the vintage JBL cabinets from the '60s and even into the early '70s or you could build a simple pair of cabinets for them. The system is comprised of a pair of D130 woofers (2135s or K130s will also work) and a pair of 075 ring radiators with N2400 networks.

I'd expect you to be able to pick up the components or complete systems (several models were available including the Harkness and Baron) for about half the price of the Altecs.... and the 030s are also a real kick in the pants.

Widget

jim campbell
04-08-2007, 06:45 AM
or ............keep the jubals ,buy the 19's and wait for a place of your own.they may be out of reach in a few years......who knows?

analog addict
04-12-2007, 06:24 PM
...build a loft in your room if you have to...I've had mine for about 10 days, and despite the proven lack of HF extension, and supposed lack of punchy bass, they are still the best speaker I've ever heard. I got lucky and paid $1000 for mine, cosmetically a 9/10, and with untouched original drivers. However, the woofers are different series (416-8A vs 416-8B) and the serial numbers aren't consecutive, etc...So what? They still sound like a slice of heaven on earth. Yeah, they are big enough to fit a corpse in each with room to spare, but you can't have everything...:D

Zilch
04-12-2007, 07:37 PM
....and supposed lack of punchy bass,....They're just tuned wrong. Proposed fixes for that are documented here, too, somewhere.... ;)

spwal
04-12-2007, 09:16 PM
put an "off limits" sign on your door.

analog addict
04-13-2007, 05:05 AM
put an "off limits" sign on your door.

...place them against the door and climb in and out through the window:p