PDA

View Full Version : Should I? Advice needed.......

Reconer
01-21-2004, 04:02 PM
I had these years ago. Always loved 'em. Can't believe I let them go.
Also, what do you guys thing about contacting an Ebay seller direct and offering to buy outside of Ebay? Bad idea?
North Carolina is just up the road from me.
Got Christmas bonus money I want to spend.

Hmmmm...........

<<JJ>>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3072770662&category=14993

mikebake
01-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Hell yeah! What does your research indicate about what the price should be?

boputnam
01-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Reconer
Also, what do you guys thing about contacting an Ebay seller direct and offering to buy outside of Ebay? Bad idea?
That happens, but usually when there is a Reserve, which has been un-met. In this case, with no reserve, I think legitimate bidders would have right to cry "foul", and also that eBay will not allow this auction to be cancelled. Hell, JJ, email him and see if he'll take your off-auction bid, and if eBay will allow the auction cancelled.

I don't know valuation on these, but eBay experience tells that with 3-days to go, the closing price will likely be 2x the present bid.

Reconer
01-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks Bo,

I may just cool the jets for a couple of days and see what happens.

<<JJ>>

speakerdave
01-21-2004, 08:16 PM
This fellow Forum member will sell you a pair of those babies. PM if interested.

David

Mr. Widget
01-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Hi Reconer,

I am with Bo on this. I think trying to circumvent the eBay auction is a bit tacky. It happens everyday, so does cheating on one's taxes, I don't do either.

As for value, they are frequently available on eBay and elsewhere. They tend to go for $500 to $1000, with a very clean to mint pair typically going for around $800.

Are you really sure you need these? You can typically get a pair of 4430s (a much better speaker in my opinion) in the upper end of this range.

Widget

JBL Dog
01-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by boputnam
That happens, but usually when there is a Reserve, which has been un-met. In this case, with no reserve, I think legitimate bidders would have right to cry "foul", and also that eBay will not allow this auction to be cancelled. Hell, JJ, email him and see if he'll take your off-auction bid, and if eBay will allow the auction cancelled.

I don't know valuation on these, but eBay experience tells that with 3-days to go, the closing price will likely be 2x the present bid.

I've been involved in many Ebay auctions that I have been an active bidder that were cancelled by the seller. Most of the time the reason is "item no longer for sale". There are times when the seller has it listed on other sites simultaneously (such as Audiogon) and may have closed a deal elsewhere. Some sellers may put a "subject to prior sale" disclaimer in the auction. I would not be surpirsed to see Ebay policing it a little more for potential violations. Maybe charging a fee to cancel based on where the current bid is and how much time is left in the auction, etc. If a seller sells an item for $500.00 outside of Ebay they'll lose about $15.00 in final value fees. You can bet it's an issue and there are plans in the works to deal with it.

My Ebay auctions are mostly "buy-it-now" for large quantities of the same item. Recently 3107's, offering 10 per listing. I had several 4350 DIY guys wanting to buy all at a discount. I never cancelled the auction, but I did sell a bunch outside of Ebay. Not the one's I had set aside for auction, of course!! :D

As a buyer, I prefer to make the tranasaction over Ebay (especially if shipping is involved). There is a reasonable amount of protection if the seller doesn't follow through.

Good luck on the L65's. It looks like several are interested. L65's in like condition have been going for around $1000 (+/- $100).

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

speakerdave
01-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
Are you really sure you need these?

Where have I heard this before? Of course the Forum spouses will be glad to learn that Forum members will be applying this standard to all future purchases. Yeah, right!

"He may know what you need, but I know what you WANT"

This thing is about DESIRE, Baby and SATISFACTION!

Cook that seed, Friend, DO IT NOW!

Is the Jubal the greatest speaker in the world (even for the money)? I don't think so; I'm selling mine. But if anybody wants the experience of owning a pair, for whatever reason, I have a minty pair available.

Regards,

David

Reconer
01-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Hey Dave, I've PM'd you twice.
At least I think I have.

Le'me know.

<<JJ>>

jbl
01-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Hi Reconer;
You're in luck. The other night here in New York, the local NBC station had a segment on exactly what you are considering regarding contacting the seller "outside" e-bay. The buyer handed over $2,500 to the seller and guess what...the buyer never recieved the plasma TV. The answer was that e-bay is not responsible if the buyer contacts the seller to make a private sale. The buyer, in this case, was out the $2,500.

jbl

Reconer
01-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Well, the only reason I "was" considering it was because the speakers are just up the road in North Carolina. I was going to make the drive, see and hopefully hear the Jubals, THEN hand over $$$. Would save on shipping too.

<<JJ>>

jbl
01-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Now that's different.

jbl

jblnut
01-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Let me tell you - if you get screwed out of $2500 and you are using ebay, their maximum reimbursement is $200 minus a $25
"processing fee". PayPal is completely useless and apparently not financially liable if you lose money on a deal gone bad. I just went through all this on a $375 digital camera deal where the seller never sent me the camera. Only after repeated contact, threats of law enforecement and proof that I knew where she lived did I finally get my money back. I was totally underwhelmed with the effort and response I received from ebay/PayPal.

Lesson learned - only use a credit card with PayPal, *NOT* money you may have in your PayPal account. VISA/MC will step up and solve problems like this a whole lot better and faster than ebay/pp.

jblnut