PDA

View Full Version : Receiver suggestions?

mfueroid
04-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Greetings,

Once again, a pair of Lancer 77 speakers that I originally purchased in 1977 are in my hands. I would like to use these in my basement just for FM and CDs. Can someone recommend a reasonably cheap but adequate receiver for these? (I originally ran these with a Dynaco power amp and preamp.)

Thanks

clmrt
04-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Lots of people like tubes on those, but buying an old cheap tube amp will cost you in maintenance and worry.

Something new?

Maybe a Tripath-based receiver, but I really don't have any experience.

Perhaps a used NAD?

If you go onto A'gon right now, there are several vintage receivers that would suit, I'm sure. I've used a Marantz 2220B on L26's to good effect. Since the 77's are likely a better speaker, perhaps that $200 2230 would be a good match.

The SX-680 looks nice for the $$, too.

No affiliation.

SEAWOLF97
04-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Greetings,

Once again, a pair of Lancer 77 speakers that I originally purchased in 1977 are in my hands. I would like to use these in my basement just for FM and CDs. Can someone recommend a reasonably cheap but adequate receiver for these? (I originally ran these with a Dynaco power amp and preamp.)

Thanks

I have an absolutely pristine Marantz 2230 (with factory clear plastic over the face and wood case) AND am in Portland, too. If interested, PM me. TOM

pmakres1
04-04-2007, 11:19 AM
I have an absolutely pristine Marantz 2230 (with factory clear plastic over the face and wood case) AND am in Portland, too. If interested, PM me. TOM

I was about to suggest a nice vintage Marantz receiver. They were/are nice! My very first (true component) amplifier was a Marantz model 1030, I got it whe I was 13 years old. I still have it and it still works (I think!).

I have 4 sytems in my house and yet I'm still very tempted whenever I look at the vintage Marantz stuff on eBay. In fact, I have one on my watch list right now! But where would I put it? :blink:

Good luck and godspeed!

Peter