PDA

View Full Version : Altec - Voice of the Theater

dkalsi
04-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Hi guys, I am new to these forums and have little knowledge of Altec Speakers. Presently I own Klipsch La Scalas and the Klipsch Cornwalls....

Someone local is selling "Altec - Voice of the Theater" speakers in "excellent conditions from the 60s" for $1200. I dont know if that is a good price. I dont even know if that is a speaker worth looking into and how it might compare to the Klipsch.

Please let me know what you guys thing. Thanks. Dhar

louped garouv
04-02-2007, 08:46 AM
alot of variables, pics help identify some of the variances, but getting inside and

taking note of the model number of the woofers, as well as the horns/compression drivers/crossovers will allow a better estimate of worth

I use VOTTS in a domestic setting, but have not heard Klipsch ones, so cannot comment about relative strengths/weaknesses

Storm
04-02-2007, 10:50 AM
I owned a set of Cornwalls at the same time I own my present speakers. While the Cornwalls are great and have good sound overall, the Altecs have excellent imaging and they put you right in the middle of the action.

I would go buy the Altecs and sell the Klipsch Cornwalls. I have not heard the La Scalas, yet.

Good luck.

-Storm.

louped garouv
04-02-2007, 10:53 AM
I haven't heard many people say the Altecs image excellently.....

Storm
04-02-2007, 10:59 AM
I haven't heard many people say the Altecs image excellently.....

Well, I firmly say they do.

Just my opinion - but to me, Altecs make the world go round.

;)

-Storm.

dkalsi
04-02-2007, 11:00 AM
I dont think I wil ever part with my Cornwalls.....no to say there are not better speakers out there... I am sure there are tons, and maybe i just got too used to my Cornwalls...to me they will always sound pleasent.

In regards to the Altecs - is that price fair, over priced, or underpriced. What do you think i should be looking for when I go observe the speaker.

Please let me know. Thanks for all your input thus far.

louped garouv
04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
you can't really say much about the price without knowing the components involved,

The ALtec Voice of the Theater came in many many configurations

you need to get the model numbers for the woofers, compression drivers, horns & crossovers, cabinet model number (if factory) is useful in determining worth as well -- DIY cabinets are generally worth less than factory (even though DIY cabinets may be much better built)

alotawatts
04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
I dont even know if that is a speaker worth looking into and how it might compare to the Klipsch.

They were the sound reinforcement industry standard for concerts into the 70's +.
You'll need a big room !

Storm
04-10-2007, 02:01 PM
They were the sound reinforcement industry standard for concerts into the 70's +.
You'll need a big room !

On what grounds do you say that?

Graphs, please.

;)

-Storm

hjames
04-10-2007, 02:14 PM

Graphs, please.

;)

-Storm

I say crap on that, sir!

The basic concept of "the Voice of the Theatre" was that it was designed to fill a very large room!

they didn't call it "the Voice of the Kitchen" or "the Voice of the Toolshed" or even "the Voice of the Bathroom", now did they?

:applaud:

louped garouv
04-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I have them operating in a decent sized, not huge, basement, they do what I want them too....

never heard them called "voice of the basement" either....

did they call them voice of the stadium?

Zilch
04-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Graphs, please.You'll be sorrrrry.... :scold:

louped garouv
04-10-2007, 02:21 PM
not with subs and tweeters....

well, depending on what you are looking for....

hjames
04-10-2007, 03:00 PM
I have them operating in a decent sized, not huge, basement, they do what I want them too....

never heard them called "voice of the basement" either....

did they call them voice of the stadium?

You, sir, must have bought the lesser known "Voice of the Garouv" model ...

louped garouv
04-10-2007, 04:16 PM
it's all in the electronics.....

well........ not all, but alot ;)

alotawatts
04-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Graphs, please.

;)

-Storm

Okay...they would sound good in any room..... you can put 8 foot blades on your ceiling fan too.

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry16?V1=583906&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=48205&V5=31031484&S1=&S2=&S3=&S4=&S5=&V2=&V3=&V4=&DSP=0&CUR=840&PGRP=0&ABCODE=&CACHE_ID=0

scott fitlin
04-11-2007, 06:16 PM
I say crap on that, sir!

The basic concept of "the Voice of the Theatre" was that it was designed to fill a very large room!

they didn't call it "the Voice of the Kitchen" or "the Voice of the Toolshed" or even "the Voice of the Bathroom", now did they?

:applaud:Psst! Hey Heather, Altec DID have a 'Voice of the Highway' system for cars in the 80,s.

:D

OldBlindJim
04-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi guys, I am new to these forums and have little knowledge of Altec Speakers. Presently I own Klipsch La Scalas and the Klipsch Cornwalls....

Someone local is selling "Altec - Voice of the Theater" speakers in "excellent conditions from the 60s" for $1200. I dont know if that is a good price. I dont even know if that is a speaker worth looking into and how it might compare to the Klipsch.

Please let me know what you guys thing. Thanks. Dhar

I use to sell Klipsch Pro and have heard about 50% of their line in both Pro and Home. Impressive stuff :). The A7 will deliver in the small environment as your La Scalas. The pressure will be intense just like the LaS but will be of a different color. Like eating two apples from different lines. One may be sweet the other maybe tart. But some like tart and other like sweet. I other words you'll have to heard them after they have been properly setup and with the same music being played. Does it sound good to you!

Components must be correct to have a high value. See if you can have them take the back off and look at the date code from the back side edge of the woofer (6 digit number). Let us know and you get an answer VERY quickly. Weber (http://www.webervst.com/codes.html) has a quick reference to show you.

Get the horn driver's model number and finally....

Will they fit in your car!

Cost wish .. Go look at them. You Like them, you buy them. Not many clean examples left in some areas (100% original). PS always Flash the Cash then grained away.

OBJ

doucanoe
04-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Im looking at a pair of A7's right now that are currently hanging from the walls, unused in a high school choir classrom/auditorium. If I do the deal they would be residing in a @11' x 11' room thats open on one side (converted dining room). Or maybe not :D

I might just have to hear them in there just to say I tried it. More than likely, into the basement they will go until that space is finished. Then it's big venue style HT/music set-up here we come. Just need to find a third for a center channel.

RC

jim campbell
04-11-2007, 07:30 PM
why not.if you get a good price jump on em.i dont think that the 11 foot room would be at all flattering tho.....

doucanoe
04-11-2007, 07:51 PM
why not.if you get a good price jump on em.i dont think that the 11 foot room would be at all flattering tho.....

You got that right. Nearfield listening at it finest ;)

I guess that I have seen some pic's of Japanese audio rooms that were about that way or worse. Lack of real estate is no excuse for smallish loudspeakers :D

OldBlindJim
04-11-2007, 07:56 PM

I had a set on them in my bedroom as a kid and listening to "Close to the Edge" by the Yes was a bit much. But I was young and I liked it. A Lot!

What room are they going in? It must be of some size because the LaS are there now and dim ain't no little bookshelf squeekers.

OBJ

jim campbell
04-11-2007, 09:50 PM
im just thinking out loud that the lack of space may be a temporary thing and at some future time those would be nice to have.who knows what this stuff will be worth even five years from now.

OldBlindJim
04-11-2007, 10:24 PM
im just thinking out loud that the lack of space may be a temporary thing and at some future time those would be nice to have.who knows what this stuff will be worth even five years from now.

True