PDA

View Full Version : L-200's vs C40's??

mikezcar
04-01-2007, 09:00 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290100599943&fromMakeTrack=true

Ok catchy title but, the decision on the 4 foot long C40 cabinets has been made, they will go. At the very least I will be at half the footprint, floorspace for my wife to do as she pleases. On the threads I've read it looks like the L-200's can be enjoyed as is and that there are quite a few upgrades to consider. I know too much already, really don't want to get to tuning cabinets, changing/building crossovers etc. Understand the upgrades and the reasoning but will these fill the house with music. The C40's although outdated and in my case with the wrong woofers, still "fill" the house at low volume. Really kinda soothing especially moving around the house.

Anyone heard both? Thoughts?

When I move, in a year or so, it will be a good time to "justify" a sale and an upgrade if needed but the L-200's look like they'll fill the bill.

BMWCCA
04-01-2007, 09:51 AM
The L200s in your link "sold" recently for $1,025 but the high bidder was a no-pay, just as he was on a BMW X3, and is now listed as "not a registered member". FYI

hjames
04-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Hey - nothing wrong with L200s if you load 'em & tweak 'em right!

mikezcar
04-01-2007, 10:30 AM
I'll email the seller and see what he thinks.

Any one know which models these are by the sn#'s? Looks like a "rubber" surround, everthing look as it should?

Thanks, Mike

The L200s in your link "sold" recently for $1,025 but the high bidder was a no-pay, just as he was on a BMW X3, and is now listed as "not a registered member". FYI

Zilch
04-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Any one know which models these are by the sn#'s? Looks like a "rubber" surround, everthing look as it should?Not "rubber," those look like the stock LE15B driver.

The "Quintessential Rock 'n" Roll" speaker, they're L100s on steroids -- boomy bass, "forward" midrange, and no highs worthy of mention. You can boom your brains out with them.

Insofar as upgrade is concerned, the woofers will sell on eBay for enough money to replace with "as-new" 2235Hs, and the LE85s can be reused after refurbishing or resold for decent money as-is.

Seems like you're saying you are not into upgrading and tweaking, though. If so, know and appreciate that stock L200s rather suck by contemporary standards....

fotodan
04-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Not "rubber," those look like the stock LE15B driver.

The "Quintessential Rock 'n" Roll" speaker, they're L100s on steroids -- boomy bass, "forward" midrange, and no highs worthy of mention. You can boom your brains out with them.

Insofar as upgrade is concerned, the woofers will sell on eBay for enough money to replace with "as-new" 2235Hs, and the LE85s can be reused after refurbishing or resold for decent money as-is.

Seems like you're saying you are not into upgrading and tweaking, though. If so, know and appreciate that stock L200s rather suck by contemporary standards....

I was watching the same pair, since they are an hour away, except, I have spare pair of L65's. in thinking if not very hard to find crossover, would install 077's into 200's, to see if I could shoot for sound of L300's, or just bite the bullet and find a excellent pair of L300's or 4333A's. What ya say Zilch??

Zilch
04-01-2007, 01:10 PM
I was watching the same pair, since they are an hour away, except, I have spare pair of L65's. in thinking if not very hard to find crossover, would install 077's into 200's, to see if I could shoot for sound of L300's, or just bite the bullet and find a excellent pair of L300's or 4333A's. What ya say Zilch??L200s will convert to "Quasi-L300," the major shortfall being the short horn. Gotta punch the LE85 out the back for the better long one to fit. Short horn's not terrible, though, run three-way.

Woofer gets 2235H
077 installs in-line above the horn
Build Giskard's N333 equivalent crossover from scratch, or Todd's "Keeper" to cut in the UHF a little lower.

The long horns will fit in SM50 and 432x cabs, but they don't have the WAF of L200s. Not sure L200s have all that much, tho, considering the size vs. contemporary desires for speaker "invisibility" as a major factor in decor.

mikezcar
04-01-2007, 03:25 PM

It's not out of the question, soon as I make a bigger dent in the list of things I need to accomplish over the next 3 years, got tube stereo stuff to service and restore, couple of motorcyles to finish, a house that is a real disarray in prep for sale and make a living. Anyway, what "comtemporary" JBL speaker in the $1000 to $1500/set range would let me plug and play. 2 ft or less width. "NEED" the bass but "want" to hear all the music. Just looking for thoughts.

Mike

jim campbell
04-01-2007, 03:59 PM
what does audiobeer want for his 4430 set.id look there and if its a bit more cash maybe hold off on one of the bikes

mikezcar
04-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Considered Audiobeers speakers, when my wife saw the blue grills that idea went away. Grills will have to be a dark color. I just do as I'm told,,,,,
,, ok sometimes anyway.

Mike

grumpy
04-01-2007, 05:19 PM
the knit fabric on the 4430 grille frame is not difficult to replace, considering
some of the other projects you have lined up...:) The person I bought mine
from had them done in a "chocolate" brown.

The horns -do- tend to polarize folks, aesthetically, though... 'nuf said :)

mikezcar
04-02-2007, 08:13 AM
I thought these were the "foam" looking grills and that's what I showed my wife. Thought they would be too expensive to replace, if it's just a matter of changing cloth no problem.

Mr. Widget
04-02-2007, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=grumpy;160421

The horns -do- tend to polarize folks, aesthetically, though... 'nuf said :)[/QUOTE]

Really? :rotfl:

Widget

toddalin
04-02-2007, 09:38 AM
It's not out of the question, soon as I make a bigger dent in the list of things I need to accomplish over the next 3 years, got tube stereo stuff to service and restore, couple of motorcyles to finish, a house that is a real disarray in prep for sale and make a living. Anyway, what "comtemporary" JBL speaker in the $1000 to $1500/set range would let me plug and play. 2 ft or less width. "NEED" the bass but "want" to hear all the music. Just looking for thoughts.

Mike

C50 monitors with an S7 load including an LE-15A, LE85, HL-91, LX-5. Cabinets are a 9.5+++ except that they have no grill cloths (easy to make your own). Woofers were reconed (not refoamed) by Orange County Speaker in Dec '94. Everything works fine and drivers probably still have their wax seals.

These were originally utility grey, but were redone in a zolotone finish. They could easily be returned to grey, recolored, or veneered.

These also include custom made mounts and stands so that they can be hung, tilted, or placed 6 feet in the air. The stands are drilled for floor anchors. The mounts could easily be removed and the holes filled.

Only $750/pr. To be picked up, or shipped from Santa Ana, CA 92705. Wife would like to see these go before the Corvette returns from the shop next week.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/DSC_0002.jpg

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/DSC_0005.jpg

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/DSC_0008.jpg

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/DSC_00091.jpg

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/DSC_0007.jpg