PDA

View Full Version : JBL SA-600 total restoration

jan_slagman
04-01-2007, 05:24 AM
Hello JBL-friends,

Is there anybody in this forum who can tell me what type of powertransistors were used in the JBL SA-600 integrated amplifier. The official JBL-schedule only mentions the JBL parts-number. I also would like to know what type of toggleswitches were used. Does anyone of you know how to obtain the colour: Camo solid tube green. I have been searching all over the Netherlands but couldn't find a matching colour.
I had to saw through the shaft of some potentiometers because the former owner glued the knobs to the shaft. Well, that's all in the game when restoring such an item !!!

I would be very pleased to receive some helpful suggestions.

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands.

Hoerninger
04-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Hi,

in fact I can't give a help in detail. Someone in this forum mentioned that it might have been a 2N3055 (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106393&postcount=2).
Marshall Leach gives on his site http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/audiothings.html (http://users.ece.gatech.edu/%7Emleach/audiothings.html) a link to a

technical desription of the JBL SA-600 by Mr. Locanthi,
former vice-president of engineering at James B. Lansing Sound, Inc.

This will give you the idea. In the Leach Amp plans (http://users.ece.gatech.edu/%7Emleach/lowtim/) you will see a practical application with parts lists.

jan_slagman
04-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Hello Mr. Hoerninger,

You've been a great help to me. I hope your information can help me to solve the transistor problems. If anyone else knows what type of powertransistors JBL used in the JBL SA-600, please drop me a line.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands.

jan_slagman
04-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Hello JBL-friends,

Is there anybody in this forum who can tell me what type of powertransistors were used in the JBL SA-600 integrated amplifier. The official JBL-schedule only mentions the JBL parts-number. I also would like to know what type of toggleswitches were used. Does anyone of you know how to obtain the colour: Camo solid tube green. I have been searching all over the Netherlands but couldn't find a matching colour.
I had to saw through the shaft of some potentiometers because the former owner glued the knobs to the shaft. Well, that's all in the game when restoring such an item !!!

I would be very pleased to receive some helpful suggestions.

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands.

Hello everybody,

Meanwhile it pointed out one of the NPN powertransistors has a failure. I want to replace this transistor. On page 53 of the servicemanual you can read under Driver Circuit Board: Q9 with JBL-partnumber 12536.

I presume one can't order any original parts of this old JBL SA-600 anymore.
I would be very, very pleased if anyone knows an alternative transistor to replace the damaged one.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands

jan_slagman
04-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Hello everyone,

Today i got some inside information concerning the power-transistors in a JBL SA-600 integrated amplifier..
It is said JBL used the TRANSISTOR, NPN MPS6520 and
TRANSISTOR, MPS6518

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands

Hoerninger
04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Today i got some inside information concerning the power-transistors in a JBL SA-600 integrated amplifier..
It is said JBL used the TRANSISTOR, NPN MPS6520 and
TRANSISTOR, MPS6518

Please ask again, these are small signal transistors.

jan_slagman
04-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Hello Mr.Hoerninger,

Thanks for your kind information. I will contact my source and ask him for the right transistors once again.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands

doodlebug
04-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I had the "Energizer" version this amp back in the 70s. They used 2N3055 transistors in the output. I would suspect, however, that if one or more of them are bad, then there's another problem elsewhere in the amp.

The schematic for the SA-600 found in the links via Dr. Leach's web site, however, shows a fully direct-coupled amp. I seem to recall my Energizer used a transformer to couple the final stage (the one with the 2N3055s).

Given the article, I'd suggest you power it up on a variac once you're replaced the parts you think you need. They'll be taken out again unless all the bad parts are replaced together.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

jan_slagman
04-07-2007, 04:00 AM
I had the "Energizer" version this amp back in the 70s. They used 2N3055 transistors in the output. I would suspect, however, that if one or more of them are bad, then there's another problem elsewhere in the amp.

The schematic for the SA-600 found in the links via Dr. Leach's web site, however, shows a fully direct-coupled amp. I seem to recall my Energizer used a transformer to couple the final stage (the one with the 2N3055s).

Given the article, I'd suggest you power it up on a variac once you're replaced the parts you think you need. They'll be taken out again unless all the bad parts are replaced together.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your interesting input. Actually i am a bit astonished to learn how little is known about the parts that were used designing the JBL SA-600 amplifier. Ofcourse you can find a JBL schedule with JBL partnumbers, but unfortunately parts can't be obtained from JBL anymore.
You just have to know the specifications of the factory who made these parts wayback in the mid sixties.
When this project has been finished i will report the alterations we made and the alternative parts we used to this forum.
Maybe this information can be of any help to JBL SA-600 maniacs in future.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
Veenendaal
The Netherlands.

jan_slagman
11-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Hello JBL friends,

About half a year ago i promised i would report the total restoration of my rusty and heavily abused JBL SA-600 integrated amplifier, which i bought for € 55,00 on Dutch Marketplace (kinda Ebay). Have a look at:

http://www.hififorum.nl/index.php?topic=10420.msg162941#msg162941

Anyone who is interested in technical details can drop me a line.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
Veenendaal
The Netherlands

Fangio
11-10-2007, 04:14 AM
Veery impressive Jan. :)

This translation worked for me with Firefox.

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hififorum.nl%2Findex. php%3Ftopic%3D10420.msg162941%23msg162941&langpair=nl%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF8

jan_slagman
11-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Hello JBL friends,

About half a year ago i promised i would report the total restoration of my rusty and heavily abused JBL SA-600 integrated amplifier, which i bought for € 55,00 on Dutch Marketplace (kinda Ebay). Have a look at:

Anyone who is interested in technical details can drop me a line.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
Veenendaal
The Netherlands

Hello JBL friends,

At the beginning of 2007 i noticed much to my astonishment someone offered a JBL SA-600 integrated amplifier on Dutch Ebay and this was the very first time in my life i saw a JBL SA-600 for sale in Holland. Wayback in 1966 we had a small club of Hifi lovers and i had the JBL catalogue with that amplifier laying on my bed side cabinet.
Before going to sleep i used to look at the glossypicture of that “unreachable” dreammachine and I still have that catalogue. The amplifier was offered for € 50,00 on Dutch Ebay and i won it for € 55,00. But when the amplifier had been delivered and unpacked i didn’t know what i faced. Terrible, totally rusted, dusty, missing a volumeknob, two levers of two toggleswitches, the right black part of the front and the uppercover excisting out of two parts had been broken. The former owner told me he had bought the amplifier from someone who used it in his moisty garage for background music when working on his car A good friend of mine who is an electronic engineer warned me a restoration would cost me a massive amount. After tossing and turning a few days i decided to realize the dream of my youth. Another friend of mine, who is a metal expert, made a new knob, two levers for the toggle switches and the black side part, working on it for some ten hours. Five knobs, five levers and one side part had to be anodized again to get the same colour. The enclosure was cleaned and repainted in olive green.
Two power transistors and fourteen small transistors had broke down and every capacitor and every resistor was replaced. I made a pair of massive American walnutpanels myself and i oiled them the way JBL used to do (boiled lineseed mixed with gum terpentine). It took about half a year before every part had been restored and brought back to specifications. Now the amplifier has better specifications then 40 years ago, when leaving the factory in Los Angeles.
Ofcourse one can buy a new amplifier for the amount i spent to restorate the JBL SA-600, but to me the most important thing was to realize a dream i once cherished in my youth.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
Veenendaal
The Netherlands

This a free translation of my Dutch article on www.hififorum.nl (http://www.hififorum.nl)

duaneage
01-05-2008, 06:26 PM
What's interesting about the "t" circuit design is it became a model for chip amps today. The small amount of parts combine with lack of capacitors made it very easy to make on a chip.

Excellent restoration, quite amazing really. Don't worry about how much it costs because it's obvious your not going to sell it ever.

Mr. Widget
01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
A true work of love showing incredible attention to detail... absolutely awe inspiring!!! Thank you, thank you!!!

It is rare to see such outstanding work. That is likely the most impressive project I have seen on this forum to date.

Anyone interested in seeing something truly awe inspiring should look over the photos posted here:

Congratulations! I am impressed. Absolutely Magnificent!

Widget

edgewound
01-06-2008, 09:00 AM
:applaud:Not only beautiful work....the photo essay really tells an evolution story of the restoration.

What a treat...thanks for sharing...incredible work.

johnaec
01-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Definitely really nice! I can do cabinet work and simple electronics, but a project like that rebuild takes something special! :applaud:

John

jan_slagman
01-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi JBL friends,

Thanks all of you for your positive comments. Most of the credits have to go to Mr. Ruud Janssen who restorated the electronic part of this heavily abused JBL amplifier. Mr. Janssen is an expert and in the past he used to work for a worldwide known American loudspeaker, amplifier and turntable manufacturer. I did the rough work myself, i de-rusted the enclosure and i painted it at new. I also made the American walnut sidepanels. A good friend of mine who is a metallurgic expert made a new knurled pointerknob, which was a hell of a job. (one was missing) and he made a number of levers for the toggleswitches. (three were broken). Yes indeed (quoting Duaneage) i will never ever sell this dream again!
Wayback in 1967 i couldn't have dreamt i would ever possess this legendary masterpiece.

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands

Guido
01-06-2008, 02:24 PM
What a job. WOW! :bouncy:

jan_slagman
01-06-2008, 04:16 PM
"Spaet kommt Ihr.. doch Ihr kommt." F. v. Schiller

Deserved, and – better late than never, right Jan? :D

Da hast du völlig recht Fangio !!!

But........, on the link mentioned below one could already read who did what part of the project !

http://www.hififorum.nl/index.php?topic=10420.0

I only forgot you obviously don't read Dutch.

With kind regards,

Jan

duaneage
01-08-2008, 08:42 PM
I have a pair of bicycles that I'll never part with. They are not particularly valuable to anybody else, but to me they are priceless. The value of something you worked so hard on is more than just money or specifications. It ceases to be an object.

It becomes family.

audiorecyclers
02-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows where to get a replacement volume control pot for my SA-600. One channel of mine has a broken tap on the phenolic swipe pad. Thanks,

audiophile
12-16-2008, 02:22 PM
I have been googling and researching what I have found in the workshop/attic of a friend's husband, an audiophile. This is the only James B Lansing piece he had, and it's been wrapped up in heavy plastic. She said it was his when they married, and he had it for years till he upgraded to SAE when he started working with SAE. It's got everything intact and appears to be in fantastic shape for its age. She thinks he paid close to $400 for it when it was new. That seems to be in keeping with the ads and things I read online.

I have not yet located a power cord for it. I was going to email the JBL site and ask if they might be able to refer me to someone with one.

I have sold quite a few of this family's audio items at eBay in the fast few months, such as Acurus, Mondial, Aragon audio items from his personal office, and many items still new in their packaging.

eMail me for details if you might be interested? I'd like to see this go to a good home if someone's feeling a tad nostalgic and wants a piece of audio history that doesn't need cosmetic restoration.

Pam
on ebay: digi_noze (seller name)

:)

bigyank
12-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Appreciate it (as do others) that you offer it here first. Welcome, stay a while and most importantly, post some pics.:D

Yank

BMWCCA
12-16-2008, 08:10 PM
:D

Even though you cross-posted your advertisement in two separate forums here. Neither one really the correct one for selling a JBL item. :D

grumpy
12-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Even though you cross-posted your advertisement in two separate forums here.

I'll take the cleaver for that one... made an offline suggestion to have a
moderator move the ad to Marketplace... didn't specify :o:

I'll go warm my voice coils for penance.

BMWCCA
12-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I'll go warm my voice coils for penance.That sounds dangerously close to a seasonal-carol lyric.

Are you gonna warm your cockles while you're at it?

Roast some nuts? :presents:

grumpy
12-16-2008, 09:29 PM
... just leave organoil out of the conversation, and we'll be good.

so be good for goodness sake.