PDA

View Full Version : Newby to the Group

OldBlindJim
03-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Howdy all,
I've been watching and reading for sometime and like a lot of you " It doesn't have to be new to be Great" and its still one of my train of thoughts.

Now I have friends that are starting to let their prizes go. So I'll be spending most of my time in the Marketplace forum. I'll be asking question about the Lansing product they are letting go. I just want to make sure of what it is and how to ID they're loudspeaker systems. Most if not all will be offered here and some on Ebay.

So thanks you for letting me be right and watch for me at the marketplace forum.

I love the stuff.

I was very poor so my first setup was two A7 I built myself, a 15 watt tube mono preamp/amp and a ReK-O-Cut turntable in 1967. It was Boss, Far out and Loud!!

Thanks
Old Blind Jim

Storm
03-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Welcome, fellow Altec lover.

You will enjoy this forum, trust me.

Aside from politics, it's a great wealth of information and fellow vintage JBL and Altec enthusiasts.

-Storm.

;)

Howdy all,
I've been watching and reading for sometime and like a lot of you " It doesn't have to be new to be Great" and its still one of my train of thoughts.

Now I have friends that are starting to let their prizes go. So I'll be spending most of my time in the Marketplace forum. I'll be asking question about the Lansing product they are letting go. I just want to make sure of what it is and how to ID they're loudspeaker systems. Most if not all will be offered here and some on Ebay.

So thanks you for letting me be right and watch for me at the marketplace forum.

I love the stuff.

I was very poor so my first setup was two A7 I built myself, a 15 watt tube mono preamp/amp and a ReK-O-Cut turntable in 1967. It was Boss, Far out and Loud!!

Thanks
Old Blind Jim

louped garouv
04-02-2007, 08:51 AM
welcome aboard!

DIY seems to be a common trait round here....

moldyoldy
04-02-2007, 09:52 AM
...and thank you for the honest explanation of your intentions. Many here are tired of having their chains jerked by lazy, hit-and-run eBay pigs. :banghead:

www.records
04-05-2007, 07:36 AM
...and thank you for the honest explanation of your intentions. Many here are tired of having their chains jerked by lazy, hit-and-run eBay pigs. :banghead:

Hey...................oh, nevermind.:blink:

How come you aren't fishing moldy?

moldyoldy
04-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey...................oh, nevermind.:blink:

How come you aren't fishing moldy?

Post cold front. Picking morels instead. Got a nice mess this AM. :bouncy:

RKLee
04-05-2007, 01:00 PM
OldBlindJim (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=7303): Welcome. I'm a newbie here myself.

You built two A7s? That is quite feat, that was beyond my woodworking skills, I just built a square box with butt-joints using 2 Altec 414 12" woofers, 811 horn, 806 compression driver, and EV T350 super tweeter.

OldBlindJim
04-05-2007, 06:17 PM
OldBlindJim (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=7303): Welcome. I'm a newbie here myself.

You built two A7s? That is quite feat, that was beyond my woodworking skills, I just built a square box with butt-joints using 2 Altec 414 12" woofers, 811 horn, 806 compression driver, and EV T350 super tweeter.

IT WAS!! but Kurt's dad was quite the teacher. He'd show us how to cut it up and made us do it. The second two were a lot easier. Back then we use what ever we could find. Utah 15's from Sparky's Ele. and World's biggest Atlas paging horns and a CAP for the xover. Scary and loud! After awhile things got a lot better. They sold the cinema in town and I the xovers and the 15 cell horns with 288 and 515(?) and then I sold them to a....a....I can't remember?:banghead: Why? why? So young and without a mind! Sad. Maybe my mom had them towed away while I was past out!

OB Jim

OldBlindJim
04-05-2007, 06:22 PM
PS: They were in my bed room! "In the God-of-da-Veda" Ya, i think?:blink:

boputnam
04-05-2007, 06:34 PM
I love the stuff. Howdy there, 'er, Jim...

Have you any experience with the L220...?
A friend was asking me about them. I don't know the L220, but wondered if you or your friends do.

Thanks.

OldBlindJim
04-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Howdy there, 'er, Jim...

Have you any experience with the L220...?
A friend was asking me about them. I don't know the L220, but wondered if you or your friends do.

Thanks.

That was the late 70's and here's a link to the page with a pic. http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1979-home/page2.jpg

and spec from Techrob
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L220%20ts.pdf

4 way I believe.

OB Jim

RKLee
04-06-2007, 10:45 AM
They sold the cinema in town and I the xovers and the 15 cell horns with 288 and 515(?) and then I sold them to a....a....I can't remember?:banghead: Why? why? So young and without a mind! Sad. Maybe my mom had them towed away while I was past out!

OB Jim
OldBlindJim:
Oh my God! You actually threw away some Altec 1505 horns? I bet they were even more valuable because they were probably the older tar-filled ones. I just found out that the 1505s are the rarest of the Altec multi-cell horns and probably tar-filled to boot, and they are worth HUGE bucks today. Ahhhh.... some of the things we did when you're young and stupid.

I built my Altecs circa 1975-76, and then I lost interest. I recently "woke up" from my "audio slumber" and found the the audio landscape has changed dramatically. I was familiar with audio in the days prior to the introduction of the 5150 IBM PC. And today, there are sophisticated speaker design sim software and instrumentation that was only available in engineering labs at Altec and JBL back then.

Check out the discussions and comments of Altec multi-cell horns here: IPC VOTT OMG...... (http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/3729/t/2819)

BTW: We are showing our age. I haven't heard that song since the early 1970s, and lately I recently decided to set up my old audo equipment. I actually played "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly on my old Dual 1209 a few weeks ago, and my 19 year old daughter comes by and says "hey I've heard that song," and I go WTF!(I was truly surprised) really? It was on the Simpson's TV show. Go figure, the show's creator Matt Groenig must be from our generation.

If you folks are interested in legacy Altec horns, there are a few discussion threads on them at former Altec employee Todd White's Unofficial Altec Message Board, (http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=3729)
, I invite everyone to pop on over and have "a look see."

Guy in WNY
04-06-2007, 11:19 AM
That's the one where Bart switches the music on the organ at church and gets everyone to sing along. "In the garden of Evil....."
At the end of the song the organist collapses onto the organ and everybody has a BIC lighter up in the air. I think the church catches on fire and burns to the ground?

Good song anyway - one of the original "DRONE" tunes.
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

OldBlindJim
04-06-2007, 04:58 PM
OldBlindJim:
Oh my God! You actually threw away some Altec"

Yep Yep Yep!!!! Will, I truly can't remember what happen to them..:o:..Really!

Thanks for links. I'll go check it out.

OB Jim

RKLee
04-06-2007, 08:20 PM
That's the one where Bart switches the music on the organ at church and gets everyone to sing along. "In the garden of Evil....."
At the end of the song the organist collapses onto the organ and everybody has a BIC lighter up in the air. I think the church catches on fire and burns to the ground?

Good song anyway - one of the original "DRONE" tunes.
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
Yep, the same. I remember seeing that episode but don't rememeber what exactly transpired; the fog of old age, "memory is the 2nd thing to go because I forgot what the first was."

From Wikipedia:
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida)
(One of the band members died from a cardiac at 53:()

boputnam
04-06-2007, 10:39 PM
That was the late 70's and here's a link to the page with a pic. http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1979-home/page2.jpg

and spec from Techrob
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L220%20ts.pdf

4 way I believe.

OB Jim:duck:

Clever...;)

herbman75
04-08-2007, 08:00 AM

Yes, I too was tired of having my chain jerked, so I came here. The chain is being jerked harder than ever, as I am out $250 and have given up all hope of ever seeing my speakers from one of this forums "senior members".

New guy - Stick to eBay, at least there you can file complaints and stuff if you don't get your gear. Here, you apparently have no recourse for items unsent.

herbs

OldBlindJim
04-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Yes, I too was tired of having my chain jerked, so I came here. The chain is being jerked harder than ever, as I am out $250 and have given up all hope of ever seeing my speakers from one of this forums "senior members".

New guy - Stick to eBay, at least there you can file complaints and stuff if you don't get your gear. Here, you apparently have no recourse for items unsent.

herbs

I have an idea of how it can be fair and safe for all. Stay tuned.

OL Jim

hjames
04-08-2007, 08:29 AM

herbs

"Senior member" its a title the forum software adds automagically when you hit 100 posts - it is no guarantee of honesty, lucidity, or quality.

C'mon, Name names - or is it ok if others get burned by such a character.

THATS the recourse - public humiliation ... public shaming

boputnam
04-08-2007, 10:25 AM
The chain is being jerked harder than ever, as I am out $250 and have given up all hope of ever seeing my speakers from one of this forums "senior members"."herbs"...

Note that "Senior Member", like any other moniker, can be self attributed, as in your "ToNeDeF" choice. If left to "default" mode it indicates number of posts - however, it does not, by itself, indicate anything other than that. It certainly is nothing like the "Feedback" scheme on eBay (though not flawless, is mostly useful).

C'mon, Name names - or is it ok if others get burned by such a character. THATS the recourse - public humiliation ... public shamingThere is that option, if you cannot sort things out. I'd do so in the Marketplace area where this misunderstanding may have originated.

I have an idea of how it can be fair and safe for all. Stay tuned.What are you talking about?

johnaec
04-08-2007, 10:48 AM
What are you talking about?I'm guessing escrow...

John

OldBlindJim
04-08-2007, 10:59 AM
"What are you talking about?

I've been a EBayer long enough to see how bad things could get.
I'm working on a way to keep transactions from going astray.

I'm not a hit and run type guy and I have a lot to sell so keeping everyone happy is Number One in my book. I will show how and what I'm testing before it's released for sell and I will ask for help to ID items. That way everyone will see what it is and its condition.

What I'll do is to continue at Market Place, soon with a possible plan. Yes it will involve EBay but with a twist to make it fair for the group and a way to use the services that Ebay and Paypal offer. Look for member oldblindjim at ebay and So see you at Market Place when I announce a plan for approval.

Your feedback will be welcomed.

OB Jim

boputnam
04-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Your feedback will be welcomed. Interesting. I'm sure many here will appreciate a clever solution.

Were it me selling, I'd always direct the buyers to eBay - use "Marketplace" merely for announcement. "WTB" presents a problem, in-that the auction must go public on eBay, and if for a dear item, could result in the WTB dood getting nothing. Maybe your solution has a workaround for that?

eBay is not perfect, as we know, but it does offer some recourse. Perfect is honest buyers/sellers. Some of my biggest transactions (purchases) started on eBay but ended in "cancelled" auctions transacted outside the system, no PayPal. Honesty works best... :yes:

Steve Schell
04-08-2007, 03:51 PM
RKLee, the H-1505 horns are not the rarest of the tar filled horns; they are actually among the more frequently found ones. Their value is up due to higher demand than for most of the multis. I think the 1505 has become so popular due to Jean Hiraga championing their use for many years. From pictures I have seen, his appear to be the later B series horns with fibrous material stuffed between the cells.

The most rare tar filled horns are the ones that were produced by Lansing Mfg. Co. for the first year or two beginning in 1935. They were built with construction details similar to E.C. Wente's original multicellular horns as built by Bell Labs for use in the Fletcher Horn System of 1933. These horns do not have spacers between the cell mouths; the mouth edges fit tightly together. Also, the cells are curved to become parallel in the throat section. Here is a picture of one of these horns:

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/lmco/photos/products/500a/805-front.jpg

So far I have managed to collect three 805s and one 803 of this type. I have my eye on a 1203 owned by a friend... only problem is that it probably weighs 150 lbs. and is in Australia! The earliest RCA multis were also built this way, except that they were stuffed with fibrous material instead of tar.

Bob Stephens was in charge of constructing the original Shearer Horn multis at MGM before he left them to begin the company that became Stephens Tru-sonic. One rumor I've heard is that Stephens built horns for Lansing and others in the early days. It is possible that this is true; the early Lansings and RCAs look like they might have been built by the same hands.

Another rarity is the model H-1508, a 15 cell, 800Hz. horn. I have a pair of these with built in throats that fit the Lansing 284 and 285 threaded mount drivers. I've never seen any others, although there is a listing for a H-1508 with detachable throat adapter in the 1943 Altec Lansing catalog.

mikezcar
04-08-2007, 07:36 PM
You have that many Lansing products that you need to set up a Store Front? wow

Mike

OldBlindJim
04-08-2007, 08:56 PM
You have that many Lansing products that you need to set up a Store Front? wow

Mike

I have been a fan of Lansing for a long time. I may not know as much as some of you, but I do get chills when I’m confronted by an old breathing pair of loudspeakers with his name on them. To imagine the effort to produce the early examples drives me crazy.

I would like to put back this artifact I’ve found to people who would be the most likely to restore them and bring life back to their voice. That’s all

In short, there will be some very happy fans of Lansing. One day I’ll join you and build again a set of A7.

OB Jim

upstate_records
04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I too am new and I just want to say this is a very nice site. I picked up a set of L40's recently and have been reading through this site extensively ever since.

Keep up the good work!

jim campbell
04-12-2007, 07:00 AM
C'mon, Name names - or is it ok if others get burned by such a character.

THATS the recourse - public humiliation ... public shaming
yeah,what she said!unless you'll feel better if one of us gets hosed too....