PDA

View Full Version : Desert Island Discs

hjames
03-27-2007, 10:37 AM
"If you had to be stranded on a desert island, pick your top Desert Island Discs and tell us why for each one."

The "why" is really the interesting part ... don't leave it out!

Hoerninger
03-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Desert island with restricted eqipment ... :hmm:
Ravi Shankar with traditional indian music. It is like a switch and you come back refreshed. I could hear it every day. (On a desert island you must be creativ to survive.)
Back home again the whole spectrum ...

SEAWOLF97
03-27-2007, 10:54 AM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12298

hjames
03-27-2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12298

Thats odd - didn't work before - but - its a year later, and a different crowd

and again, the WHY of each DID is the intrigue!

One of mine would be Live at Leeds ...
"'cause there ain't no cure for the Summertime Blues"

I'm just a fan of Daltrey's whole shriek at world emotion of that song

I was at a show at the Alexandria Roller Rink in the early 70s ... 3 bands:
Grin, (local guitar hero Nils Lofgren's band in those day), America, and T-Rex.
Grin was great, America - well, they were pop, but not bad ... and the final band ... T-rex started into a miserable version of Summertime Blues and I had to step outside until they finished that song...

SEAWOLF97
03-27-2007, 11:50 AM
and again, the WHY of each DID is the intrigue!.

SANTANA : Abraxas....ITS ETHNIC , EXOTIC , ELECTRIC , EROTIC,, SOME REAL SOUL , THE BEST SANTANA EVER DID

CCR: Willie and the Poor Boys....BEST OF THE "WHITE BOY BLACK MUSIC" , LIKE 2 ALBUMS IN ONE. THEY CAN TAKE "COVERS" AND MAKE IT SOUND LIKE THEIR OWN.

WHO : Who's Next ? ...DALTRYS SCREAMING, THE WHOLETHING FLOWS, GREAT GUITAR

LED ZELLELIN : 1st......ITS LIKE A GREATEST HITS ALBUM

PHILLIP GLASS : Koyaanisqatsi......HYPNOTIC, FANTASTIC PIPE ORGAN TONES

PINK FLOYD : Wish you were here...CONCEPT ALBUM THAT WORKS, THEIR BEST, IMHO

jim campbell
03-27-2007, 12:56 PM
couldn't possibly narrow it down to ten!maybe a margin of error of ten.if that island wont let me have at least a hundred i aint goin'.......but led zep 1 ........willy and the po boys............abraxas .........who's next would definitely be among them

JBL 4645
03-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Here’s my desert island disc for that lonely isolated island. Yes Madonna played loud day and night that is until I get picked up.

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/Brainstorm3417/th_alb13516.jpg

SEAWOLF97
03-27-2007, 02:33 PM
couldn't possibly narrow it down to ten!maybe a margin of error of ten.if that island wont let me have at least a hundred i aint goin'.......but led zep 1 ........willy and the po boys............abraxas .........who's next would definitely be among them

Jim

if you havnt seen or heard Koyaanisqatsi, its a real experience.

http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org/films/k_music.php

TOM

jim campbell
03-27-2007, 02:51 PM
i have it on dvd but no time to watch it yet.ive seen the other one but wont attempt to spell it here

Fred Sanford
03-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Here are some current high-rotation faves:

Led Zeppelin- Physical Grafitti (two discs for one choice!, great variety, raw power of a live/trio band sound with Rover/Kashmir/Time of Dying, plus beautiful melodic songs like Seaside, Night Flight, Ten Years Gone. Lots to delve into, expecially with Jones' choices.)
Brother Cane- Seeds (guitar tones, songs, vocals/harmonies within my range, don't get tired of it, need something to sing along loudly with on this island)
Don Ross- Passion Session (recording quality is beautiful, memorable songs that play in my head for days after hearing the disc, dynamic steel-string acoustic)
John Scofield- A Go Go (this essentially IS what plays in my head, now and for years before this album came out. Scofield & MMW= funky, spacy, fun)
Alice In Chains- Jar Of Flies (an EP, makes up for the LZ double disc- mood thing, love the vocal & guitar harmonies, drums, overall sound)
Rhino Caravan- The Grey Album (friend's band, think Beatles meet Violent Femmes...only better than what you just thought of. Honestly one of my favorite albums of all time. Another fill-your-lungs sing-along. Includes a Monkees cover, even.)
The Beatles- pick one: Abbey Road/Let It Be/Revolver/Sgt. Pepper's (always something to learn or examine, or just plain let it play)
Dan Baird- Love Songs For the Hearing Impaired (Fun, great guitar tones & textures, great recording)
Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies- first album or Magnolia (Singer's a belter, twin guitarists with individual styles and a Southern Rock feel, solid strong drummer, good songs. Reminds me a bit of a band I was in where I was the percussive, dynamic guitarist and my friend Gus was the melodic, violin-toned player. He'd make you hum & memorize his solos, I'd make you wanna play air guitar & make "grrr" faces.)
In Tua Nua- The Long Acre (Great songwriting, some songs to toss but satisfies a craving often enough. Female-fronted Irish band with some sweet, memorable tunes)Highest rotation during my formative R'N'R years:

Led Zeppelin II (or IV) - contrasts, in dynamics/textures/styles/rhythms. The more hippy-ish vocals/lyrics a little tough for me these days, having been sober all my life, but if you're alone on a desert island what the heck, go with it, don't be embarrassed.
Deep Purple- Machine Head (or Made In Japan) - probably mostly for the Gillan vocals, but all the players influenced me for sure. "Never Before" a funk-influenced favorite.
Billy Squier- Don't Say No - I just like it. Everything on this album sounds like any beginner could play it, but it's each musician leaving room for the others that makes it all work. Much more keyboards driving this album than obvious at first listen.
Queen- The Game (or A Day At the Races) - always influenced by them, but (ignoring Bites the Dust) this one (or two) really showed all the band's talents individually. Brian May's a major influence, not that I can play anything like him.
AC/DC- Back In Black (or Dirty Deeds) - seemingly simple, and simply stripped-down brilliant. Mutt Lange beefy-drum production, great elemental guitar interplay, solid (if dopey) songs. Pick your album according to the singer, although production is lacking on DDDDC.
The Who- Live At Leeds - IT'S JUST BIG. Commanding. Perfect balance of manic drumming that 9.5 of 10 times lands on its feet, acrobatic yet anchoring bass playing that just HAD to rearrange the audience's innards, and on/off switch guitars. BIG...then silent...then BIG!
Aerosmith- Toys In the Attic - more than the sum of its parts. Smart band, generally knows what to leave out. Perry not afraid to go with the guitar tone he hears in his head, instead of whatever the current industry standard is. Tylers vocals-as-percussion-instrument always appeals to me, too.
Kansas- Leftoverture (or Two For The Show) - composition, execution. Another big influence. Drummer Phil Ehart is excellent. Love Walsh's vocals. Memorable songs. Tons of textures (vibes, tympani, Rick bass, keys, violin, etc.). Production (Jeff Glixman?) impressive in the way you can pick out & follow any of the many instruments running at any given time.
Van Halen 1 - groundbreaking in '78. Chewy guitar tones, big goofy rock vocals that didn't take themselves too seriously, turned things around at the time.
Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell (or Sold Our Souls For Rock 'N' Roll) - vocals that grew callouses on your vocal cords just from listening along. Geezer cranked on H&H. ...and the scattershot "alternative" years...

Replacements- Pleased To Meet Me (or Tim) - love Paul's songwriting, almost always.
firehose- Ragin', Full-On - garage band production, but seriously muscular interplay between bass & drums. An acquired taste, I'd think.
Husker Du- Flip Your Wig - sticks with me, even with glaring faults. I like lots of Mould's later stuff, too.
Joe Jackson- Look Sharp! - has it all, except I've never heard a good-sounding version of it, and I just know it's good on the master tapes. If there's a re-mix/re-master I should look for, let me know. Exceptional songwriting skills, great stripped-down playing. Graham Maby super on bass.
Police- Outlandos D'Amour - similar to what I wrote in the last choice. Copeland is one of my favorite sloppy adrenaline-influenced drummers, I like him best when he's at his most raw.
REM- Life's Rich Pageant - another turning point in style/songwriting, mostly influential because of when I heard it and what I had been listening to up until then. Still memorable songs.
INXS- Listen Like Thieves - some of the songs really resonated at the time, and the album stands up to scrutiny. Very much driven/sculpted by the keyboardist, and another album that works well because of what was left out- many other bands/producers would have clogged it full of crap.
The Knack- Get The Knack - solid album. Lead guitar really tasty, strong drumming that sounds like a well-tuned set in the room with you. Tight band, good songs.
Big Audio Dynamite- Tighten Up, Vol. 88 - infectious, even though I can't say that any of the individual songs are masterpieces. Just another album that made me forget the current "rules" and feel free to do whatever I felt the song wanted.
The Alarm- Eye Of the Hurricane - I don't know, I guess I just rooted for these guys. The songs were mostly strong, and you could feel that they were really putting themselves into it. Don't know why I kept going back to it, but I did.There are many others, but hey, that's certainly enough typing for now...

je

jim campbell
03-28-2007, 08:52 AM
lots of food for thought there.i never quite got the whole punk thing as when it came out the whole lo fi thing was at odds with where i was going musically and gear wise but im usually more open to unfamiliar music these days.

SEAWOLF97
07-12-2016, 07:38 AM
I picked up another iPod touch yesterday . Restored and reloaded it. Had to test it out, of course , so I put on the new-to-me PSB headphones and plugged in , settled into the rack.

Up came The DOORS GH (beautifully remastered) ... it's a combination of their first + Strange Days + a little of Waiting for the Sun. You don't realize the masterful mixing (Botnick ?) and the great concert of effort between the four players on speakers . The mix and details really are stunning on cans. The mix especially stands out in comparison to some of the very primitive ones in The Beatles tunes of that era.

DID ? The DOORS & - Strange Days were really just an extension of their first and I almost consider them disk 1 & 2 of the same album.

A true treasure ..IMHO ;)

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/recording-mixing-techniques-question-for-steve-the-doors-s-t-debut-and-strange-days-differences.324452/

Joseph Smith Jr
07-12-2016, 08:10 AM
The mix especially stands out in comparison to some of the very primitive ones in The Beatles tunes of that era.
What do you mean by mix, primitive and "era"?
Rubber Soul (1965), Revolver (1966), Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967) primitive?

Joe

hsosdrum
07-12-2016, 02:10 PM
I think he was referring to the mixes being primitive, not the music. Nonetheless, I think Seawolf97 has it backwards—the production values of those Doors recordings seems downright primitive compared with the production values of the Beatles' contemporary recordings (Sgt. Pepper's album and the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane and I Am the Walrus/Baby You're a Rich Man singles). Those Beatles records layered track after track, one on top of the other, and used symphony orchestras and a huge variety of other instruments that never appeared on any Doors album, all expertly fused by George Martin (the ultimate audio alchemist) into a whole that was far, far beyond the mere sum of its parts. Those Doors' remasters might sound wonderful through a good set of headphones, but the Beatles' records' production values really cannot be separated from the music itself, since by then the Beatles regarded the studio itself as but one more instrument to be played as part of their creative process.

And don't forget: the Beatles recorded and mixed all of their records (except, famously, for Abbey Road and Revolution 9 on The Beatles) in mono. None of the Beatles was even present at any of the stereo mixdown sessions for any of their records (which were done to satisfy record company demand, not for any artistic purpose). The Beatles never even listened to any of the music playbacks in stereo while recording in the studio; everything was done through a single monitor.

I like and enjoy the Doors records, but for me they're like a bowl of breakfast cereal compared with the full-course gourmet meal that are the Beatles' recordings from that period.

SEAWOLF97
07-12-2016, 04:02 PM
I think he was referring to the mixes being primitive, not the music..

yes.

has anyone else read the Emmeric book ? 15 y.o. assistant engineer recording the Beatles , his first audio job.
EMI thought so little of them that vinyl was released on their comedy label, and recorded by a kid.

I like their performances, but the FAUX stereo mixes SUCK. Listen to them on headphones. Vocals in one ear , music in the other .. no blend. Rhythm goes in & out w/o regard to the tune. Mostly because it was done on 4 track, then combined and copied over to another 4 track.

The DOORS remaster (afaik) just cleaned up the sound & dynamics and didn't change the mix. Beatles could certainly benefit from a more experienced engineer*. GM was such a great producer that I can't understand why he didn't have more of a hand in the nuts & bolts of engineering.

*but he does write an entertaining book.

Hey Joe ... you are giving away your secret identity with your comments. :crying:

Joseph Smith Jr
07-12-2016, 05:02 PM
The ping pong bathroom stereo effects and reverb was added in America by Capitol and had nothing to do with what the Beatles and George Martin did

Joe

Joseph Smith Jr
07-12-2016, 05:23 PM
EMI thought so little of them that vinyl was released on their comedy label, and recorded by a kid.
That changed pretty quickly after the Introducing the Beatles, Meet the Beatles song list passed, after 1962-63
That comedy label descriptive of Parlophone is a commonly and erroneously repeated myth, Parlophone was primarily a Jazz label at the time
Yeah, it was considered a "specialty" label by some and did have some comedy acts on the roster, the Beatles wound up there because Martin signed them and that just happened to be the division he was running
But few in the business knew exactly what to do with this new thing they called Rock and Roll in 1962, especially music writers and record execs and even fewer thought it would last
Doesn't change the fact that few of the Beatles early recordings needed "fixing" as much as the Doors stuff did to sound good (read what Hoffman had to say in that thread you linked to)
James Brown was distributed in Europe on Parlophone to cite one example
Cilla Black, Billy J. Kramer and the Hollies were also Parlophone artists

You're cherry picking historical context to make some point I really don't understand
Primitive, early era stereo versus mono, no that's another conversation or debate entirely

Joe

Joseph Smith Jr
07-12-2016, 05:33 PM
None of the Beatles was even present at any of the stereo mixdown sessions for any of their records (which were done to satisfy record company demand, not for any artistic purpose). The Beatles never even listened to any of the music playbacks in stereo while recording in the studio; everything was done through a single monitor.
That's not an entirely accurate statement

I like and enjoy the Doors records, but for me they're like a bowl of breakfast cereal compared with the full-course gourmet meal that are the Beatles' recordings from that period.
Now that's a pretty good analogy with which I can concur wholeheartedly

Seriously comparing the Beatles music with that of the Doors is almost laughable, on any level

Some decent tunes compared to innate genius, whether one likes the Beatles or not

Joe

hsosdrum
07-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Getting this thread back on-topic, here are my 5 desert-island discs:

1) Steve Tibbetts: Yr. The finest album of guitar-based music I've ever heard, this album hangs-together like an exquisite single composition, with Tibbetts' virtuoso playing on electric and acoustic guitars always at its center. Unclassifiable in genre, it weaves a different spell every time I listen to it. (BTW, he recorded it in his basement on semi-pro 8-track equipment.)

2) Gene Krupa & Buddy Rich: Krupa and Rich. Gene and Buddy tearing it up in the studio with a first-class group of JATP all-stars. Includes their greatest recorded 'drum battle' (Bernie's Tune), with Gene acquitting himself better against Buddy than at any other time (although it’s still no contest). Two masters at work.

3) Cream: Live Cream, Vol. 1. At its heart, Cream operated like a jazz band playing pop songs, and they were the first rock band to walk the tightrope of collective improvisation during their live performances. When they succeeded in making it all the way across the wire (as they did on this album’s highlight, Sweet Wine) they far outshined all of their contemporaries in rock (Dead fans take note) and even most of their contemporaries in jazz for musical inventiveness, precision and sheer power.

4) Mothers of Invention: Absolutely Free. Frank Zappa brilliantly and inventively blends Louie, Louie covers, jazz improvs and Igor Stravinsky themes with biting social and political commentary in this sophomore release. Contains the peerless Brown Shoes Don’t Make It, Zappa’s first (and IMO, greatest) masterpiece—in reality a complete opera condensed into just 7-1/2 minutes.

5) Yes: Close to the Edge. The ultimate statement of the progressive rock genre. Brilliantly played and sung, the epic title work spans an entire vinyl album side while musically spanning everything from a pastoral sound collage to intense jazz/rock fusion, to many themes and their variations, and through *two* organ solos (pipe and Hammond) before finally dissolving into yet another pastoral sound collage. Rounded out by the beautifully majestic And You And I and hard-driving Siberian Khatru (with passages in 15/8 time), if you’re ever confronted by a Martian who asks “What is progressive rock?”, this is what you play for them.

audiomagnate
10-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Dire Straits/Brothers in Arms 2014 Japanese SHM-SACD

This is an astoundingly good recording!

Bigsbyguy
02-26-2017, 01:41 PM
I'd smuggle the entire 15 CD series "How the West was Swung" by the late Tom Morrell and the TimeWarp~TopHands
But to stay on point, 1 record? Sinatra Live at the Sands. Why? Sinatra & Basie.

Fritz The Cat
02-28-2017, 10:16 AM
I'd smuggle the entire 15 CD series "How the West was Swung" by the late Tom Morrell and the TimeWarp~TopHands
But to stay on point, 1 record? Sinatra Live at the Sands. Why? Sinatra & Basie.

There will not exist any currant supply on desert island. So you will sing all those fantastic songs by heart.
Pack them into your brain.........

Fritz The Cat
08-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Definitively a big one on vinyl.

Fritz The Cat
01-11-2018, 12:58 AM
Because he was the last of the great romantic musicians and poets.

BMWCCA
01-12-2018, 04:53 AM
There will not exist any currant supply on desert island.
Just pack your own jelly!

The deterioration of this thread begun by "Joseph Smith, Jr" is now perpetuated by Fritz the Cat. :banghead:

1audiohack
01-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Just pack your own jelly...

“Currant” Nice catch!

Barry.

BMWCCA
01-12-2018, 06:19 PM
“Currant” Nice catch!
Every comedian needs a good straight man!

Fritz The Cat
01-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Just pack your own jelly!

The deterioration of this thread begun by "Joseph Smith, Jr" is now perpetuated by Fritz the Cat. :banghead:

Oh no! Da habe ich aber einen bösen Bock geschossen! A Freudian slip. But it's a little bit funny, isn't it? P.S. I like those "Black Currants"! Is there any black current on desert island?

Fritz The Cat
01-13-2018, 03:00 PM
“Currant” Nice catch!

Barry.

Hey! We talk four languages here in Switzerland. And sometimes (if we have to) we also speak or write in English....

SEAWOLF97
01-13-2018, 03:17 PM
I'd have to add TYA's "A Space in Time" . have read that it was so well recorded that a remaster is not needed.

WHY ?? Listen to it, self evident.*

If ASiT didn't exist, Cricklewwod Green would be a good substitute.

*have also read that A Lee didn't like it, too commercial for him. :crying:

Fritz The Cat
01-15-2018, 01:00 AM
DID's: these 3 anthologies. Because it's a Magical History Tour.
(History: this is not a writing error)

Fritz The Cat
01-23-2018, 11:36 AM
Because this is one of the best live recordings ever. Engineered by Eddie Kramer at Electric Lady Studios. Listen to great guitar playing by Peter Frampton.

hjames
01-24-2018, 05:49 AM
There will not exist any current supply on desert island. So you will sing all those fantastic songs by heart.
Pack them into your brain.........

Please try and stay on topic - and take your endless daily "Now Playing here" play list back to the OTHER thread you have monopolized.
One endless list is enough, ok??

This thread is basically for a SINGLE Posting!! Give other folks some room!

5 Must-have Desert Island Discs ... hmmm - ok!

Dire Straits - Alchemy (Live recording at the peak of their career)

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark - OR - For the Roses

Paul Simon's Graceland - such infectious songs and amazing rhythms!

Steely Dan's Aja - OR - Donald Fagen's The NightFly (hard to choose)

The Who - Who's Next - OR - Quadrophenia (forget Tommy - its worn and overplayed)

Kept thinking I ought to pull in some Miles (Live at Cellar Door - but thats a Multidisc release, so its cheating)
or some Bill Evans (Consecration, or The last Waltz - again, they are multidisc release - so - spoilers)
even Beck's SeaChange - but that really needs to be the SACD or PureAudio surround mix, so ... no.
Even the breakthrough sound of the first Roxy Music album has gotten old now and I can only take it every so often (and I'm a HUGE fan)

Fritz The Cat
01-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Please try and stay on topic - and take your endless daily "Now Playing here" play list back to the OTHER thread you have monopolized.
One endless list is enough, ok??

This thread is basically for a SINGLE Posting!! Give other folks some room!

5 Must-have Desert Island Discs ... hmmm - ok!

Dire Straits - Alchemy (Live recording at the peak of their career)

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark - OR - For the Roses

Paul Simon's Graceland - such infectious songs and amazing rhythms!

Steely Dan's Aja - OR - Donald Fagen's The NightFly (hard to choose)

The Who - Who's Next - OR - Quadrophenia (forget Tommy - its worn and overplayed)

Kept thinking I ought to pull in some Miles (Live at Cellar Door - but thats a Multidisc release, so its cheating)
or some Bill Evans (Consecration, or The last Waltz - again, they are multidisc release - so - spoilers)
even Beck's SeaChange - but that really needs to be the SACD or PureAudio surround mix, so ... no.
Even the breakthrough sound of the first Roxy Music album has gotten old now and I can only take it every so often (and I'm a HUGE fan)

I hope, i will not strand on the same desert island where you are living .....
You say: "Hey you, get off of my cloud." I say: "I don't want to spoil your party, so i go"
Ok, ich werde hiermit "Euren" Thread nicht mehr missbrauchen, ihr Mimosen!

hjames
01-24-2018, 11:00 AM
I hope, i will not strand on the same desert island where you are living .....
You say: "Hey you, get off of my cloud." I say: "I don't want to spoil your party, so i go"
Ok, ich werde hiermit "Euren" Thread nicht mehr missbrauchen, ihr Mimosen!

So post your top 5 Desert Island discs and have at it.
Just let others have a say in it afterwards, okey?

SEAWOLF97
01-27-2018, 08:20 AM
I'm currently listening to the 2 disc remastered set of Led Zeppelin 4 (ZoSo). Disc 2 is alternative
versions of the same track set on #1. Some have no vocals.

IF I hadn't already listed LZ1 as a DID , then LZ4 would be a good choice. :D

this remastered version is sonically excellent on both the Sony SACD player
and the 24/192 DVD deck.

https://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Deluxe-Remastered-Vinyl/dp/B00M30TORU

SEAWOLF97
08-26-2018, 10:48 AM
On my nearly daily bike rides (it's tough being retired ;) ) , the little nano always comes
along. It's the square one , mine is in a watch band mount and easy to modulate volume
by touch. 8GB may seem small these days, but that's still a lot of MP3's, and NO, sounds
don't get blocked out ... my ear hanger buds are pretty loose and I can have a conversation
while the music is going.

Anyway ...... I have 2 "old friends" on the Nano that don't normally make the DID list, but
when they come on , I just feel like pulling over and giving them full attention.

1. Brewer & Shipley* ‎– Tarkio 1970 Notes: The album is titled "Tarkio Road" on labels.
https://www.discogs.com/Brewer-And-Shipley-Tarkio/master/258522

famous for "One toke over the Line" , but get into the album and it is so much more.

To most folks, “One Toke Over The Line” was a one hit novelty record, though truth be told, while Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead, didn't play on this track, Jerry did lay down some sweet peddle steel guitar on the rest of the album, making them a sort of west coast Simon & Garfunkel. Brewer & Shipley laced their music with light-handed jangling pop influenced countrified flavors that went down easy, especially when mixed with their tender ballads of introspection …

2. José Feliciano ‎– Feliciano! 1968
https://www.discogs.com/Jos%C3%A9-Feliciano-Feliciano/master/71248
yeah, it's mostly covers , but the production values are just so nice , it all jells

FoxMulder900
- California Dreamin'
- Light My Fire

dlgale1974 October 28, 2014
referencing Feliciano!, LP, Album, RE, SF 7946
As they say in the film Fargo, "you know with Jose Feliciano ya got no complaints." Yes, he's a bit of a cabaret act and it's a bit lightweight but this is a great album, he interprets others songs beautifully, never more so than with his version of California Dreamin'.

Fritz The Cat
08-27-2018, 10:33 AM
On my nearly daily bike rides (it's tough being retired ;) ) , the little nano always comes
along. It's the square one , mine is in a watch band mount and easy to modulate volume
by touch. 8GB may seem small these days, but that's still a lot of MP3's, and NO, sounds
don't get blocked out ... my ear hanger buds are pretty loose and I can have a conversation
while the music is going.

Anyway ...... I have 2 "old friends" on the Nano that don't normally make the DID list, but
when they come on , I just feel like pulling over and giving them full attention.

1. Brewer & Shipley* ‎– Tarkio 1970 Notes: The album is titled "Tarkio Road" on labels.
https://www.discogs.com/Brewer-And-Shipley-Tarkio/master/258522

famous for "One toke over the Line" , but get into the album and it is so much more.

To most folks, “One Toke Over The Line” was a one hit novelty record, though truth be told, while Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead, didn't play on this track, Jerry did lay down some sweet peddle steel guitar on the rest of the album, making them a sort of west coast Simon & Garfunkel. Brewer & Shipley laced their music with light-handed jangling pop influenced countrified flavors that went down easy, especially when mixed with their tender ballads of introspection …

2. José Feliciano ‎– Feliciano! 1968
https://www.discogs.com/Jos%C3%A9-Feliciano-Feliciano/master/71248
yeah, it's mostly covers , but the production values are just so nice , it all jells

FoxMulder900
- California Dreamin'
- Light My Fire

dlgale1974 October 28, 2014
referencing Feliciano!, LP, Album, RE, SF 7946
As they say in the film Fargo, "you know with Jose Feliciano ya got no complaints." Yes, he's a bit of a cabaret act and it's a bit lightweight but this is a great album, he interprets others songs beautifully, never more so than with his version of California Dreamin'.

50 years since this jewel. Great bass playing by Ray Brown. (Isn't this one a litte bit too much sugarcoated by violins?)

SEAWOLF97
08-27-2018, 11:05 AM
50 years since this jewel. Great bass playing by Ray Brown. (Isn't this one a litte bit too much sugarcoated by violins?)

maybe dust them off b4 playing ?

Fritz The Cat
08-27-2018, 01:32 PM
maybe dust them off b4 playing ?

No dust at all on my LPs! They are clean. I use the Hannl washing machine!