PDA

View Full Version : L7 Crossover

Audiokarma
03-24-2007, 09:44 AM
I have not personally heard an L7 but it seems from my own experience that I can spot one inherent design issue that most likely contributes to the difficult placement issues I've read about.

The side firing woofer crosses over at 170Hz. From my experience, low frequencies over 100Hz become more and more directional. It seems fairly obvious that these side firing woofers are going to cause some strange imaging issues, depending on placement and room acoustics. I'd suggest that the 8" mid bass driver would probably be more than capable of delivering the goods on anything over 80Hz. If I had designed the L7, I would have treated the side firing woofer as a sub and crossed it over to the 8" at somewhere between 80-100Hz.

As far as crossover mods, I have to admit I am not technically inclined, but I wonder if a mod could me done to change the X-over point?

Any thoughts on above would be appreciated.

Audiobeer
03-24-2007, 10:21 AM
There's a few L-7 owners here, I think Zilch or TI may own a pair. I owned a pair at one time and for the closeout price of $800 I just could not imagine a speaker value at the time that equaled that. I never had any placement problems other than toe in. They are great speakers.

Titanium Dome
03-24-2007, 10:51 AM
You can go here to find out a lot about the L7 and other L Series (1990s) speakers.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7498

Specific info on the L7, including the crossover begins around post #48.

Keep reading to the posts with the pictures of the two networks and the diagram. I think the key to your last question lies with the blue jumper.

I'm going to copy your post and move it to the L Series (1990s) thread so it's attached. :)