PDA

View Full Version : Everest review in german Audio

vuki
03-24-2007, 08:09 AM
There is nice review (measurements etc.) of new EVEREST in german AUDIO magazine. The Everest is their new reference loudspeaker :)

http://www.audio.de/d/150102

Rolf
03-24-2007, 12:13 PM
There is nice review (measurements etc.) of new EVEREST in german AUDIO magazine. The Everest is their new reference loudspeaker :)

http://www.audio.de/d/150102

Can someone please translate this?

hjames
03-24-2007, 12:35 PM

Would that be this post - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=158149&postcount=56

from a thread already in progress?

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13732&highlight=German+review

Titanium Dome
03-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Would that be this post - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=158149&postcount=56

from a thread already in progress?

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13732&highlight=German+review

Why, Heather, yes it would. ;)

Domino
03-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Where can I see and hear these speakers??

JBLnsince1959
03-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Where can I see and hear these speakers??

If your local Best Buy doesn't have them, then you may have to go to Japan, Germany or Norway.....

Zilch
03-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Where can I see and hear these speakers??Northridge, maybe, by appointment.

[With a letter of credit from you bank.... ;) ]

MJC
03-29-2007, 09:14 AM
If your local Best Buy doesn't have them, then you may have to go to Japan, Germany or Norway.....
BB, good luck with that one, Magnolia HT won't even have them. In fact, the last time I looked in my local BB they didn't have ANY JBLs.

Northridge, maybe, by appointment.

[With a letter of credit from you bank.... ;) ]
Or maybe they charge a fee to have a listen.

JBLnsince1959
03-29-2007, 07:42 PM
BB, good luck with that one, Magnolia HT won't even have them. In fact, the last time I looked in my local BB they didn't have ANY JBLs.

The Best Buy remark was a joke....surely you didn't think I was serious....:D

Kinda like Best Buy is a joke..

somehow the thought of finding the very best in Audio at BB is purely an oxymoron.

Hofmannhp
03-29-2007, 11:57 PM

Hi Rolf,

this is only the "announcement" of the test and not very helpful.

Today later I get the real test and will translate and post it here.

HP

MJC
03-30-2007, 12:04 AM
Ya, I know you were joking, but the real oxymoron is that BB is surviving and CC, Tweeters, like the Good Guys, already, are going down the tube.
Next, it will be just BB and Walmart for the average joe looking for his A/V fix.
That's just too sick, guess JBL will have to become mainly a ID like many other companies are now. First it was Outlaw, now there are almost too many to count.
There will be still a few B&M with High End gear, but not as many as there used to be. The fact I never was able to audition the PT800 before I bought them would suggest I will probably never hear the Everest.:(

MJC
03-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Hofmannhp, it a little late, they tried to make USA metric back in the '70s. It failed, big time. Auto engines are about the only thing that when metric and they still have both metric and US standard bolts.
I remember most people were yelling about gas pumps, they were changed to read liters when gas went over .99/gallon. (the gas pumps didn't have a third digit to read 1.10). They thought they were getting screwed. It didn't bother me, putting $10 of gas in the tank still made the gas gauge read to the same level, no matter what the pump read.

Hoerninger
03-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Today later I get the real test and will translate and post it here.

Moin HP,

do not do too much ;) . A part of it you will find here at place (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=158612&postcount=61)

hjames
03-30-2007, 06:28 AM
<playful sarcasm>
Sure - and its SO much more impressive when the speedo hits 100 in Europe (that would be 100kph), instead of the lame 100mph that we are used to seeing in the US ...

Blame it on the King's lead foot
</playful sarcasm>

Hi MJC,

I had a great fun reading the words from a governments time schedule from about 1972. (that's where I stole this avatar temporarely)

The USA is one of the lonely "islands" using inch, foot and etc.
Look at JBL (since some years) , or NASA, or Boeing, or.....they all went to metric.
I am happy for having the metric system here and everywhere.

only my thoughts

HP

MJC
03-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Back to the Everest, as things are right now, at least in the USA, the Everest will never be seen by 99.9% of the public. And that's because it will only be sold thru Synthesis dealers (I'm assuming). Most, if not all, of the Synthesis dealers don't have showrooms. Its a real shame, aside from the fact that most of that 99.9% could not afford the Everest anyway.
Its the same with the K2 and the Project Array series, Synthesis dealers only.
From what I've seen lately on the net, the electronic chain stores, in this country, only have the JBL series that would be considered below the Studio L series, in price and quality.
Tweeters did have the PS and Studio L, but they are gone, in light of Tweeters closing all its stores in CA. I've never been into a Tweeters, but I thought they were a bit more upscale from BB or CC. From what I've read the last two days, on AVS, that would be a wrong assumption.
So here we have the largest speaker company in the world with no retail outlets displaying the better quality speakers, from PS to Everest.

Zilch
03-30-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't know what the answer is. Company stores certainly haven't worked out for those that have tried them.

BB and Synthesis dealers should get together and put up a High End JBL display room. It'd draw customers to BB for lower-tier product, and the Synthesis dealer woud get the referrals for those few who could actually afford the products, and do demos there.

My local CC has such a room, no JBL, alas. All of the stuff in there is only available "by special order." The room is locked, but I am welcome to drool lookin' through the glass.... :p

MJC
03-30-2007, 12:44 PM
We already know from Ti Dome's experience with Mag HT, when he took a pair of PT800 into their store to do a comparision with their speaker lines, that MAG won't sell JBLs. Which is the same for the shop where I bought my 65" HDTV.
Its been quite a few years since I saw any JBLs in CC. And the last time I saw any high end JBLs in NW NV was around '87. The Reno CC had a pair of 250Ti playing in the area between the outter and inner doors.

There is a guy, in the business, @ AVS, that is predicting that CC will be out of business in 3~5 years.
And at what ever point in time it was that JBLs showed up in BB they only had the lower end series.
It sure be a welcome event if mid to high end JBLs became more prominent in the B&M world, or some kind of chain store.

Titanium Dome
03-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Well, at one point you could at least see last year's mid-fi stuff at the Harman outlets, but I think they've been closed in favor of Harman Direct.

Retail electronics outlets are quickly disappearing, with one notable exception. The Apple Store. They're adding more stores every year and the sales and profits keep climbing.

I don't know how you translate Apple's success to JBL/Harman, but the common perception is that Apple products are more expensive, are harder to find, aren't as capable as brands used by "experts," maybe are no longer even made, and don't have the commodity appeal of HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo, and other mass market brands. Yet the stores prosper.

There is a parallel here, in that the average audio consumer perceives JBLs as more expensive, harder to find, not as capable as brands extolled by "audio experts," maybe no longer even in production, and not having the commodity appeal of Bose, Athena, or Paradigm.

As I wrote, the comparison from Apple to JBL is taut, but I think it holds. After all, JBL has a much deeper market penetration than Apple, and the ability of Apple to even survive was routinely questioned. Almost everyone thought the stores would flop (like Gateway).

johnaec
03-30-2007, 05:37 PM
There is a parallel here, in that the average audio consumer perceives JBLs as more expensive, harder to find, not as capable as brands extolled by "audio experts," maybe no longer even in production, and not having the commodity appeal of Bose, Athena, or Paradigm.I think with the proper marketing JBL could do this and own the home audio market! They have to recreate the mystique they once had! Bose has just about done this, and look what they have to offer... :barf:

John

MJC
03-30-2007, 05:42 PM
There is a parallel here, in that the average audio consumer perceives JBLs as more expensive, harder to find, not as capable as brands extolled by "audio experts," maybe no longer even in production, and not having the commodity appeal of Bose, Athena, or Paradigm.

I don't agree that most consumers see JBLs as more expensive, because the majority of them, at least in US, have only seen JBLs in BB, Fry's the last decade, and the BB lines are low end. And now Tweeter no longer has the PT800 and Studio L series. And Fry's don't have the Studio L anymore. They both show, on their web sites cheaper series.
I read, just today over at AVS, some guy was saying how he bought Ascends, which are ID only, and saying how much he liked them for his HT but liked B&W better for music, but bought the Ascends because he saw those as a better value. These types think the ID are a better deal but don't really know what a good speaker system is.
We both know our PS will blow away any of those units, for both HT and music. But they have no way of knowing that, because they have never seen the PS.

Titanium Dome
03-30-2007, 08:49 PM
:)

True, they've mostly only seen the low end stuff, but they still think it's overpriced for what they get. I'm certain you've read on AVS, Audioreview forums, and other places that the "Junk But Loud" crowd criticizes the JBLs for costing more than their POS ID brands with tiny "real" wood cabinets and tiny plastic drivers.

How many times have you seen some knucklehead talk someone out of buying Northridge E Series or Studio L Series because there's an ID brand that's much, much "better" at a lower price? Many times I dare say.

Then when someone (other than you or me) does bring up JBL it's either a trip down memory lane or a reference to K2s, or Synthesis, or now the Everest II, with the inevitable conclusion that JBLs are way over priced for "decent speakers" and how there are dozens and dozens of better brands that cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much.

:)

MJC
03-31-2007, 07:24 AM
Ya, I can see your point. But I would not refer to the PS, K2, Everest as "decent speakers" it should be "very good" or "superb", or in the case of the E II "the best".
"decent speakers" might be alright for describing the L890. Of all the people we know of that has checked out the Studio Ls, only one thought what he already had was better. All the rest bought and kept or are planning on buying more of them. The problem now, it would seem, is that the Studio L series has become an internet only speaker. Frys, Tweeter aren't showing them now and BB never did.

One thing I've stopped doing, on AVS, is to refer to "our" speakers as PS, I always call them PT800. Because if someone over there were to take a look on the JBL site to check out the "real" PS I wouldn't want that person to get confused by all the selections that pop up now. I like to refer to the PT800, PC600 as JBL's top of the line "dome tweeter based" speakers.

paragon
04-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Great !

A Horn without a hornsound !! Never judge a book by its cover !!
Can`t translate.
"Männerlautsprecher mit unendlich Pegel und Dynamik. Sehr neutral.
Überragend. Referenzklasse !
Gratuliere !! JBL hats geschafft !! Ein Profilautsprecher in der Referenzklasse !! Was will man mehr ? Verbeuge mich.:applaud:
Hab das schon immer gewußt !

Eckhard ;)

pangea
04-22-2007, 04:37 AM
Great !

A Horn without a hornsound !! Never judge a book by its cover !!
Can`t translate.
"Männerlautsprecher mit unendlich Pegel und Dynamik. Sehr neutral.
Überragend. Referenzklasse !
Gratuliere !! JBL hats geschafft !! Ein Profilautsprecher in der Referenzklasse !! Was will man mehr ? Verbeuge mich.:applaud:
Hab das schon immer gewußt !

Eckhard ;)

Translation:
Loudspeakers for men, with infinite SPL and dynamic´s. Very neutral. Outstanding. Reference speaker!
Congratulations!! JBL has done it!! A speaker for pros in reference class!!
What else could one wish for? I take a deep bow.

/Roland